Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Came across this. Interesting.

I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

I didn't find any of it interesting; only all rather irritating.

Even worse journalism than I expect from the DM. Cui Bono? Written by
someone from an environmental consultancy no doubt charging a fortune
for environmentally friendly, solvent free paint.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 08:31, newshound wrote:
On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

I didn't find any of it interesting; only all rather irritating.

+1
Do we all sleep with the lights on in rooms we paint each day with
solvent based paints?
Mainly bollox with an advertisement for exotic paint thrown in for good
measure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Yeah, most people die in bed.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 13:12, Max Demian wrote:
On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Yeah, most people die in bed.

Cue for Bob Hope joke. I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my
father. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/06/2018 08:31, newshound wrote:
On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

I didn't find any of it interesting; only all rather irritating.

Even worse journalism than I expect from the DM. Cui Bono? Written by
someone from an environmental consultancy no doubt charging a fortune
for environmentally friendly, solvent free paint.

And selling laminate flooring?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote
harry wrote

I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Yeah, most people die in bed.

But not in their own bed now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 June 2018 15:11:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

It was two million Poles instead.
Turkey's application has been suspended or there would have been many more than two million over here. Including jihadists.

Turkey is regressing to it's medieval past so has become non-viable even for the EUSSR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 June 2018 10:04:43 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 07/06/2018 08:31, newshound wrote:
On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

I didn't find any of it interesting; only all rather irritating.

+1
Do we all sleep with the lights on in rooms we paint each day with
solvent based paints?
Mainly bollox with an advertisement for exotic paint thrown in for good
measure.

There really are some ****-fer-brains here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volati...ogenic_sources

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

It was two million Poles instead.
Turkey's application has been suspended or there would have been many more than two million over here. Including jihadists.

It was suspended because we didn't agree.
Now it may happen as we have no say but we may still have fredom of
movement.
Well done!

Turkey is regressing to it's medieval past so has become non-viable even for the EUSSR.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

It was two million Poles instead.

Two million Poles have arrived here since that Mail headline? Care to give
some proof of this? Not from the Mail, obviously.

Turkey's application has been suspended or there would have been many
more than two million over here. Including jihadists.

Turkey - same as any other country - needed to meet EU conditions before
even being considered for membership. Which they had no intention of
doing.

Turkey is regressing to it's medieval past so has become non-viable even
for the EUSSR.

Oh dear. You seem inadvertently mentioned an important part of the EU.
Basic standards of human rights etc. No wonder you want out.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
It was two million Poles instead.
Turkey's application has been suspended or there would have been many more than two million over here. Including jihadists.

It was suspended because we didn't agree.

And not meeting many of the basic requirements for EU membership. And
under its present government, not likely to.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

It was two million Poles instead.
Turkey's application has been suspended or there would have been many
more than two million over here. Including jihadists.

It was suspended because we didn't agree.

Nope, because ErdoÄŸan decided he wasnt going to let the
EU tell him what he could and couldnt do in his country.

Now it may happen

Not a chance now that ErdoÄŸan has ****ed
over his opposition so enthusiastically.

as we have no say but we may still have fredom of movement.

No chance, you watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 June 2018 10:38:25 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

Thanks for confirming where you get your news from.

Do you still believe their headline about 2 million Turks coming here
because of the EU?

It was two million Poles instead.

Two million Poles have arrived here since that Mail headline? Care to give
some proof of this? Not from the Mail, obviously.

Ten seconds Googling ****-fer-brains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrat...e_EU_accession

And a bit more up to date.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/70...nts-live-in-uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:

Two million Poles have arrived here since that Mail headline? Care to give
some proof of this? Not from the Mail, obviously.

Ten seconds Googling ****-fer-brains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrat...e_EU_accession

Thanks for confirming you can't even read a simple sentence.

Which part of 'since that Mail headline' escaped your comprehension?

And a bit more up to date.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/70...nts-live-in-uk

I'm sure it has escaped you that EU citizens have a right to work in the
UK, in the same way as UK citizens can work anywhere in it too. While we
remain a member of the EU.

Don't let the fact that Turkey isn't in the EU, or is likely to be in the
near future, get in the way of your muddled thinking.

I'll ask you again. How many Poles have arrived here to work (net figure,
please) since that Mail headline?

I won't hold my breath. It's obvious you prefer false news from the likes
of the Mail to facts.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:

[...]

The facts are simple to obtain, example:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...yreport/latest

Which suggest in year ending Sept 2017 there was net immigration from
the EU of 90,000 and from outside the EU of 205,000.

If we weren't meddling in so many Middle Eastern countries ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I'll ask you again. How many Poles have arrived here to work (net
figure, please) since that Mail headline?

