Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default PIR priority

I have 2 external PIRs operating 2 floodlights all in different
locations but connected so that 1 PIR will turn both lights on.
I need to adjust the timings lux/sensitivity.
Before I climb a ladder can someone advise what the priority is for the
LEDs, eg if say the 2 LEDs are set for timing at say 15 seconds and the
other at 3 minutes, if the 15 second LED triggers the lights does it go
off after 15 seconds or 3 minutes.
Does the one that triggers it set the timings or can that be overruled
by the other?
Hope this makes sense but the less time up a ladder making adjustments
the better as I hate heights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I have 2 external PIRs operating 2 floodlights all in different
locations but connected so that 1 PIR will turn both lights on.
I need to adjust the timings lux/sensitivity.
Before I climb a ladder can someone advise what the priority is for the
LEDs, egĀ* if say the 2 LEDs are set for timing at say 15 seconds and the
other at 3 minutes, if the 15 second LED triggers the lights does it go
off after 15 seconds or 3 minutes.
Does the one that triggers it set the timings or can that be overruled
by the other?

It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation period.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/08/2018 22:46, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

I have 2 external PIRs operating 2 floodlights all in different
locations but connected so that 1 PIR will turn both lights on.
I need to adjust the timings lux/sensitivity.
Before I climb a ladder can someone advise what the priority is for
the LEDs, egĀ* if say the 2 LEDs are set for timing at say 15 seconds
and the other at 3 minutes, if the 15 second LED triggers the lights
does it go off after 15 seconds or 3 minutes.
Does the one that triggers it set the timings or can that be overruled
by the other?

It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation period.

Is it worth mentioning that the activation period is reset/restarted
every time movement is detected?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/08/2018 23:05, ARW wrote:
It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation period.

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are set
for different duration times will it be the activated one that decides
how long they stay on for?

Is it worth mentioning that the activation period is reset/restarted
every time movement is detected?

YesI understand that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
On 08/08/2018 23:05, ARW wrote:
It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation period.

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are set
for different duration times will it be the activated one that decides
how long they stay on for?

Yes. Iiuic think of the PIRs as just switches...

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/08/2018 23:35, ARW wrote:
On 08/08/2018 23:29, ss wrote:
On 08/08/2018 23:05, ARW wrote:
It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation
period.

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are
set for different duration times will it be the activated one that
decides how long they stay on for?

Yes.

OK thanks for replies that answers my questions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are set
for different duration times will it be the activated one that decides
how long they stay on for?

if one is activated it will be that PIR's duration, if both are
activated, it will be the one that remains activated longest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1 what he said. This picture may help:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hing_with_PIRs

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:06:39 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs

are
set for different duration times will it be the activated one that

decides how long they stay on for?

if one is activated it will be that PIR's duration, if both are
activated, it will be the one that remains activated longest.

Assuming simple parallel switch wiring. The OP is not clear if the
second PIR also turns both lights on or only the one associated with
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The OP is not clear if the second PIR also turns both lights on or
only the one associated with it.

Not having both PIRs control both lights would take e.g. some relay
logic to arrange, and if they'd done that, they'd know what they'd wired?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2018 23:29, ss wrote:
On 08/08/2018 23:05, ARW wrote:
It's a "logical inclusive OR", so both lights will be on at the same
time, if one, the other, or both PIRs are within their activation
period.

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are set
for different duration times will it be the activated one that decides
how long they stay on for?

It will be the end of the last one activated, whichever finishes last.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are
set for different duration times will it be the activated one that
decides how long they stay on for?

if one is activated it will be that PIR's duration, if both are
activated, it will be the one that remains activated longest.

+1 what he said. This picture may help:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hing_with_PIRs

I'm not sure that it should be called two way switching as it doesn't do
the same as two way switching does in the rest of the circuits.

Myybe multiple PIR switching?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are
set for different duration times will it be the activated one that
decides how long they stay on for?

if one is activated it will be that PIR's duration, if both are
activated, it will be the one that remains activated longest.

+1 what he said. This picture may help:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hing_with_PIRs

I'm not sure that it should be called two way switching as it doesn't do
the same as two way switching does in the rest of the circuits.

Yup I see your point in that there is no capability for the second PIR
to force the lamp off... so not true two way switching - although for
many it kind of fits since it allows for two separate switches to turn
the same lamp on.

Myybe multiple PIR switching?

ok I renamed the section:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._multiple_PIRs

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/08/2018 18:21, dennis@home wrote:
Yes I understand both lights on at the same time but if the PIRs are
set for different duration times will it be the activated one that
decides how long they stay on for?

It will be the end of the last one activated, whichever finishes last.

I have it sorted now but to clarify its like an alley at the side of the
house the PIRs are either both activated or just one depending on
circumstances, it is wired so that both lights come on regardless of one
or both PIRs being activated.

It was set up a few years back but for some reason the settings unsetted
themselves when they came on they would stay on for say 2 minutes turn
off then straight back on again, the problem was in the PIR settings not
the LED lamps. (and I lost the instructions), maybe due to the hot
weather or some other reason so I had to bring them back to a useable
sequence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2018 21:11, ss wrote:
[...]

PIRs often have dusk/dawn sensing as well. So they won't trigger the
lamps in daylight (there is usually a control to adjust the
sensitivity). That does mean you need to be careful with placement of
the lamps wrt to the PIR though - you can get a situation where
triggering the lamp can then trip the ambient light sensor which then
turns the lamp off again even if the PIR is still being triggered.

--
Cheers,

John.

Which stat has priority John UK diy 9 October 26th 06 02:05 PM
Furnace priority switch user22 Home Repair 8 May 4th 06 10:20 PM
CH or DG - priority? Mogweed. UK diy 23 March 27th 06 05:19 PM
Is it possible to change boiler priority? Jon UK diy 16 October 28th 05 11:19 AM
Priority switch? (Lektricuty question) Robatoy Woodworking 20 February 6th 05 06:41 AM