Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater - anyone up on this?

In article ,
wrote:
.... and it costs more than twice the old ones to buy. I am not
convinced by the efficiency claims and I doubt it will be any warmer at
the end of the day ( but may well lamp my daytime electricity with that
fan.

Not really surprised they cost more these days. Must have very limited
production compared to years ago.

Older ones are such simple devices it must be possible to repair one?

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 11:03:44 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
.... and it costs more than twice the old ones to buy. I am not
convinced by the efficiency claims and I doubt it will be any warmer at
the end of the day ( but may well lamp my daytime electricity with that
fan.

Not really surprised they cost more these days. Must have very limited
production compared to years ago.

Older ones are such simple devices it must be possible to repair one?

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Well, OH thinks they should be repairable but the part concerned is an obsolete one - and to make things worse, it seems they had several types back when and it is difficult to work out which, although we have been given the link to one here which could do the job. It looks the same but has a different number on it.

More than that the new replacement isnt quite the same .

I would be happy to get a new storage heater . I am inclined to go for the old type because I can get one it seems for £200 . The new type will cost me £560 for the same size - and thats another problem because they seem to have altered those in the same way as they altered light bulbs - you know, the new x wattage = 40 watts old style or whatever.
Anyway, its not the same sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2018 10:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 02:31:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

However, this one is for a bedroom and I am not convinced any fan is so
silent it is suitable in a bedroom or that I need it there.

That depends on the fan. Small and fast, like PC fans, are noisey.
Large and slow are not.

I did ask Dimplex directly if they could tell me if the new storage
heaters could run a fan from a 3 pin plug supply but they were not best
pleased and told me I needed to get an installer ..... so more cost. OH
can do it nicely, thanks.

Dimplex instruction manuals are on the web.

For one example here
https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/xl...storage-heater
I don't know if that is the one you are looking at but I would be
surprised if they are not all similar.

And the instructions say

The peak supply must be connected via a switched fused spur with a fuse
rated suitably for the appliances flex, the off-peak supply ,
via a 20A double pole switch. Failure to follow these
instructions will mean that the manufacturers instructions have not
been adhered to. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS

€¢ This heater must be earthed
€¢ Not suitable for connection via a plug top
€¢ Do not locate the heater immediately above or below a fixed electrical
point i

On the "consumer" or "techincal" helpline? That would be the expected
response from the consumer helpline - arse covering. Most people
don't have a half a clue about anything "practical".

See if you can get the installation instuctions and/or a full
specification sheet. The former should tell you want any permenant
supply needs to be, the later should enable you to work it out.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't know where you are but there's a Dimplex storage heater thats been sitting forlornly in my shed for about ten years since I installed an oil fired wet system. If you can transport it from Gilberdyke you're welcome to come over and get it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

can he not fix the bimetal stat? Or find out what the tripping temp is & fit one from somewhere else?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Have you thought of replacing the storage heater with a wall mounted
plug in convector heater.

You should be able to get one for around £50. e.g
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-moun...er-1500w/8560p

If it is for a bedroom running costs would be comparable with the
storage heater as you shouldn't need to heat it for 24 hours only when
occupied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 19:40:04 +0100, Tufnell Park wrote:

If it is for a bedroom running costs would be comparable with the
storage heater as you shouldn't need to heat it for 24 hours only when
occupied.

That very much depends on the building. The heating is never off here
otherwise the structure cools down and it takes, literally, days to
warm back up and the place become comfortable again. About half of
the days since the begining of August have had the heating come on at
1600 when the setpoint changes from 18.5 to 20C. With no heat things
get cold (10C) and noticeably damp.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2018 20:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 19:40:04 +0100, Tufnell Park wrote:

If it is for a bedroom running costs would be comparable with the
storage heater as you shouldn't need to heat it for 24 hours only when
occupied.

That very much depends on the building. The heating is never off here
otherwise the structure cools down and it takes, literally, days to
warm back up and the place become comfortable again. About half of
the days since the begining of August have had the heating come on at
1600 when the setpoint changes from 18.5 to 20C. With no heat things
get cold (10C) and noticeably damp.

Maybe so, but this situation is AIUI a bedroom in a house heated by
other NSR's which only requires heating when occupied.

I am only suggesting a panel heater to replace the faulty NSR not the
whole of the house.

Advice on size and nbr of storage heaters [email protected] UK diy 3 November 10th 12 07:52 PM
Old Creda Storage heater spares and repair Neil UK diy 4 October 23rd 06 09:31 PM
Folding door systems (eg. ID-Systems, Sunseeker, etc ..) [email protected] UK diy 2 July 5th 06 11:28 PM
Change to Econ. 7 and new storage heaters (electrics question) fred UK diy 8 September 23rd 05 12:18 AM