Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default How do flatbed microwave ovens work?

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

Basically the later I should think.

The one I had in the 1980s had a large aperture covered with mica on
the roof of the cooking cavity. The Magnetron was at the side of the
cavity with a brass wave guide leading up to the top. A squirrel-cage
fan blows air up the wave guide and not only cools the Magnetron, but
also rotates a paddle-wheel at the top, a rotating antenna, carrying
multiple reflectors thar distribute the radiation throughout the
cavity. I imagine modern bottom entry ones do a similar trick, but I
have yet to work on one.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:19 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

I didn't realise they were available in 1980. So why aren't they all like that? Does it add a lot to the price?

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 15:23:45 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:19 +0100, Graham., yet another braindead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

Basically the later I should think.

Basically you ARE a senile troll-feeding moron!

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[...]

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/P...iterature.html

I've still got the 170 page hard-back cookery book.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:13:54 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

Bloody hell, those look like very well made and very expensive(?) products.

--
A guy bought his wife a beautiful diamond ring for Christmas.
A friend of his said, "I thought she wanted one of those sporty 4-Wheel drive vehicles."
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2018 18:13, Graham. wrote:
[...]

That looks quite a sophisticated one for the early 80s. We bought one
around 1981 and it had just a simple turn and 'run back' timer. It did
last about 17 years, with only a couple of O rings in the turn table
drive. We only disposed of it as it started to look tatty.

We've had several since, none have lasted so well.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:13:54 +0100, Graham., yet another braindead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

You've been had by the dumbest troll these groups have ever seen, you brain
dead idiot!
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 19:06:45 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

I once had a microwave that decided to run continuously for no reason, I think some water got through into the workings underneath. Maybe it was just the motor, but I couldn't be bothered as it was a cheap oven so I threw it out. I should have had a look inside.

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

I'm still using the Sharp I bought in 73 almost every day.

It does have a proper electronic control and display.

Never had to do a thing to it.

Corse now it will curl up and die and it will be your fault.

We've had several since, none have lasted so well.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Whatever happened to Sharp, they still seem to be in business, but I haven't seen anything made by them for a decade or two.

--
Mr Churchill is reputed to have once said
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there'll be no withdrawal"
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Whatever happened to Sharp,

Nothing special here.

they still seem to be in business,

Yep.

but I haven't seen anything made by them for a decade or two.

They arent as cheap as the worst crap but still buyable here.
https://www.sharp.net.au/

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe here too, but I just haven't seen anyone with a Sharp device for 20 years. They used to be everywhere. AFAIK they were always midrange. Not overpriced like Sony, but decent. Something like LG.

Just checked a retailer he https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...-criteria.html
5 Sharp microwaves on offer, but 40 Russell Hobbs, 29 Bosch, 24 Swan, 15 Samsung, 25 Hotpoint. So not the most popular by far.

--
Intercourse prevents divorce.
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Ozzie Alert!

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 21:01:14 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Nothing special here.

NEITHER of you two idiotic trolls is! BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There's heaps here
https://www.sharp.net.au/home-products/microwaves

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 09:45:07 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed produced
yet more rot:

There's heaps here
https://www.sharp.net.au/home-products/microwaves

Senile idiot and infantile idiot -after a long period of estrangement and
sulking at each other- found each other again! Bruahahahahahahahahahaaa!!!
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed

http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...img/index_img_

[...]

I recall a Phillips one in the 70's which had the controls and
presumably the magnetron above the cavity. I don't think it had a
turntable. One would suit me now as it woual be narrower.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I recall a Phillips one in the 70's which had the controls and
presumably the magnetron above the cavity. I don't think it had a
turntable. One would suit me now as it woual be narrower.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but how common are they compared to other makes?

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 11:29:55 +0100, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it rotated? How unevenly cooked would something be without rotation? Would conduction of heat make up for it? I guess somebody could try it by removing the turntable from a conventional microwave.

--
Two men were talking.
"My son asked me what I did during the Sexual Revolution," said one.

! Flatbed Scanner Repaired (Sort-of) Alec S.[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 October 27th 08 06:13 PM
? Fixing Burned Flatbed Scanner Power Resistor Alec S.[_2_] Electronics Repair 22 August 30th 08 01:38 AM
HP 5190 flatbed scanner service info [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 March 3rd 07 11:36 PM
FS: Flatbed Sander Woodworking 0 August 2nd 03 07:37 PM
FS: Performax 16-32+ Flatbed Sander Woodworking 1 July 18th 03 08:08 PM