Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling Electrical chases Gyproc Easy Fill 60

I have some electrical chases to fill and am planning to use Gyproc Easy
fill 60 (unless there are better suggestions)

However the instructions say

€” Second coat can be applied between
140 - 280 minutes after initial coat

Does this mean a minimum of 140-280 for any final touching up coats, ie
I can fill the bulk of the channels on day one and come back on day 2
for a final skim, if needed.

The wording above puts doubt in my mind as to whether the second coat
would bond if you left it 24 hours rather than 280 minutes.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B Wrote in message:
I have some electrical chases to fill and am planning to use Gyproc Easy
fill 60 (unless there are better suggestions)

However the instructions say

? Second coat can be applied between
140 - 280 minutes after initial coat

Does this mean a minimum of 140-280 for any final touching up coats, ie
I can fill the bulk of the channels on day one and come back on day 2
for a final skim, if needed.

The wording above puts doubt in my mind as to whether the second coat
would bond if you left it 24 hours rather than 280 minutes.

I doubt there's anything that clever going on with a gypsum based
filler :-)

Expect the wording relates to first coat initial setting time,
possibly dependent on depth & ambient temperature?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Easy Fill is designed for fairly thin application and if applied thick like in a chase it takes forever to set. To be honest I do do not see why people try to avoid the obvious and perfect solution which is to use plaster. A ground coat will take approx. 30 mins to stiffen enough for a finishing coat to be applied finished and done with in a day.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
Easy Fill is designed for fairly thin application and if applied thick like in a chase it takes forever to set. To be honest I do do not see why people try to avoid the obvious and perfect solution which is to use plaster. A ground coat will take approx. 30 mins to stiffen enough for a finishing coat to be applied finished and done with in a day.

Richard

********.

"Combined setting and air-drying gypsum based material for both
bulk filling and finishing, ideal for repairs,*chasing in and
patching. This product has a working time of just 60 minutes and
any second coat can be*applied in 140 minutes. High*..."

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2018 12:23, Jim K wrote:
Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
Easy Fill is designed for fairly thin application and if applied thick like in a chase it takes forever to set. To be honest I do do not see why people try to avoid the obvious and perfect solution which is to use plaster. A ground coat will take approx. 30 mins to stiffen enough for a finishing coat to be applied finished and done with in a day.

Richard

********.

"Combined setting and air-drying gypsum based material for both
bulk filling and finishing, ideal for repairs,Â*chasing in and
patching. This product has a working time of just 60 minutes and
any second coat can beÂ*applied in 140 minutes. HighÂ*..."

Thanks All. I will give it a go.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 09:19, Chris B wrote:
On 15/07/2018 12:23, Jim K wrote:
Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
Easy Fill is designed for fairly thin application and if applied
thick like in a chase it takes forever to set. To be honest I do do
not see why people try to avoid the obvious and perfect solution
which is to use plaster. A ground coat will take approx. 30 mins to
stiffen enough for a finishing coat to be applied finished and done
with in a day.

Richard

********.

"Combined setting and air-drying gypsum based material for both
Â* bulk filling and finishing, ideal for repairs,Â*chasing in and
Â* patching. This product has a working time of just 60 minutes and
Â* any second coat can beÂ*applied in 140 minutes. HighÂ*..."

Thanks All.Â* I will give it a go.

Just keep a bag of out-of-date Wickes fine surface filler to
hand. Sets in few minutes and unlike gypsum plaster it can be
sanded smooth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2018 12:23, Jim K wrote:
[...]

The fact that once out of date it sets in a few minutes, strongly
suggests to me there's gypsum in it too...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2018 12:23, Jim K wrote:
[...]

A bag of out-of-date finish coat works very well.
Add a very little PVA to the first coat to make bonding coat
plaster (or use out of date bonding coat if you have it), and
use the finish coat as-is to polish off the top of the chase.

The first (thick) coat will crack which doesn't matter, but
leave it 2mm below the surrounding surface so you can apply a
thin finish coat which won't crack.

--
Andrew Gabriel