Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device

Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

It was only cheap, how much does one need to pay to get one that is a bit more inspiring!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out
walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive,
with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out
how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

It was only cheap, how much does one need to pay to get one that is a bit
more inspiring!?

Nothing, any half way decent phone can do it for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2018 13:17:38 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk wrote:

Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

It was only cheap, how much does one need to pay to get one that is a bit more inspiring!?

I bought one of those late last year. Not yet got the hang of it, but all I
want is to be able to: Start/Stop it easily; delete the recorded data in a
simple way; start a new record.
I was hoping to get some idea of spot speed, intermediate distance and time
at a glance.
The downloaded 'manual' is so basic it's little more use than if it had
'Izal' as its ()sole contents!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2018 21:17, Murmansk wrote:
Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

There's some vids about the Etrex 10 at

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...armin+Etrex+10

Some of these might provide some clues.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/18 08:49, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 13:17:38 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk wrote:

Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

It was only cheap, how much does one need to pay to get one that is a bit more inspiring!?

I bought one of those late last year. Not yet got the hang of it, but all I
want is to be able to: Start/Stop it easily; delete the recorded data in a
simple way; start a new record.
I was hoping to get some idea of spot speed, intermediate distance and time
at a glance.
The downloaded 'manual' is so basic it's little more use than if it had
'Izal' as its ()sole contents!

isnt this why one has a smart phone?

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2018 13:16:34 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 29/05/2018 21:17, Murmansk wrote:
Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking.

They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't for the life of me work out how to access the routes I've uploaded onto it as a GPX file.

There's some vids about the Etrex 10 at

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...armin+Etrex+10

Some of these might provide some clues.

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if they will help.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, I've had a look on YouTube and there are indeed a few useful videos but really in the age of smartphones and touchscreens this particular Garmin device is something of a dinosaur and reminds me of devices from the distant past which seemed impressive to us at the time but now we look back and just laugh!!

The only advantages of it are that its battery lasts quite a long time, it's waterproof and it's rugged
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh yes, I forgot to say, the manual is utterly and completely ****e!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2018 10:00:33 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk wrote:

Thanks, I've had a look on YouTube and there are indeed a few useful videos but really in the age of smartphones and touchscreens this particular Garmin device is something of a dinosaur and reminds me of devices from the distant past which seemed impressive to us at the time but now we look back and just laugh!!

The only advantages of it are that its battery lasts quite a long time, it's waterproof and it's rugged

For when you really need an accurate position either on the hills or at sea a
dedicated GPS device always trumps a 'smartphone' especially with the extended
battery life and being built for the outdoors rather than posing down the pub.

Surprised you have a problem using one. The manuals were often not much more
than a menu tree, the options fairly self explanatory.

I've still got (and use) a Garmin Geko 201 that's working fine at around 15
years old, a really basic 12 channel GPS with a four button interface and a
screen with not much more resolution than a mobile from that era.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks, I've had a look on YouTube and there are indeed a few useful
videos but really in the age of smartphones and touchscreens this
particular Garmin device is something of a dinosaur and reminds me of
devices from the distant past which seemed impressive to us at the time
but now we look back and just laugh!!

The only advantages of it are that its battery lasts quite a long time,
it's waterproof and it's rugged

For when you really need an accurate position either on the hills
or at sea a dedicated GPS device always trumps a 'smartphone'

Nope.

especially with the extended battery life

Trivially fixed with a battery case.

and being built for the outdoors

Trivially fixed with a life proof case.

And the smartphone does a hell of a lot more
as well, including much better maps etc too.

rather than posing down the pub.

Surprised you have a problem using one. The manuals were often
not much more than a menu tree, the options fairly self explanatory.

This cheapy clearly isnt.

Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem N_Cook Electronics Repair 11 May 14th 16 01:00 AM
Is the Garmin nüvi 670 power mount compatible with the Garmin zumo 660? Kat Rabun Electronics Repair 7 March 31st 10 01:49 PM
Garmin Ga 29 Marine Remote Gps Antenna (010-00174-03) [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 09 06:31 AM
Some Garmin GPS input please Steve Barker DLT Home Repair 15 September 13th 08 05:10 PM
Is it possible to convert an USB wire device to a bluetooth device? Frank Electronics Repair 2 December 2nd 06 02:20 AM