I won't hold my breath. It's obvious you prefer false news from the
likes of the Mail to facts.

The facts are simple to obtain, example:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...yreport/latest

Which suggest in year ending Sept 2017 there was net immigration from
the EU of 90,000 and from outside the EU of 205,000.

If we weren't meddling in so many Middle Eastern countries ......

Interesting, isn't it? Brexiteers blame the EU for 'unfettered'
immigration to the UK, yet over 2/3rds comes from outside the EU.

Other thing is EU workers are far more likely to be temporary and move on
if something better comes along - or even return to their country of
origin. Since that is also easy do do.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I'll ask you again. How many Poles have arrived here to work (net
figure, please) since that Mail headline?

I won't hold my breath. It's obvious you prefer false news from the
likes of the Mail to facts.

The facts are simple to obtain, example:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...yreport/latest

Which suggest in year ending Sept 2017 there was net immigration from
the EU of 90,000 and from outside the EU of 205,000.

If we weren't meddling in so many Middle Eastern countries ......

Interesting, isn't it? Brexiteers blame the EU for 'unfettered'
immigration to the UK, yet over 2/3rds comes from outside the EU.

That wasn't the case until recently.

Other thing is EU workers are far more likely to be temporary and move on
if something better comes along - or even return to their country of
origin. Since that is also easy do do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interesting, isn't it? Brexiteers blame the EU for 'unfettered'
immigration to the UK, yet over 2/3rds comes from outside the EU.

Politicians of all political persuasions were blamed for large numbers
of immigrants and when given the first chance to kick the same
politicians in the balls for this many voters chose to do so!

This would have happened in a general election if any of the main
parties had offered a plausible policy but they were all too scared of
being labelled racist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Interesting, isn't it? Brexiteers blame the EU for 'unfettered'
immigration to the UK, yet over 2/3rds comes from outside the EU.

That wasn't the case until recently.

True. It was nearer 50/50. But I'd say it proves my point. EU migrants are
far more likely to move around Europe than those from outside Europe. So
more akin to a working holiday.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Interesting, isn't it? Brexiteers blame the EU for 'unfettered'
immigration to the UK, yet over 2/3rds comes from outside the EU.

Politicians of all political persuasions were blamed for large numbers
of immigrants and when given the first chance to kick the same
politicians in the balls for this many voters chose to do so!

True. Nothing like giving someone a kicking for all the wrong reasons. And
having to pay the consequences of your actions afterwards.

This would have happened in a general election if any of the main
parties had offered a plausible policy but they were all too scared of
being labelled racist.

Oddly, I'd say it had little to do with racism, as such.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oddly, I'd say it had little to do with racism, as such.

Very little to do with being racist but it didn't stop people who wanted
to discuss immigration in a sensible way always being branded racist.
As a result no one in the Westminster Village seemed bothered to listen
about immigration concerns. It was always passed off as we are all
living in a harmonious multi-racial society. Even political leaders
branded people with legitimate concerns as bigots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Oddly, I'd say it had little to do with racism, as such.

Very little to do with being racist but it didn't stop people who wanted
to discuss immigration in a sensible way always being branded racist.
As a result no one in the Westminster Village seemed bothered to listen
about immigration concerns.

Oh c'mon. Lots gave lip service to restricting immigration at election
time - then did nothing about it.

For Labour, it likely meant lots of extra voters.
For the Tories, a nice supply of extra labour to keep wages down.

It was always passed off as we are all
living in a harmonious multi-racial society. Even political leaders
branded people with legitimate concerns as bigots.

Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly racist
way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance from them.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 12:01:42 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:

[...]

So anything that doesn't conform to your idiot socialist view is fake news?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly racist
way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance from them.

It's not just a few people in insignificant extremist groups.

It's the people who have branded 17 million people as racist, bigoted,
simple minded etc., before and after the referendum, who are really
responsible for much of the vote going the way it did and the hardening
of opinions since. Reap what you sow!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 14:09:19 +0100, alan_m wrote:

This would have happened in a general election if any of the main
parties had offered a plausible policy but they were all too scared of
being labelled racist.

Oh dear. Now you've done it: Plowman's going to call you a "proud racist"
for that totally innocuous remark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/06/2018 07:00, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 7 June 2018 10:04:43 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 07/06/2018 08:31, newshound wrote:
On 07/06/2018 07:41, harry wrote:
I've heard most of this before but some new stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...c-bedroom.html

I didn't find any of it interesting; only all rather irritating.

+1
Do we all sleep with the lights on in rooms we paint each day with
solvent based paints?
Mainly bollox with an advertisement for exotic paint thrown in for good
measure.

