Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling gaps between concrete slabs - HELP!

Hi, I need some advice. I have huge concrete slabs in my patio which were
never filled. Ive removed all moss and weeds and plan on power washing.
Id like to fill them afterwards.
Ive checked online and can see advice is to use mortar. The tutorials
Ive seen have all been for slabs with the smallest of gaps between them. My
slabs have gaps up to an inch wide in some places and the base is a thick mud.
What is the best thing to use to fill? Ill also be doing this on my own so
wont be a professional so looking for easiest and cheapest option
preferably!
Thanks, kelly x

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...p-1290896-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 May 2018 00:14:04 UTC+1, KellyAS wrote:
Hi, I need some advice. I have huge concrete slabs in my patio which were
never filled. Ive removed all moss and weeds and plan on power washing.
Id like to fill them afterwards.
Ive checked online and can see advice is to use mortar. The tutorials
Ive seen have all been for slabs with the smallest of gaps between them. My
slabs have gaps up to an inch wide in some places and the base is a thick mud.
What is the best thing to use to fill? Ill also be doing this on my own so
wont be a professional so looking for easiest and cheapest option
preferably!
Thanks, kelly x

Sand & cement is the usual thing. The best is epoxy mortar but far to expensive for 1" gaps.

The usual method is mix it dry with dried sand, brush into the gaps & leave to get damp & set. You might want to follow with a little tool pressing it down flat for better strength.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2018 00:14, KellyAS wrote:
Hi, I need some advice. I have huge concrete slabs in my patio which were
never filled. Ive removed all moss and weeds and plan on power washing.
Id like to fill them afterwards. Ive checked online and can see advice
is to use mortar. The tutorials
Ive seen have all been for slabs with the smallest of gaps between
them. My
slabs have gaps up to an inch wide in some places and the base is a
thick mud.
What is the best thing to use to fill? Ill also be doing this on my
own so
wont be a professional so looking for easiest and cheapest option
preferably!

Sand and cement mortar - with added colouring if required. Mix it with
very little water so that it can't stain the slabs - you can add some
plasticiser like feb mix to make it more workable. It want to be just
wet enough to stick together if you squeeze it into a ball.

Work it will into the gaps and trowel it in with a narrow pointing tool
or trowel. If any gets on the slabs, leave it to dry - on a hot day it
will dry out before it gets a chance to hydrate properly, and hence will
not cure properly - it will be crumbly and easy to brush off the surface
later.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/18 00:14, KellyAS wrote:
Hi, I need some advice. I have huge concrete slabs in my patio which were
never filled. Ive removed all moss and weeds and plan on power washing.
Id like to fill them afterwards.
Ive checked online and can see advice is to use mortar. The tutorials
Ive seen have all been for slabs with the smallest of gaps between them. My
slabs have gaps up to an inch wide in some places and the base is a thick mud.
What is the best thing to use to fill? Ill also be doing this on my own so
wont be a professional so looking for easiest and cheapest option
preferably!
Thanks, kelly x

It will be more expensive than mortar, but Easyjoint is pretty simple to
use:
https://www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx#Overview

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bit worried about why there are such big gaps, one might expect such things
in crazy paving but not slabs. Is it moving due to having no edging fixed in
place? If so I suspect any filling of the gaps will be at best temporary for
this year.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2018 09:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
Bit worried about why there are such big gaps, one might expect such things
in crazy paving but not slabs. Is it moving due to having no edging fixed in
place? If so I suspect any filling of the gaps will be at best temporary for
this year.

Scrapped out gaps that only have mud in the bottom suggest that maybe
the slaps may have just been laid straight on to bare ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Brian Gaff, KellyAS wrote:
They are huge square concrete slabs that must have been here for decades.
Theyre not moving anywhere. Heavy as hell and no idea how deep they go

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...p-1290896-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2018 09:45:47 +0100
alan_m wrote:

On 31/05/2018 09:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
Bit worried about why there are such big gaps, one might expect
such things in crazy paving but not slabs. Is it moving due to
having no edging fixed in place? If so I suspect any filling of the
gaps will be at best temporary for this year.

Scrapped out gaps that only have mud in the bottom suggest that maybe
the slaps may have just been laid straight on to bare ground.

From the sound of it they may have been poured onto bare ground, and
the gaps are where the shuttering was.