Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finger in the air estimate - new fence.

A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete posts
another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Next door had their fence replaced (estimated 20 metres) by 3 men in less
than a day including making them move their proposed fence line which took
a chunk out of our garden to go around next door's apple trees which had
become integral with the old fence. Cheeky sods!

I suspect there may be an allowance for clearing bits of tree and
shrubbery which have grown into and over the old fence, but £3.5k seems a
bit stiff.

House is in a nice part of town which may attract a premium quote, of
course.

Anyway, what is the going rate per metre of a board fence?

I assume concrete posts and gravel boards and standard fence panels might
be cheaper, as well.

TIA

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, myself I'd suggest just over half what you suggested provided there
are not mega problems with levels and lots of old concreted iin stuff to get
out.
However, it can be cheaper to get those slotted concrete posts and slot in
ready made panels that you can then paint yourself for added protection.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was 10 years ago but we had quotes of about £3k for 50 metres of fence. I will never use wooden posts again, despite reassurances about pressurised treatment etc once in the ground it is only a matter of time before they rot through. We replaced them with concrete 4 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2018 16:01, Brian Gaff wrote:

However, it can be cheaper to get those slotted concrete posts and slot in
ready made panels that you can then paint yourself for added protection.

Or not paint them at all and make them last longer

The water based fence paints of today only change the colour for 6
months before they flake off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/18 20:23, alan_m wrote:
On 24/05/2018 16:01, Brian Gaff wrote:

Â* However, it can be cheaper to get those slotted concrete posts and
slot in
ready made panels that you can then paint yourself for added protection.

Or not paint them at all and make them last longer

The water based fence paints of today only change the colour for 6
months before they flake off.

Not so. a year after painting mnates fence it still looks the same color
and it aint flaked off because just soaked in

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2018 14:19, David wrote:
A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete posts
another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Next door had their fence replaced (estimated 20 metres) by 3 men in less
than a day including making them move their proposed fence line which took
a chunk out of our garden to go around next door's apple trees which had
become integral with the old fence. Cheeky sods!

Albeit a 5 years back, I paid £800 for a slightly longer length of
fencing which included:
Removal and disposal of old wooden 3ft high fence panels and old wooden
posts.
Replace with concrete posts, concrete barge boards and 6 ft high fence
panels.

No shrubbery needed to be cleared (grass on both sides of the fence). It
was 1 man for 4 days.

I would say that the quality of the fence was medium - much better than
my nieghbours fence but not as good as that just erected by the
neighbour to my mothers house. My mothers nieghbour said he paid £22 per
panel (only the panels - no posts or labour) from a mate in the trade.
This better quality fencing will have added perhaps another £100/150 to
my £800 bill.

My mother has just had a quote for the replacement of 6 off 6 foot
panels of this same quality fencing of £350.
The exiting concrete posts are not going to be replaced except one that
will be replaced/adjusted. The quote includes the disposal of the old
wooden 6 ft panels. The work will include the cutting back and disposal
of shrubbery which has grown through the existing fence from both sides.
Access for a couple of panels is restricted but the person doing the
quote has seen the layout. There is full cooperation from the neighbour
for hacking down their shrubbery and access etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

60' for £3,500 is £350 per 6' panel & post. What do you think?

Price is for continuous run, not for panels, but it does seem too high.

I am looking for suggestions of a reasonable price (as posted).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2018 16:01:27 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well, myself I'd suggest just over half what you suggested provided
there are not mega problems with levels and lots of old concreted iin
stuff to get out.
However, it can be cheaper to get those slotted concrete posts and slot
in
ready made panels that you can then paint yourself for added protection.

Brian

Panels have a finite lifetime (our current lot have lasted around 7 years
IIRC) although they are the basic ones and you can buy much higher quality
for a few tens of pounds more.

The mate I am asking on behalf of helped me put in the fence including
concrete posts but we are 7 years down the road now and don't fancy all
the hassle.

The main issue I see with fence panels is that you tend to grow stuff
against them and then the replacement cycle involves a lot of hackery. So
something which lasts, say, 15 years may be worth some extra money.

I am contemplating replacing the panels with concrete gravel boards to
provide a much longer term fence. We have already replaced two panels and
it has worked very well (apart from requiring two big hairy arsed builders
to lift the gravel boards into place).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 24 May 2018 14:19:51 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete posts
another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Had 3 quotes to replace a 13m panel and post fence (most posts broken!) with a feather edge fence. Two quotes of £1400 and one of £1800. I did it myself for £500 which included buying a decent post shovel. Took a weekend to take down the old fence and break up/burn and dig the 6 600mm holes and get the posts in, and another 2 part time weekends to cut the rebates for the arris rails and fix the boards

Arris brackets are available, saves cutting holes in the preserved
layer...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete posts
another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Find out the cost of the panels etc. Then see if the labour costs seem
reasonable. It only needs one (semi) skilled person - the others
labourers. And can't see why it needs three people.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

obviously

but it does seem too high.

a lot too high.

I am looking for suggestions of a reasonable price (as posted).

Labour rate depends where you are. You can look up he cost of the panels & posts you want & people have reported how long how much length of fence took to do.

For simple jobs like this if you know what to do a practical nonhandyman that's willing to work per hour is usually much cheaper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David pretended :
I am contemplating replacing the panels with concrete gravel boards to
provide a much longer term fence. We have already replaced two panels and
it has worked very well (apart from requiring two big hairy arsed builders
to lift the gravel boards into place).

I would suggest at least using one gravel board per panel, to lift any
wood up from the ground. Any wood permanently wet on the ground, will
rot quite quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David pretended :
I am contemplating replacing the panels with concrete gravel boards to
provide a much longer term fence. We have already replaced two panels
and it has worked very well (apart from requiring two big hairy arsed
builders to lift the gravel boards into place).

I would suggest at least using one gravel board per panel, to lift any
wood up from the ground. Any wood permanently wet on the ground, will
rot quite quickly.

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:55:52 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Yes, a common solution for the less salubrious areas.

Painted with exterior paint it looks remarkably good.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 19:51:54 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:55:52 +0100, alan_m wrote:
On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Yes, a common solution for the less salubrious areas.

Painted with exterior paint it looks remarkably good.

Cheers

Dave R

It's also expensive. Fine where needed, but not really where not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2018 19:51, David wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:55:52 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Yes, a common solution for the less salubrious areas.

They do have some advantages:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb6c6f

Painted with exterior paint it looks remarkably good.

I prefer wedges to stop the panels rattling in the wind and replacing
them as and when needed.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 May 2018 22:56:02 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 26/05/2018 19:51, David wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:55:52 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Yes, a common solution for the less salubrious areas.

They do have some advantages:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb6c6f

Painted with exterior paint it looks remarkably good.

I prefer wedges to stop the panels rattling in the wind and replacing
them as and when needed.

SteveW

The main aim is to use it as a heat store - it faces West and so the
afternoon/evening sun will warm it. This should help plants, shrubs etc
near the wall. Also us when sitting there.

I assume that it is cheaper than getting in a bunch of brickies to build a
wall.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 May 2018 13:15:05 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

timber fences don't store heat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

The concrete ones being discussed might do better.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

David wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Effective against chavs kicking them though ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 May 2018 15:49:01 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:

timber fences don't store heat.

The concrete ones being discussed might do better.

Sherlock strikes again