Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replaccment flat roof costs?

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs per
square metre for a double garage?

Either torch on felt or that new ODPM ?,stuff and the way its sagged i
expect new rood boarding to replace the likely bu^^ered chipboard appx
36 meters square of it too! Mid Anglia area?.

Cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs per
square metre for a double garage?

Either torch on felt or that new ODPM ?,stuff and the way its sagged i
expect new rood boarding to replace the likely bu^^ered chipboard appx
36 meters square of it too! Mid Anglia area?.

Cheers..

There's a number of choices:

Fibreglass - needs to be done by people who understand it and do it all
the time - can be buggered up easily by random people who don't
understand it and don't read the instructions.
(Based on 2 stories recounted to me)

ODPM - ditto I suspect.

Torch on felt - probably the easiest to find competent operators. Should
last 15+ years if done right.

Metal - overlooked option. I don't mean lead (heavy) or copper
(nickable) - more thinking ali or zinc. Should be very long lived if
done right.

Pressed corrugated ali sheets are pretty common as roofing in industrial
settings so should be easy to find someone who can do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 19:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs per
square metre for a double garage?

As for prices:

20m2 cost me £1800+VAT in 2012, BUT that included replacing the OSB
decking AND adding 50mm celotex between the rafters.

But it might give you an idea.

I would expect the felt operation to be perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 of the above.
Sorry, my quote was not itemised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 19:30, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs per
square metre for a double garage?

Either torch on felt or that new ODPM ?,stuff and the way its sagged i
expect new rood boarding to replace the likely bu^^ered chipboard appx
36 meters square of it too! Mid Anglia area?.

Cheers..

There's a number of choices:

Fibreglass - needs to be done by people who understand it and do it all
the time - can be buggered up easily by random people who don't
understand it and don't read the instructions.
(Based on 2 stories recounted to me)

ODPM - ditto I suspect.

EPDM?

I suspect - I mentally auto corrected that

Torch on felt - probably the easiest to find competent operators. Should
last 15+ years if done right.

Metal - overlooked option. I don't mean lead (heavy) or copper
(nickable) - more thinking ali or zinc. Should be very long lived if
done right.

Pressed corrugated ali sheets are pretty common as roofing in industrial
settings so should be easy to find someone who can do it.

Are you thinking of the ubiquitous plastic coated steel "wiggly
tin" profiled sheet roofing?

Possibly including that - but if I were paying, I'd look at the ali
options as the fitting should be much the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 19:34, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 19:30, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs
per
square metre for a double garage?

Either torch on felt or that newÂ* ODPM ?,stuff and the way its sagged i
[...]

Â* tin" profiled sheet roofing?

Possibly including that - but if I were paying, I'd look at the ali
options as the fitting should be much the same.

I have "wiggly tin" on a stables; cheap, noisy, good if you actually
want ventilation, and quick to fit so probably cheaper than felt, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 20:13, Jim K wrote:

Ali = £££ shurely?

Possibly £££ but I'm not aware of it being a highly nickable material -
at least not in the same league as copper.

With any luck, a passing tea leaf might perhaps assume it is just
painted steel?

Dunno for sure - just my theories...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/08/18 19:30, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Ali = £££ shurely? & attendant gypos?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 19:20, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 19:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs per
square metre for a double garage?

As for prices:

20m2 cost me £1800+VAT in 2012, BUT that included replacing the OSB
decking AND adding 50mm celotex between the rafters.

But it might give you an idea.

I would expect the felt operation to be perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 of the above.
Sorry, my quote was not itemised.

That was cheap. £100 per square metre for new OSB decking and builtup
felt seems to be typical figure now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 18:58, tony sayer wrote:
new rood boarding to replace the likely bu^^ered chipboard

What is rood boarding ?.

Being a garage you must be able to see the underside of the
roof, so any wet and sagging chipboard is obvious.

You've had 3 months of dry weather to have it done, and
now it will be wet for a week or so, then getting hotter
again !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 20:53, Andrew wrote:
On 09/08/2018 18:58, tony sayer wrote:
new rood boarding to replace the likely bu^^ered chipboard

What is rood boarding ?.

I'm guessing "roof" typed on a phone with fat fingers

I too hate typing on smart phones....

Being a garage you must be able to see the underside of the
roof, so any wet and sagging chipboard is obvious.

You've had 3 months of dry weather to have it done, and
now it will be wet for a week or so,

then getting hotter
again !!

Really - oh bum. I rather like it at present.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/18 20:50, Andrew wrote:
On 09/08/2018 19:20, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 19:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/08/18 18:58, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone recently had any flat roofing work done and idea of the costs
per
square metre for a double garage?

As for prices:

20m2 cost me £1800+VAT in 2012, BUT that included replacing the OSB
decking AND adding 50mm celotex between the rafters.

But it might give you an idea.

I would expect the felt operation to be perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 of the
above. Sorry, my quote was not itemised.

That was cheap. £100 per square metre for new OSB decking and builtup
felt seems to be typical figure now.

Yes - I guess it was a good deal. To be fair, the scaffolding was
already up for the roof tiles and they bloke was on site. The flat roof
only became apparent how bad it was when they were up it to do the
tiling around it.

Turned out the original deck was chipboard and was pretty much knackered
- and that the last person to felt the roof had applied about 3 layers
over the existing layers, so it was basically just "structural" felt!