Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Escaping from a fire.

I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a
fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to
the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.

someone has long arms

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh yes, have you ever tried this with modern windows and buildings?
If you tried this in my house you might get stuck in the opening bit, or
find the window sill is only a couple of inches wide.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"harry" wrote in message
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to
the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harry
wrote:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a
fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary. If you are ever in that situation, climb out of
the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and
let go. You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

Nearer 6 foot here and there's a very prickly rose bush to land in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Oh yes, have you ever tried this with modern windows and buildings?
If you tried this in my house you might get stuck in the opening bit, or
find the window sill is only a couple of inches wide.

Brian

that is why first floor windows should be a certain min size to serve as
escape windows ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 07:24, harry wrote:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

I'd like to see you take the time to turn around to do that when there's
a fire up your arse. Indeed, I'd pay to watch.

And that's assuming you don't have to smash the window to get out.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:53:18 +0100, charles wrote:

If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and

hang on
to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go. You are

only
four feet off the ground in most situations. Injuries likely to be

nil.

And the seven year old? You climb out and hang on they then climb
down you, and drop off, in theory.

Nearer 6 foot here and there's a very prickly rose bush to land in.

Similar drop here as well but better that, prickly bush or not, than
staying in the room making friends with Mr Fire.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 07:24, harry wrote:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

You are assuming that the escaping person is thinking clearly. I have
had experience of trying to clear one floor of building where there was
copious smoke, but, as it turned out, no real danger of fire - it was a
boiler feed blow-back that was burning lots of oil, but wouldn't have
spread. Most people acted sensibly, but some went into a blind panic.

In the end, the only way to get one bloke out was to open a window and
drop to the ground. I am over six feet tall, but it needed people at
ground level to hold onto us and help us down for it to be safe.

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 07:53, tim... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a
fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on
to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.

someone has long arms

Moreover when they hit the deck their knees will be shattered as they
bend into the wall. I doubt very much if the average person would have
the strength to hold onto a windowsill whilst climbing out and they
would be more likely to end up falling in an uncontrolled manner.

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building landing with legs partially bent to absorb and slow the impact.
Pretty much like standard parachute landing training.

This may be easier said than done if you are being chased by flames.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:57:41 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Oh yes, have you ever tried this with modern windows and buildings?
If you tried this in my house you might get stuck in the opening bit,
or find the window sill is only a couple of inches wide.

Brian

that is why first floor windows should be a certain min size to serve as
escape windows ......

Ours are 5 foot square, tilt swivel! The previous owneer was worried
about fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

Lot more than 4ft from my upstairs windows or from the widows
pictured in the article.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:17:15 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

snip

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

And / or molten PVC ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , harry
wrote:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a
fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary. If you are ever in that situation, climb out of
the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and
let go. You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

Nearer 6 foot here and there's a very prickly rose bush to land in.

Hardly any big deal when the house is on fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
harry Wrote in message:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a
fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to
the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

Lot more than 4ft from my upstairs windows or from the widows
pictured in the article.

But still better to end up with a ****ed ankle than die in the fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/08/2018 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:17:15 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

snip

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

And / or molten PVC ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

or bounce onto the roof of the sun porch.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Jimbo" wrote in message

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:17:15 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

snip

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

And / or molten PVC ... ;-(

or bounce onto the roof of the sun porch.....

And hope you bounced and didn't go *through* it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and one
hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold it
away from the wall, so that is possible.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 09:22, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/08/2018 07:53, tim... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

+1 to all that. And aim to go into a foreward roll, but twisting your
shoulders with forearms protecting your face, so that you spread the
impact down one side of your body. Get it right, and most of the impact
will be on the back of the shoulders, which is where the body is toughest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 09/08/2018 07:53, tim... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

I think that if you are being chased by the flames you've almost certainly
succumbed to the smoke

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes
down is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and one
hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold it
away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes
down is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and
one hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold
it away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

Yes.

Traditional rope ladders with deep wooden steps are relatively easy.

That escape ladder is more like a wire rope caving ladder. I was taught
many moons ago to climb those with at least one leg going in from
behind, but *not* climbing from the side. The aim is to keep your
centre of mass as close as possible to the ladder. Otherwise your arms
do too much of the work.

See eg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31424959@N00/129017789

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

no but I know somebody who came down my ladder frontwards ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
scribeth thus
Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.

Girlfriend lived in a fourth floor attic room. Lovely views from the
small attic skylight window some 12 foot or so above the gutter level.

It was some way up in the room you'd have to stand on a chair to climb
out.

Very narrow winding staircases to her room but there was a rope ladder
with two hooks you were suppose to put round the bottom of the window
and then climb down. As i was a bit of a lad in those days I tried it
complete with safety harness and a decent rope attached to something
immovable.

It was very difficult going down the slated roof maintaining a foothold
in the ladders rungs but going over the gutter edge was very difficult
and i decided not to risk it. Course there was no fire and it was
daylight i had a full body harness on mountaineering type but bugger
going any further with that ****ing useless arrangement.

