Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default How do flatbed microwave ovens work?

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 June 2018 15:23:49 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens?
Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or
is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits
at the side as before?

I asked Mr Google that exact question, and Mr Google said:

With the Flatbed microwave the microwaves are emitted from a rotating antenna located underneath the base of your microwave. The microwaves still bounce around the cavity but at slightly different angles to the turntable microwave.

http://eng-au.faq.panasonic.com/app/...tbed-microwave.

Why do the flatbed microwave times vary compared to turntable ovens?

Please note that this product uses bottom feeding technology for microwave distribution which differs from traditional turntable side feeding methods and creates more useable space for a variety of different sized dishes.
With the flatbed style you may notice a difference in heating times (in microwave mode) when compared against side feeding appliances.
This is quite normal and should not cause any concern. One way to overcome this is to use a cooking trivett to place under your dish.

Owain

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

Basically the later I should think.

The one I had in the 1980s had a large aperture covered with mica on
the roof of the cooking cavity. The Magnetron was at the side of the
cavity with a brass wave guide leading up to the top. A squirrel-cage
fan blows air up the wave guide and not only cools the Magnetron, but
also rotates a paddle-wheel at the top, a rotating antenna, carrying
multiple reflectors thar distribute the radiation throughout the
cavity. I imagine modern bottom entry ones do a similar trick, but I
have yet to work on one.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:13:58 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Thjat's precisely the site I read before asking in here. That doesn't say how they get the magnetron to fit though.

--
In the UK, 17% of employees are health and safety officers.
Say NO! to health and safety in the workplace, before there are no real workers left!
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:19 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

I didn't realise they were available in 1980. So why aren't they all like that? Does it add a lot to the price?

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 15:23:45 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:19 +0100, Graham., yet another braindead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

Basically the later I should think.

Basically you ARE a senile troll-feeding moron!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 08:13:58 -0700 (PDT), s ,
another mentally deficient, troll-feeding Google groper, blabbered:

"Mr Google"? What a blithering senile IDIOT! tsk
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[...]

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/P...iterature.html

I've still got the 170 page hard-back cookery book.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:13:54 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

Bloody hell, those look like very well made and very expensive(?) products.

--
A guy bought his wife a beautiful diamond ring for Christmas.
A friend of his said, "I thought she wanted one of those sporty 4-Wheel drive vehicles."

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2018 18:13, Graham. wrote:
[...]

That looks quite a sophisticated one for the early 80s. We bought one
around 1981 and it had just a simple turn and 'run back' timer. It did
last about 17 years, with only a couple of O rings in the turn table
drive. We only disposed of it as it started to look tatty.

We've had several since, none have lasted so well.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:13:54 +0100, Graham., yet another braindead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

You've been had by the dumbest troll these groups have ever seen, you brain
dead idiot!
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 19:06:45 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

I once had a microwave that decided to run continuously for no reason, I think some water got through into the workings underneath. Maybe it was just the motor, but I couldn't be bothered as it was a cheap oven so I threw it out. I should have had a look inside.

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fancy roatting waveguide, how do you think radar sets do it?
Blimey, you is gettin worse wiv your silly kwesteongs.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave
ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the
food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is
redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide,
and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled
citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back many years ago this idea was tried by Philips, their microwaves with
the drop down door, and with rotating aerial rather than a turntable. to be
quite honest it was rubbish and left cold spots in the food so you still had
to stop and turn the food.

I think the mistake is that the cavity is not moved in relation to the food
so standing waves still exist in the same places and only moving the food
relative to those is a true answer to this.
End of story.
Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have no experience of radar sets. And google did not explain the inner workings of a microwave. I just got adverts from manufacturers saying how the cooking was easier and better.

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 21:21:22 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Fancy roatting waveguide, how do you think radar sets do it?
Blimey, you is gettin worse wiv your silly kwesteongs.
Brian

--
The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to hate each other peacefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That doesn't make sense. Spinning the pattern of microwave radiation must be identical to spinning the food. In both cases they are rotated in relation to one another.

