Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer temperature Q.

Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/18 16:32, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 08:12:05 -0700 (PDT), NotReallyMyName
wrote:

Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Recommended setting for a freezer is -18C IIRC

I concur - though I set mine to -24 (and it *can* go to -36C! if you max
it out)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 July 2018 16:12:09 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

-18 is the usual. They vary a few degrees in practice

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2018 16:12, NotReallyMyName wrote:
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Bought a new freezer (standalone, under the counter) recently; it has a
temperature display/control on the front. I wanted to check the temps,
as no point in having it over cold as I was aiming for -18. I have a
thermometer with a small digital display and a long wire with a sensor
on the end so I can put the sensor inside and the display outside and
can check the temps without having to open the door all the time
(counter-productive!).

I found that I had to set the display control on the front to -15 to get
the temps (according to the probe thermometer) to be near -18 otherwise
the freezer was setting itself far too cold and using far too much
electricity...

Just my 2p's worth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2018 10:10, Allan wrote:

8

Bought a new freezer (standalone, under the counter) recently; it has a
temperature display/control on the front.Â* I wanted to check the temps,
as no point in having it over cold as I was aiming for -18.Â* I have a
thermometer with a small digital display and a long wire with a sensor
on the end so I can put the sensor inside and the display outside and
can check the temps without having to open the door all the time
(counter-productive!).

I found that I had to set the display control on the front to -15 to get
the temps (according to the probe thermometer) to be near -18 otherwise
the freezer was setting itself far too cold and using far too much
electricity...

Just my 2p's worth.

What did you check the thermometer against?
IME cheap digital thermometers can be a few degrees out.

I think you can check it by putting a load of ice in brine + some extra
salt as the ice dilutes it as it melts, in equilibrium it should be
around -20C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2018 21:27, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/07/2018 10:10, Allan wrote:

8

Bought a new freezer (standalone, under the counter) recently; it has
a temperature display/control on the front.Â* I wanted to check the
temps, as no point in having it over cold as I was aiming for -18.Â* I
have a thermometer with a small digital display and a long wire with a
sensor on the end so I can put the sensor inside and the display
outside and can check the temps without having to open the door all
the time (counter-productive!).

I found that I had to set the display control on the front to -15 to
get the temps (according to the probe thermometer) to be near -18
otherwise the freezer was setting itself far too cold and using far
too much electricity...

Just my 2p's worth.

What did you check the thermometer against?
IME cheap digital thermometers can be a few degrees out.

I think you can check it by putting a load of ice in brine + some extra
salt as the ice dilutes it as it melts, in equilibrium it should be
around -20C.

I think you have in mind that a saturated salt solution freezes at -21.1
degrees. It's a simple test to see if a freezer is well below -18.

You can get a solution that freezes at -18 degrees by weighing carefully
the salt and water but I don't have the ratio to hand.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 July 2018 16:12:09 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Thanks for all the replies ...

It's just a freezer - not a fridge freezer.

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.

Eventually, it got to -25, still running. But next morning, it was -19, and had stopped. It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

But yesterday the temperature in the house dropped a couple of degrees, which means it's able to lose heat slightly better ...

Main concern is that it;s at least 16 years old .... it was here when we moved in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NotReallyMyName wrote:

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.
Eventually, it got to -25,

What do these ice-breaker fish look like?

It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

If the freezer only has air in it, the temperature will change pretty
rapidly when the door is open ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 11:13:37 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
NotReallyMyName wrote:

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.
Eventually, it got to -25,

What do these ice-breaker fish look like?

It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

If the freezer only has air in it, the temperature will change pretty
rapidly when the door is open ..

Yup. It sounds serviceable, most likely.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Recommended setting for a freezer is -18C IIRC

-18C is warmest a 3-star Freezer is allowed to run.
Usually, they are at least a little bit colder, baring in mind
the temperature is unlikely to be completely uniform throughout.

I concur - though I set mine to -24 (and it *can* go to -36C! if you max
it out)

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when
it was quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know).
The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and
the lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 21:07:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

====snip====

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when it was
quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know).
The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and the
lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

That is the one temperature where the use of C or F is redundant. You
could have simplified it to "-40" and let the reader choose their
preferred scale. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 01:57:16 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 21:07:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

====snip====

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when it was
quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know).
The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and the
lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

That is the one temperature where the use of C or F is redundant. You
could have simplified it to "-40" and let the reader choose their
preferred scale. :-)

I hate it when newspapers say "the mercury dropped to below -50". Mercury
freezes before -40 ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 10:21:10 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 08:00:50 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 01:57:16 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 21:07:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

====snip====

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when it
was quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know).
The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and the
lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

That is the one temperature where the use of C or F is redundant. You
could have simplified it to "-40" and let the reader choose their
preferred scale. :-)

I hate it when newspapers say "the mercury dropped to below -50".
Mercury freezes before -40 ...

Mercury hasn't been used in thermometers for *years* ....

Well, that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 08:00:50 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 01:57:16 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 21:07:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

====snip====

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when it
was quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know).
The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and the
lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

That is the one temperature where the use of C or F is redundant. You
could have simplified it to "-40" and let the reader choose their
preferred scale. :-)

I hate it when newspapers say "the mercury dropped to below -50".
Mercury freezes before -40 ...

Mercury hasn't been used in thermometers for *years* ....

That applies to new ones, but plenty of mercury ones still exist.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 11:08:52 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
On Monday, 2 July 2018 16:12:09 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Thanks for all the replies ...

It's just a freezer - not a fridge freezer.

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.

Don;t rely too much on those that aren't calibrated for such low temps, I used one that died after a few weeks I think the LCD packed in.

I also had a wireless one a few years back coldest I got to was -19.6C mostly stayed around -18C

Eventually, it got to -25, still running. But next morning, it was -19, and had stopped. It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

But yesterday the temperature in the house dropped a couple of degrees, which means it's able to lose heat slightly better ...

Main concern is that it;s at least 16 years old .... it was here when we moved in.

maybe the efficiency has dropped with age.