Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping kitchen taps

My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have done?

petefj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question is, was the seat all lime scaled up perhaps? I do not like taps
that only allow a certain amount of turn. Much prefer the ones you can
tighten properly in case the seat is rough or slightly damaged.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"PeteFJ" wrote in message
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have
done?

petefj

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeteFJ Wrote in message:
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have done?

petefj

Reseat them?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/07/2018 08:34, Jim K wrote:
PeteFJ Wrote in message:
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have done?

petefj

Reseat them?

Probably. With one of these, or similar.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ing-tool/79688
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 08:11:43 +0100, PeteFJ wrote:

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have done?

Possibly you will need to "reseat the tap": use a tool with a file-like head to
flatten and smooth the valve seat. It is called a "tap reseating tool",
unsurprisingly.

A long leak can wear a radial groove in then valve seat, and a new washer will
not seal well against the grooved seat.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeteFJ" wrote in message
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have
done?

petefj

grind a new seat ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2018 21:24, Jimbo in Bracknell .... wrote:
"PeteFJ" wrote in message
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have
done?

petefj

grind a new seat ? ....

I honestly never knew you could do this to a tap. It shows my level of
diy skills doesn't it?
Many thanks for all the replies.
petefj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2018 07:32, PeteFJ wrote:
On 21/07/2018 21:24, Jimbo in Bracknell .... wrote:
"PeteFJ" wrote in message
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago.Â* They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have
done?

petefj

grind a new seat ? ....

I honestly never knew you could do this to a tap.Â* It shows my level of
diy skills doesn't it?
Many thanks for all the replies.
petefj

'Older style' taps which use washers, rather than the 'modern' 1/4 turn
type, do tend to need their seats re-cutting from time to time.

If you peer into the hole where the tap head fits, you should see where
the washer 'mates' - a ring about the same size as the washer. If it
isn't smooth, then you need to recut the seat. The tool isn't expensive
and the process easy and quick. Don't over do it, cut a bit, look, cut a
bit more, stop when you get a smooth surface. Let some water flow before
turning the tap off to flush out the metal removed etc. In theory, you
can cut away too much but it would either need to be an old tap which
has be cut several times or bodged. There are videos on YouTube of the
process.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:

"PeteFJ" wrote in message
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago. They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have
done?

petefj

grind a new seat ? ....

I honestly never knew you could do this to a tap. It shows my level of
diy skills doesn't it?
Many thanks for all the replies.
petefj

In my reply, I assumed your taps were quarter-turn lever types with
ceramic disc inserts. I think others have assumed they're conventional
taps with rubber washers. Grinding a new seat is fine for the latter,
but I don't think you can do it with the former, BIMBW. Which have you
got?

I think the big clue was in the first post in the thread...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 09:25:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
In my reply, I assumed your taps were quarter-turn lever types with
ceramic disc inserts. I think others have assumed they're conventional
taps with rubber washers. Grinding a new seat is fine for the latter,
but I don't think you can do it with the former, BIMBW. Which have you
got?

I think the big clue was in the first post in the thread...
--

Quote "They're two lever type", which I assume means quarter turn.

Next line?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2018 08:11, PeteFJ wrote:
My kitchen taps were dripping a month ago.Â* They're two lever type and
about 20 years old.

I re-washered them and they're still dripping.

Other than fitting new washers was there something else I should have done?

petefj

If they are lever type then that means ceramic cartridges which have
an O ring to provide a leak-proof seal where the cartridge seats, but
the cartridges themselves can wear out.

They can also can get an accumulation of limescale which stops
them closing. The O ring should never leak unless a gorilla had
previously fitted new inserts.

Maybe remove them, and carefully dismantle and clean. If could
be that some grit has come through after a leak was fixed somewhere
and has damaged them. Fit new O rings if they are visibly damaged.