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 21:25:40 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Back many years ago this idea was tried by Philips, their microwaves with
the drop down door, and with rotating aerial rather than a turntable. to be
quite honest it was rubbish and left cold spots in the food so you still had
to stop and turn the food.

I think the mistake is that the cavity is not moved in relation to the food
so standing waves still exist in the same places and only moving the food
relative to those is a true answer to this.
End of story.
Brian

--
Bumper sticker: "Help! She's farted and I can't get out."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 21:21:22 +0100, Brian Daft, the notorious, obviously
mentally deficient, troll-feeding senile idiot, blabbered again:

Fancy roatting waveguide, how do you think radar sets do it?
Blimey, you is gettin worse wiv your silly kwesteongs.
Brian

Trust that you brain dead idiot will not miss out on feeding him! tsk
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

I'm still using the Sharp I bought in 73 almost every day.

It does have a proper electronic control and display.

Never had to do a thing to it.

Corse now it will curl up and die and it will be your fault.

We've had several since, none have lasted so well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 June 2018 21:32:34 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 21:25:40 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Back many years ago this idea was tried by Philips, their microwaves with
the drop down door, and with rotating aerial rather than a turntable. to be
quite honest it was rubbish and left cold spots in the food so you still had
to stop and turn the food.

I think the mistake is that the cavity is not moved in relation to the food
so standing waves still exist in the same places and only moving the food
relative to those is a true answer to this.
End of story.
Brian

That doesn't make sense. Spinning the pattern of microwave radiation must be identical to spinning the food. In both cases they are rotated in relation to one another.

not identical at all. turntables produce much better evenness than stirrers. Both together are best.

NT

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Whatever happened to Sharp, they still seem to be in business, but I haven't seen anything made by them for a decade or two.

--
Mr Churchill is reputed to have once said
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there'll be no withdrawal"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:12:06 +0100, wrote:

[...]

As I said, it's relative. The food and the microwave pattern are relative to each other. Where the oven is and where the kitchen is don't matter. If you rotate the food, or rotate the microwave pattern, PRECISELY the same effect is achieved.

--
Wife to husband: "What's your excuse for coming home at this time of night?"
Husband to wife: "Golfing with friends, my dear."
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Whatever happened to Sharp,

Nothing special here.

they still seem to be in business,

Yep.

but I haven't seen anything made by them for a decade or two.

They arent as cheap as the worst crap but still buyable here.
https://www.sharp.net.au/

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe here too, but I just haven't seen anyone with a Sharp device for 20 years. They used to be everywhere. AFAIK they were always midrange. Not overpriced like Sony, but decent. Something like LG.

Just checked a retailer he https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...-criteria.html
5 Sharp microwaves on offer, but 40 Russell Hobbs, 29 Bosch, 24 Swan, 15 Samsung, 25 Hotpoint. So not the most popular by far.

--
Intercourse prevents divorce.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Ozzie Alert!

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 21:01:14 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Nothing special here.

NEITHER of you two idiotic trolls is! BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 June 2018 11:41:57 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:12:06 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I know you think that, you already said. And as so many have pointed out you're clueless.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:44:35 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Not one person has pointed out why one is more efficient than the other. Please do explain and I will be happy to accept I'm wrong. I doubt Panasonic will though.

--
United Airlines Flight Attendant: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as you are all now painfully aware, our Captain has landed in Seattle. From all of us at United Airlines we'd like to thank you for flying with us today and please be very careful as you open the overhead bins as you may be killed by falling luggage that shifted during our so called "touch down."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 June 2018 13:08:57 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:44:35 +0100, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

you're too clueless to even accept you might be wrong. I'm not going to spend any more time on this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:10:14 +0100, wrote:

[...]

