Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is flexible exterior paint worth the extra cost?

Our house has 3 windows facing roughly south. All of them have paint flaking off the exterior window ledges although the window frames are otherwise sound. I remember painting all of them only 3 years ago, so they haven't lasted as long as I had hoped. The problem is clearly that wooden window ledges expand and contract and even crack in the Sun, made worse by our recent heatwave.

I see that one can get "flexible" paint, e.g. Johnstone's "flexible gloss" and others similar such as Ronseal "10 year external wood paint". They are obviously more expensive but might be worth it to avoid the effort of repainting every couple of years. Does anyone have experience of these - are they worth the money for timber surfaces in full sunlight?

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the wood is cracked then the problem is with the wood and no amount of flexible paint is going to solve the problem. You might try to fill it with an epoxy filler whilst the cracks are at their widest this might produce a good enough surface for the paint to bond to. Alternatively cut away the poor quality wood and splice in a better quality piece.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 07:49:12 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
"Clive Page" wrote in message
Our house has 3 windows facing roughly south. All of them have paint
flaking off the exterior window ledges although the window frames are
otherwise sound. I remember painting all of them only 3 years ago, so
they haven't lasted as long as I had hoped. The problem is clearly that
wooden window ledges expand and contract and even crack in the Sun, made
worse by our recent heatwave.

I see that one can get "flexible" paint, e.g. Johnstone's "flexible gloss"
and others similar such as Ronseal "10 year external wood paint". They
are obviously more expensive but might be worth it to avoid the effort of
repainting every couple of years. Does anyone have experience of these -
are they worth the money for timber surfaces in full sunlight?

Well, I'm not convinced I had some window sills done witha so called
flexible gloss and they are still cracking up, Mind you it was black paint
and hence probably got hot.
I'm thinking maybe there is more to it than just expansion though.
Brian

all alkyd gloss is flexible. That's primarily why it's used on exterior wood.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2018 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, I'm not convinced I had some window sills done witha so called
flexible gloss and they are still cracking up, Mind you it was black paint
and hence probably got hot.
I'm thinking maybe there is more to it than just expansion though.
Brian

You need to ask 'Fred, from 2012' what sort of paint to use :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 23:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If the wood is cracked then the problem is with the wood and no amount of flexible paint is going to solve the problem. You might try to fill it with an epoxy filler whilst the cracks are at their widest this might produce a good enough surface for the paint to bond to. Alternatively cut away the poor quality wood and splice in a better quality piece.

Richard

I used to use 'Ranch Paint' with great success. It is 'micro porous' (or
claimed to be), either way it seems to work.

(We don't have painted exterior woodwork now, otherwise I'd still use it.)