Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer temperature Q.

On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 11:08:52 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
On Monday, 2 July 2018 16:12:09 UTC+1, NotReallyMyName wrote:
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Thanks for all the replies ...

It's just a freezer - not a fridge freezer.

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.

Don;t rely too much on those that aren't calibrated for such low temps, I used one that died after a few weeks I think the LCD packed in.

I also had a wireless one a few years back coldest I got to was -19.6C mostly stayed around -18C

Eventually, it got to -25, still running. But next morning, it was -19, and had stopped. It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

But yesterday the temperature in the house dropped a couple of degrees, which means it's able to lose heat slightly better ...

Main concern is that it;s at least 16 years old .... it was here when we moved in.

maybe the efficiency has dropped with age.