Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default metal cable clips, 18th edn

Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise collapse in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use just enough of them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every single clip have to be metal?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 17:11:42 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise collapse
in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use just enough of
them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every single clip have
to be metal?

Enough to stop the cable drooping to get in the way of anyone trying to
get in/out of the entrance/route.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd never quite got this one as most cables are made orf some kind of
plastic, In which case I suppose enough is enough.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise collapse in
a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use just enough of them
to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every single clip have to be
metal?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I'd never quite got this one as most cables are made orf some kind of
plastic,

Sure, but its better if they don’t fall down and
obstruct the movement of people in a fire.

wrote in message
Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise collapse
in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use just enough of
them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every single clip have to
be metal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 07:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd never quite got this one as most cables are made orf some kind of
plastic, In which case I suppose enough is enough.
Brian

When a flat in a tower block in SOuthampton caught fire, the
firefighters wearing breathing gear got ensnared by cables that
had drooped down from the ceiling because the trunking and or
clips had melted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 17:14, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/07/2018 01:11, wrote:
Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise
collapse in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use
just enough of them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every
single clip have to be metal?

NT

Use none.. put in metal conduit/trunking.

or on a cable tray or shelf...

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 07:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd never quite got this one as most cables are made orf some kind of
plastic, In which case I suppose enough is enough.

Metal core inside the plastic. Plastic & clips burn away, leaving copper
wires.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2018 01:11, tabbypurr wrote:

Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise
collapse in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use
just enough of them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every
single clip have to be metal?

NT

Use none.. put in metal conduit/trunking.

or on a cable tray or shelf...

or a bent nail in lieu of the occasional cable clip.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 22:38:53 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/07/2018 21:57, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 18:50:52 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/07/2018 17:14, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/07/2018 01:11, tabbypurr wrote:

Metal cable clips are required for cables that could otherwise
collapse in a fire in an escape route. My question is, can one use
just enough of them to keep the cable there in a fire, or does every
single clip have to be metal?

NT

Use none.. put in metal conduit/trunking.

or on a cable tray or shelf...

or a bent nail in lieu of the occasional cable clip.

A problem with that kind of approach is if you end up abrading the cable
with thermal expansion cycling.

OK, the nail can be sleeved It's 10mm2 main earth bond cable.

NT

Clinch clips, U clips, mesh clips, aviary clips. Bazza UK diy 3 March 17th 18 10:03 AM
screw through clips: u clips, spire clips? Stephen[_19_] UK diy 38 October 15th 16 10:30 AM
'U'U clips, spire clips/nuts, what is max thickness of flange they fit over? MM UK diy 31 February 14th 15 09:20 AM
Old style metal strap cable clips? Pete Shew UK diy 10 August 10th 12 10:53 AM
The OLED TV: Is Delusion Finally Transforming Into Reality? - Brian'sBrain | Blog on EDN bob Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 10 03:41 AM