Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default furred hot water pipe

The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably only a leak I'd say!
Sounds a bit drastic to me. If the water is really that hard, maybe some
way to make it less so might be a good idea. . How many years has it taken
to be noticeable?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes we all go droopy in the heat if not supported, what?
I'm not convinced about this to be honest. I remember when we first moved
in here and had flow issues in the bath my father trying this sort of thing.
It did not work and it found a few pin hole leaks in the plumbing under the
bath which in the end needed the pipes replacing and so we got a new bath
and new pipes in the end. The question I always wondered about was how come
the particular pipes were coated in scale inside but the very old but wider
ones in the loft down to the bath and from the cylinder to under the floor
did not though clearly they were older by some years.The plumber at the time
said often life is like that, and shrugged. This was many many ears ago in
the 1960s.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/07/2018 21:38,
wrote:
The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

A tub of fernox DS3 will make enough gallons to fill the tank and the
cistern, so yup recirculating with a pump for a few hours should do the
trick. Keep the immersion on for better performance (but don't let the
cistern get too hot if its plastic - they can go droopy if not well
supported)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2018 11:53, newshound wrote:
On 01/08/2018 00:53, John Rumm wrote:
On 31/07/2018 21:38, wrote:
The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

A tub of fernox DS3 will make enough gallons to fill the tank and the
cistern, so yup recirculating with a pump for a few hours should do
the trick. Keep the immersion on for better performance (but don't let
the cistern get too hot if its plastic - they can go droopy if not
well supported)

My first house had a rivetted galvanised hot water tank, and many metres
of iron pipe getting on for 2 inches OD in the gravity DHW system which
must, once upon a time, have gone to a coal stove in the scullery. Some
of this pipework was almost completely blocked with scale, there must
have been kilogrammes of it in the whole system. My recollection is that
while this particular type of scale dissolves readily enough in
hydrochloric acid, the dissolution rate is quite slow in weak acids. So
while I agree with the theory of your analysis, I'd worry how well it
would work in practice. Heating should help.

Yup heating helps greatly...

The fernox instructions for a manual descale, suggest a minimum of 4
hours with the temp between 50 to 60 deg C.

You may get faster results with a continous recirculation system.

https://fernox.com/cpt_downloads/des...stem-manually/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 22:50:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

DS3 is not HCL, but sulfamic acid (H3NSO3), generally safe on metals,
although may dull chrome on prolonged exposure.

Zinc gets eaten by pretty much everything, though.

I found a patent, including this language: "Even at room temperature Islamic
acid rapidly attacks zinc galvanize; in aqueous solution at concentrations as
low as 1.5% by weight, it is capable of completely dissolving a zinc galvanize
coating from a ferrous metal base in two to three hours. Repeated use of Islamic
acid even for short periods will severely corrode zinc galvanized equipment. The
corrosive effect of the acid on zinc increases with temperature, and galvanize
may be removed in less than 30 minutes at a temperature of 140 F."

And also this: "Weak acids such as citric acid, formic acid and sulphuric acid
are suitable for use with metals such as aluminum, zinc, copper and nickel.
Although these metals will be affected by these acids, this will be much less
severe."

A while back I asked a bunch of chemists with what to descale a pot with an
intact, thick layer of zinc -- and didn't get a useful answer. I ended up using
a wet stiff brush and elbow grease. This got rid of enough scale to be useful,
say 80%, and was surprisingly efficient. The removed scale formed a milky soup
that abraded the remaining scale very well...

In this case: if the zinc is gone, it won't be attacked. Just keep an eye on it,
OK?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

DS3 is not HCL, but sulfamic acid (H3NSO3), generally safe on metals,
although may dull chrome on prolonged exposure.

Zinc gets eaten by pretty much everything, though.

I found a patent, including this language: "Even at room temperature Islamic
acid

WTF is Islamic acid?

Stuff you throw in peoples faces?

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. IIRC the De Longhi coffee machine warns against sulphamic
acid, there may be zinc plated screws in there. Lactic acid, apparently:

https://www.delonghi.com/Global/coun...odecalk500.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

Do check there's not a thingie just inside the tap spout that's got furred
up.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
The flow to my bath has dwindled over the years, it's a conventional
vented cylinder and 3/4" copper pipes, is there likely to be any
benefit in dosing the cold water tank with sulphamic acid and then
recirculating through the bath tap connection with a pump?

Do check there's not a thingie just inside the tap spout that's got furred
up.

Yup good point - those aerator things are prone to scaling and getting
blocked.

--
Cheers,

John.