Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammerhead wedges

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 15:54:02 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 13:59:29 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole
to splay out the wood.

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split badly very close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?

NT