Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filling in concrete slabs

OK after doing some major plumbing work, I have now four bathrooms and one
kitchen with holes of varying sizes to fill back with concrete.

The largest hole is 7' wide x 5' long by 4" thick, the smallest one is about
a 12"x12"x4".

I will be doing termite sprays, moisture barriers, and rebar ties for all
the big holes and throw in some wire meshes as well.

Now the problem is how to get the concrete into those holes.

Obviously the fastest way is to measure them off and calculate the yardage
and order the concrete to be delivered and wheel it in and fill them all in
one shot...but this makes me very uneasy.

I remember last time I did this, the concrete truck was very close to my
driveway, it spills all sorts of concrete into my driveway and stairway as
well as fence, took me a long time to clean them off. As the wheel barrow
fills up and gets wheeled to the individual rooms, they also spill and drip
and made a mess, and finally I don't think I can handle filling of 9 holes
in 5 rooms and smooth them fast enough...

I prefer to take it one room at a time and if I mess up I learn from my
mistake as I move forward.

So I think I will mix my own and pour at my own pace. I will need to rent a
concrete mixer (or may be cheaper to buy one if I have to rent for an entire
week).

question is for the large hole - 5'x7'x4" thick, I might have to mix several
times. So is it ok if I say divide it up, put may be a sheet of plywood in
between and pour in sections, do one, wait for it to dry in a day, and pour
another section...is that ok? I know this is probably not as strong as one
continuous pour in one single step but I don't think I can do enough fast
enough.

Would appreciate any thoughts and comments on what's the best way to attack
this.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:37:14 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

In the time you have spent worrying and writing about it, you could
have already have finished it.

Put your vapor barrier down and start the mixer and get busy. Each
time you dump a load, mix it in with the last load you dumped. It
won't dry and harden in the 30 minutes it takes to mix up another
batch, so you just keep mixing, dumping and stirring it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 8:37*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I remember last time I did this, the concrete truck was very close to my
driveway, it spills all sorts of concrete into my driveway and stairway as
well as fence, took me a long time to clean them off. *As the wheel barrow
fills up and gets wheeled to the individual rooms, they also spill and drip
and made a mess, and finally I don't think I can handle filling of 9 holes
in 5 rooms and smooth them fast enough...

Here in the Phoenix area, there are places where you can order small
batches of concrete in a dump-it-yourself trailer. Might work for you
if you or a friend have a truck with a hitch. Sounds a lot easier than
mixing the 20 bags that another poster estimated by yourself.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
OK after doing some major plumbing work, I have now four bathrooms and one
kitchen with holes of varying sizes to fill back with concrete.

The largest hole is 7' wide x 5' long by 4" thick, the smallest one is
about a 12"x12"x4".

I will be doing termite sprays, moisture barriers, and rebar ties for all
the big holes and throw in some wire meshes as well.

Now the problem is how to get the concrete into those holes.

Obviously the fastest way is to measure them off and calculate the yardage
and order the concrete to be delivered and wheel it in and fill them all
in one shot...but this makes me very uneasy.

You could also pump it in.

I remember last time I did this, the concrete truck was very close to my
driveway, it spills all sorts of concrete into my driveway and stairway as
well as fence, took me a long time to clean them off. As the wheel barrow
fills up and gets wheeled to the individual rooms, they also spill and
drip and made a mess, and finally I don't think I can handle filling of 9
holes in 5 rooms and smooth them fast enough...

I prefer to take it one room at a time and if I mess up I learn from my
mistake as I move forward.

So I think I will mix my own and pour at my own pace. I will need to rent
a concrete mixer (or may be cheaper to buy one if I have to rent for an
entire week).

Small mixers are cheap now, look at the Husky at Home Depot for around $260.
I've done 20 yards so far with that Husky.

question is for the large hole - 5'x7'x4" thick, I might have to mix
several times. So is it ok if I say divide it up, put may be a sheet of
plywood in between and pour in sections, do one, wait for it to dry in a
day, and pour another section...is that ok? I know this is probably not
as strong as one continuous pour in one single step but I don't think I
can do enough fast enough.

You should able to do 5x7 in one pour, I've done 10x10 on a mixer with just
the wife and me. I have the mixer next to the form to dump the mix. Your
advantage is that its indoors and more time to work with before the concrete
sets up. How are you transporting all that concrete without screwing up the
interior of the house as wheelbarrows don't turn well in tight hallways.

Would appreciate any thoughts and comments on what's the best way to
attack this.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Google "Yard at a Time" concrete

OK after doing some major plumbing work, I have now four bathrooms and one
kitchen with holes of varying sizes to fill back with concrete.

Whats the best way of joining 2 concrete slabs - if there is one dutchman UK diy 1 February 27th 08 09:02 AM
Removing concrete stains on slabs? A.Lee UK diy 1 July 23rd 07 12:25 AM
Weight of concrete slabs Mary Fisher UK diy 24 June 25th 06 06:49 PM
Making concrete slabs Broadback UK diy 4 February 17th 06 07:17 PM
Getting rid of concrete slabs Stephen Gower UK diy 2 January 22nd 04 07:54 PM