Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Creda Storage heater spares and repair

Hi All,

I have a really old Creda storage heater, one from the seventies I'd
guess, its about 5ft tall and sits in its own cupboard. This unit
heats the whole house by fanning warm air through a series of ducts
into all the rooms.

I have been really pleased with it since I moved in about 6 years ago
as it means no radiators or heaters on the walls, and the warm air
heats the room very quickly.

Problem is the fan seems to have packed in. The unit itself still
heats up, I can feel it on the unit itself but the fan doesnt go any
more (the timer unit

I took the front panel off and had a look, the fan is a cylindrical
unit, which (unless Scrapheap Challenge has lied to me) i think is an
impellar type fan.

I have looked all rpound the internet and emailed Creda but have had no
joy. Does anyone know of electricians experienced with these type of
eaters, or know of places that stock spares?

I realy dont want to replace the whole system as I have been really
happy with it.

Also, as a complete out there type idea from my basic physics GCSE, is
it possible to re wire the existing fan core motor and maybe replace
the magnets, or am I completely deluding myself about the simplicity of
a fan motor???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil wrote:
Also, as a complete out there type idea from my basic physics GCSE, is
it possible to re wire the existing fan core motor and maybe replace
the magnets, or am I completely deluding myself about the simplicity of
a fan motor???

Probably the magnets have run out of magnetivity so get some new ones
or take the old ones in to be recharged.

Seriously, I guess you might be able to find a similar spec'd motor and
use that instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think I've found the holy grail of
old storage heater websites

http://www.storageheater.co.uk/

Why google never found this before I dont know.

Anyway it has pictures of all Creda storage heaters including parts,
numbers, prices etc.

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

Neil wrote:

Also, as a complete out there type idea from my basic physics GCSE, is
it possible to re wire the existing fan core motor and maybe replace
the magnets, or am I completely deluding myself about the simplicity of
a fan motor???

Probably the magnets have run out of magnetivity so get some new ones
or take the old ones in to be recharged.

It is almost certain to be an induction motor... so no permenent
magnets! ;-)

Seriously, I guess you might be able to find a similar spec'd motor and
use that instead.

If you can get the old motor out, then there is a fair chance of finding
a replacement since they often have standard fixing centres and shaft
sizes.

If you want a manufactures original part, then phone CPC since they do
all sorts of white goods spares (note you have to phone them for this
service since most of the white goods stuff is not on their web site).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Neil
writes
Hi All,

I have a really old Creda storage heater, one from the seventies I'd
guess, its about 5ft tall and sits in its own cupboard. This unit
heats the whole house by fanning warm air through a series of ducts
into all the rooms.

.... ...

Also, as a complete out there type idea from my basic physics GCSE, is
it possible to re wire the existing fan core motor and maybe replace
the magnets, or am I completely deluding myself about the simplicity of
a fan motor???

I would expect that it is a shaded pole motor - no magnets

You could send it in to me and I can see what we can do with it

details at www.cetltd.com

--
geoff

Spares or repair ? T i m UK diy 13 December 11th 05 07:32 PM
Spares for 30 yr old 'Main' water heater? R.P.McMurphy UK diy 8 November 19th 05 11:20 AM