There really are some ****-fer-brains here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volati...ogenic_sources

Well you finally got something right.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Oddly, I'd say it had little to do with racism, as such.

Very little to do with being racist but it didn't stop people who wanted
to discuss immigration in a sensible way always being branded racist.
As a result no one in the Westminster Village seemed bothered to listen
about immigration concerns.

Oh c'mon. Lots gave lip service to restricting immigration at election
time - then did nothing about it.

For Labour, it likely meant lots of extra voters.
For the Tories, a nice supply of extra labour to keep wages down.

It was always passed off as we are all
living in a harmonious multi-racial society. Even political leaders
branded people with legitimate concerns as bigots.

Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly racist
way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance from them.

Oh. OK, please express in a non-racist way why we have this problem
because of politicians having only paid lip service to restricting
immigration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

[...]

Good grief. So you still believe the Mail and 2 million Turks have come to
the UK?

You must be a pushover for double glazing salesmen.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly racist
way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance from them.

It's not just a few people in insignificant extremist groups.

It's the people who have branded 17 million people as racist, bigoted,
simple minded etc., before and after the referendum, who are really
responsible for much of the vote going the way it did and the hardening
of opinions since. Reap what you sow!

Ah - right. Label someone and they become that stereotype.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 14:09:19 +0100, alan_m wrote:

This would have happened in a general election if any of the main
parties had offered a plausible policy but they were all too scared of
being labelled racist.

Oh dear. Now you've done it: Plowman's going to call you a "proud
racist" for that totally innocuous remark.

You really need to stop stalking someone you've claimed to have killfiled.

Put me totally out of your mind. Just keep your head firmly in the sand
for everything.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly
racist way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance
from them.

Oh. OK, please express in a non-racist way why we have this problem
because of politicians having only paid lip service to restricting
immigration.

Already have done. But you obviously didn't bother reading it.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly
racist way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance
from them.

Oh. OK, please express in a non-racist way why we have this problem
because of politicians having only paid lip service to restricting
immigration.

Already have done. But you obviously didn't bother reading it.

OK, so you're a closet racist. Thanks for the clarification.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

It's the people who have branded 17 million people as racist, bigoted,
simple minded etc., before and after the referendum, who are really
responsible for much of the vote going the way it did and the hardening
of opinions since. Reap what you sow!

Ah - right. Label someone and they become that stereotype.

No you just **** off a lot of people. When a large percentage of the
population get ****ed of with politicians because they are being
labelled racist, stupid etc., do not expect these people to support you
or your views on any subject.

I suspect the brexit vote would have had a different outcome if those on
the remain side had risen above the mire of mud slinging, insults and
the child-like campaign of fear and treated the British public with
respect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
Trouble being many who expressed such concerns did it in an overtly
racist way. So not surprising many politicians kept their distance
from them.

Oh. OK, please express in a non-racist way why we have this problem
because of politicians having only paid lip service to restricting
immigration.

Already have done. But you obviously didn't bother reading it.

OK, so you're a closet racist. Thanks for the clarification.

You've not read or understood it then? Hardly a surprise.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:

It's the people who have branded 17 million people as racist, bigoted,
simple minded etc., before and after the referendum, who are really
responsible for much of the vote going the way it did and the hardening
of opinions since. Reap what you sow!

Ah - right. Label someone and they become that stereotype.

No you just **** off a lot of people. When a large percentage of the
population get ****ed of with politicians because they are being
labelled racist, stupid etc., do not expect these people to support you
or your views on any subject.

Are you saying racism is actually rather rare, then?

I suspect the brexit vote would have had a different outcome if those on
the remain side had risen above the mire of mud slinging, insults and
the child-like campaign of fear and treated the British public with
respect.

What a very odd notion. Surely most people vote to give the best result
for them and theirs. Or has everyone suddenly become altruistic now too?

But since you think the leave campaign was one of fear, you must have
believed the lies from the Brexit one. Do you still do?

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 12:34, Martin wrote:

Double glazing? He is the middle of upgrading to triple glazing and having solar
panels fitted to his roof.

A friend selling a house has just had one of the "energy surveys" and
the results downgraded because his double glazing isn't triple glazing
and he hasn't got solar hot water heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:

[...]

Most people did vote for the best result!

But since you think the leave campaign was one of fear, you must have
believed the lies from the Brexit one. Do you still do?

I didn't believe any the lies from both sides. When politicians resort
to lies and negative campaigning for me they have NOTHING to say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
What a very odd notion. Surely most people vote to give the best result
for them and theirs. Or has everyone suddenly become altruistic now too?

Most people did vote for the best result!

I'm afraid you saying that cuts no ice. Only time will tell. And so far,
it isn't promising.

--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?