DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hammerhead wedges (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/613000-hammerhead-wedges.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] June 17th 18 09:06 AM

Hammerhead wedges

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

--

Jeff

Andy Burns[_13_] June 17th 18 09:25 AM

Hammerhead wedges

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Brian Gaff June 17th 18 09:28 AM

Hammerhead wedges

Araldite?
grin.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Rod Speed June 17th 18 10:46 AM

Hammerhead wedges

Jeff Layman wrote

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges at
right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as much
as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

I just bought another with the tomahawk
when one showed up in the aldi special buys.

Guess I could have just got some metal wedged
from some wreck from the garage sales.

Jeff Layman[_2_] June 17th 18 12:09 PM

Hammerhead wedges

On 17/06/18 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

--

Jeff

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 17th 18 12:39 PM

Hammerhead wedges

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

Why not spend a few minutes of money?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hammer-wedges

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

[email protected] June 17th 18 01:40 PM

Hammerhead wedges

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?

Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but
unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the
shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one
from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.

Surely using a wooden wedge is the obvious solution.
You don't need PEG if the wood is dried.

NT

John Rumm June 17th 18 01:59 PM

Hammerhead wedges

On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave W[_3_] June 17th 18 02:54 PM

Hammerhead wedges

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 13:59:29 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole
to splay out the wood.
--
Dave W

[email protected] June 17th 18 08:21 PM

Hammerhead wedges

wrote:
On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new
ones will get a similar life extension out of it.

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole
to splay out the wood.

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split badly very close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?

NT

Kipper at sea[_2_] June 17th 18 08:51 PM

Hammerhead wedges

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 9:06:18 AM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

--

Jeff

A small piece of cast iron rainwater guttering was used as a substitute in the trade. If you can find a piece. I've even seen a small round headed nail knocked in the head of the shaft.

[email protected] June 18th 18 03:04 AM

Hammerhead wedges

tabbypurr wrote:

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split
badly very close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or
with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good
tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?

Epoxy?

I suppose I hadn't thought of break & glue. I may as well try that before recutting the wood. Cheers.

NT

Another John June 20th 18 08:57 AM

Hammerhead wedges

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

Far be it from me to divert attention from a fixing job ... but may I
recommend the odd car boot sale? You may not find wedges there, but
you're almost certain to find whole stalls of ancient (therefore
fantastic quality) tools - usually filthy, and usually being sold by
someone who'd just like to go home a kilo or two lighter than when he
came, and get a quid or two into the bargain.

John

[email protected] June 20th 18 10:31 AM

Hammerhead wedges

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:57:19 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out
completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old
Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges
at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal
wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as
much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?

Far be it from me to divert attention from a fixing job ... but may I
recommend the odd car boot sale? You may not find wedges there, but
you're almost certain to find whole stalls of ancient (therefore
fantastic quality) tools - usually filthy, and usually being sold by
someone who'd just like to go home a kilo or two lighter than when he
came, and get a quid or two into the bargain.

John

great way to buy tools if you've got the time to spare

NT

Another John June 20th 18 05:25 PM

Hammerhead wedges

In article ,
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:57:19 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

... may Irecommend the odd car boot sale?

great way to buy tools if you've got the time to spare

That's why I said "the odd" .. I used to go to a local car boot regulary
when I first retired. Then retirement started to bite, and I very
rarely have that amount of time these days :-D

J.

Bob Eager[_6_] June 20th 18 06:07 PM

Hammerhead wedges

On 2018-06-20, Another John wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:57:19 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

... may Irecommend the odd car boot sale?

great way to buy tools if you've got the time to spare

That's why I said "the odd" .. I used to go to a local car boot
regulary when I first retired.

That involves Getting Up. After 41 years of Getting Up, I don't do that
any more.

Ah. But now you have the luxury of Not Going To Sleep At All.

As I did last night, due to a crisis involving a friend. Mind, I feel
**** now.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org