Suppose if it was life or death perhaps you might have just taken a sort
of dive over the edge but then again i had the knowledge if I'd slipped
I'd have been restrained.

Approached the landlord after she'd complained to the fire brigade who
sent someone around they recommended a proper ladder type escape. Would
have cost a lot, landlords a grade A **** threw up a big fuss almost
came to blows with him, asked him to demonstrate how he'd get out should
have got him out onto the roof and unhooked the ladder

Never mind she moved in with me shortly after, problem solved

Pity the next poor sap who took over that death trap..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 14:04, Robin wrote:

That escape ladder is more like a wire rope caving ladder.Â* I was taught
many moons ago to climb those with at least one leg going in from
behind, but *not* climbing from the side.Â* The aim is to keep your
centre of mass as close as possible to the ladder. Otherwise your arms
do too much of the work.

See eg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31424959@N00/129017789

Ooops, I was so desperate to find a photo with a foot going in from the
back I failed to look at the hands. Both should be gripping the rungs
from behind to keep the trunk close to the ladder.

Unless the ladder's against a wall/rockface when it can't swing to leave
you hanging.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 August 2018 15:18:43 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
Approached the landlord after she'd complained to the fire brigade who
sent someone around ...
Never mind she moved in with me shortly after, problem solved

That was a calculated risk.

She could have moved in with the fireman.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jimbo" wrote in message

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:17:15 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

snip

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

And / or molten PVC ... ;-(

or bounce onto the roof of the sun porch.....

And hope you bounced and didn't go *through* it...

well if it a newish one the regs state it must be able to take a body
dropping on to it......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/08/2018 15:11, tony sayer wrote:

Pity the next poor sap who took over that death trap..

I have installed a Davey Escape in my office on the top floor of my
house. Fortunately, I have never had to try it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 09/08/2018 14:04, Robin wrote:

That escape ladder is more like a wire rope caving ladder. I was taught
many moons ago to climb those with at least one leg going in from behind,
but *not* climbing from the side. The aim is to keep your centre of mass
as close as possible to the ladder. Otherwise your arms do too much of
the work.

See eg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31424959@N00/129017789

Ooops, I was so desperate to find a photo with a foot going in from the
back I failed to look at the hands. Both should be gripping the rungs
from behind to keep the trunk close to the ladder.

Unless the ladder's against a wall/rockface when it can't swing to leave
you hanging.

we were doing a repair to a tenement chimney head a few years ago and the
owneres weren't happy about getting a bill so one of then sawed halfway
through a timber ladder rung four storeys up...ever since then I never hold
on to a rung...ever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes
down is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and
one hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold
it away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

One of the first things I did when I bought it.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes
down is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and
one hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports
hold it away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

Yes.

Traditional rope ladders with deep wooden steps are relatively easy.

That escape ladder is more like a wire rope caving ladder.Â* I was taught
many moons ago to climb those with at least one leg going in from
behind, but *not* climbing from the side.

It worked well enough when I tried the ladder out. I decided it was
probably better to learn to use it when I didn't actually need to.

The aim is to keep your
centre of mass as close as possible to the ladder. Otherwise your arms
do too much of the work.

Probably not so critical when you only need to go down one floor of a house.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to
the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

You should have windows big enough to get out of fitted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 16:21, GB wrote:
On 09/08/2018 15:11, tony sayer wrote:

Pity the next poor sap who took over that death trap..

I have installed a Davey Escape in my office on the top floor of my
house. Fortunately, I have never had to try it out.

Not in the same league, you could fall out with one of those and get
down safely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Martin Brown wrote

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge
and jump away from the building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar.
And yes down is easier than up but still not easy.

Still better than jumping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and one
hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold it
away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

Yeah, easier said than done getting out the window
and onto the ladder for the doddering old farts in here.

What are they gunna do with their walking frames ?

Can't quite picture Pam doing a double pike out
the window onto the rope ladder for some reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 16:21, GB wrote:
On 09/08/2018 15:11, tony sayer wrote:

Pity the next poor sap who took over that death trap..

I have installed a Davey Escape in my office on the top floor of my
house. Fortunately, I have never had to try it out.

Crikey, I'd assumed those had been banned decades ago on the basis of
"it's not idiot proof so let's make the best the enemy of the good".
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Martin Brown wrote:

The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the
building

Or an escape ladder under the bed?

https://amazon.co.uk/bryson-ESCL1/dp/B01N7LVJAJ

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down
is easier than up but still not easy.

You are supposed to climb a rope ladder from the side - one leg and one
hand front and back of the ladder. My escape ladders supports hold it
away from the wall, so that is possible.

Out of interest, have you tried?

Yeah, easier said than done getting out the window
and onto the ladder for the doddering old farts in here.

What are they gunna do with their walking frames ?

Can't quite picture Pam doing a double pike out
the window onto the rope ladder for some reason.

Luckily we only have students that are fit and nimble as our window can only open up to 8cm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 9 August 2018 20:00:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
news
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Yeah, skiving drunken dunny cleaners like you get to burn.