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said, Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

--
My schoolmates would make love to anything that moved, but I never saw any reason to limit myself. - Emo Phillips

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:14:53 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said, Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

I've a Panasonic one for just over three years. It's quicker than its
turntable predecessor and I've never had any problems with it not
cooking food throughout.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said, Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

I've a Panasonic one for just over three years. It's quicker than its
turntable predecessor and I've never had any problems with it not
cooking food throughout.

I've never had a problem with any microwave not cooking throughout. Conventional ovens are uneven, they burn the outside and don't cook the inside sufficiently. Pans are just as bad, you get stuff heated more at the bottom than the top, and often burned onto the pan. The only advantage I can see for flatbeds is, as Panasonic advertise, you can stick any shape of dish in there. It doesn't need room to rotate.

--
Muslims have gone on the rampage in Manchester, killing anyone who's English. Police fear the death toll could be as high as 8 or 9.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiots Alert!

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:44:04 +0100, Peter Johnson, another obviously
mentally deficient troll-feeding moron, blabbered:

I've never had any problems with it not
cooking food throughout.

You GOT a problem with feeding an abnormal troll and attention whore though,
oh senile one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I will, particularly with the microwaves with a built in meat temperature
sensor. Clearly a lot easier to do those with the food not rotating.

And I can also see why rotating the food gets a more even distribution
of the microwaves into the food too. Harder to explain that one tho.

Please do explain and I will be happy to accept I'm wrong. I doubt
Panasonic will though.

With anything where you see both offered, there must be good reasons for
both approaches
and it can't just be habit/tradition when its been going on for 40 years or
more now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I see no way it could be explained. Two objects, the food and the microwave pattern. Rotate one, rotate the other, same effect.

Please do explain and I will be happy to accept I'm wrong. I doubt
Panasonic will though.

With anything where you see both offered, there must be good reasons for
both approaches
and it can't just be habit/tradition when its been going on for 40 years or
more now.

Price I would think.

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person
has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said,
Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to
argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

I've a Panasonic one for just over three years. It's quicker than its
turntable predecessor and I've never had any problems with it not
cooking food throughout.

I've never had a problem with any microwave not cooking throughout.

Conventional ovens are uneven, they burn the outside and don't cook the
inside sufficiently.

For some stuff like a leg of lamb, you need that effect to get
a properly done outside and pink inside that most prefer.

Same with steak, hopeless in a microwave.

The only advantage I can see for flatbeds is, as Panasonic advertise, you
can stick any shape of dish in there. It doesn't need room to rotate.

And presumably is harder to design so it works well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person
has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said,
Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to
argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

I've a Panasonic one for just over three years. It's quicker than its
turntable predecessor and I've never had any problems with it not
cooking food throughout.

I've never had a problem with any microwave not cooking throughout.

Conventional ovens are uneven, they burn the outside and don't cook the
inside sufficiently.

For some stuff like a leg of lamb, you need that effect to get
a properly done outside and pink inside that most prefer.

Same with steak, hopeless in a microwave.

Not that I eat meat, but I don't see why you'd want uneven cooking of anything.

The only advantage I can see for flatbeds is, as Panasonic advertise, you
can stick any shape of dish in there. It doesn't need room to rotate..

And presumably is harder to design so it works well.

Spinning aerial and a wave guide tube, not that hard surely?

--
If you own a £3,000 machine gun and a £5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 07:15:55 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed produced
yet more of his usual senile rot:

For some stuff like a leg of lamb, you need that effect to get
a properly done outside and pink inside that most prefer.

You need your senile Ozzie brain microwaved, Rot!

--
bm about Rot Speed:
"The prick with hindsight."

How do flatbed microwave ovens work? Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Home Repair 20 June 4th 18 01:12 PM
? Fixing Burned Flatbed Scanner Power Resistor Alec S.[_2_] Electronics Repair 22 August 30th 08 01:38 AM
HP 5190 flatbed scanner service info [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 March 3rd 07 11:36 PM
FS: Flatbed Sander Woodworking 0 August 2nd 03 07:37 PM
FS: Performax 16-32+ Flatbed Sander Woodworking 1 July 18th 03 08:08 PM