Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Filling in concrete slabs

OK after doing some major plumbing work, I have now four bathrooms and one
kitchen with holes of varying sizes to fill back with concrete.

The largest hole is 7' wide x 5' long by 4" thick, the smallest one is about
a 12"x12"x4".

I will be doing termite sprays, moisture barriers, and rebar ties for all
the big holes and throw in some wire meshes as well.

Now the problem is how to get the concrete into those holes.

Obviously the fastest way is to measure them off and calculate the yardage
and order the concrete to be delivered and wheel it in and fill them all in
one shot...but this makes me very uneasy.

I remember last time I did this, the concrete truck was very close to my
driveway, it spills all sorts of concrete into my driveway and stairway as
well as fence, took me a long time to clean them off. As the wheel barrow
fills up and gets wheeled to the individual rooms, they also spill and drip
and made a mess, and finally I don't think I can handle filling of 9 holes
in 5 rooms and smooth them fast enough...

I prefer to take it one room at a time and if I mess up I learn from my
mistake as I move forward.

So I think I will mix my own and pour at my own pace. I will need to rent a
concrete mixer (or may be cheaper to buy one if I have to rent for an entire
week).

question is for the large hole - 5'x7'x4" thick, I might have to mix several
times. So is it ok if I say divide it up, put may be a sheet of plywood in
between and pour in sections, do one, wait for it to dry in a day, and pour
another section...is that ok? I know this is probably not as strong as one
continuous pour in one single step but I don't think I can do enough fast
enough.

Would appreciate any thoughts and comments on what's the best way to attack
this.

Thanks,

MC