Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammerhead wedges

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges at
right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as much
as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

I just bought another with the tomahawk
when one showed up in the aldi special buys.

Guess I could have just got some metal wedged
from some wreck from the garage sales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

Why not spend a few minutes of money?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hammer-wedges

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

Surely using a wooden wedge is the obvious solution.
You don't need PEG if the wood is dried.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 13:59:29 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole
to splay out the wood.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole
to splay out the wood.

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split badly very close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 9:06:18 AM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

--

Jeff

A small piece of cast iron rainwater guttering was used as a substitute in the trade. If you can find a piece. I've even seen a small round headed nail knocked in the head of the shaft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 June 2018 00:40:59 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 12:21:58 -0700 (PDT)
tabbypurr wrote:

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split
badly very close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or
with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good
tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?

Epoxy?

I suppose I hadn't thought of break & glue. I may as well try that before recutting the wood. Cheers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

Far be it from me to divert attention from a fixing job ... but may I
recommend the odd car boot sale? You may not find wedges there, but
you're almost certain to find whole stalls of ancient (therefore
fantastic quality) tools - usually filthy, and usually being sold by
someone who'd just like to go home a kilo or two lighter than when he
came, and get a quid or two into the bargain.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:57:19 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

Far be it from me to divert attention from a fixing job ... but may I
recommend the odd car boot sale? You may not find wedges there, but
you're almost certain to find whole stalls of ancient (therefore
fantastic quality) tools - usually filthy, and usually being sold by
someone who'd just like to go home a kilo or two lighter than when he
came, and get a quid or two into the bargain.

John

great way to buy tools if you've got the time to spare

NT