Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finger in the air estimate - new fence.

A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete posts
another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Next door had their fence replaced (estimated 20 metres) by 3 men in less
than a day including making them move their proposed fence line which took
a chunk out of our garden to go around next door's apple trees which had
become integral with the old fence. Cheeky sods!

I suspect there may be an allowance for clearing bits of tree and
shrubbery which have grown into and over the old fence, but £3.5k seems a
bit stiff.

House is in a nice part of town which may attract a premium quote, of
course.

Anyway, what is the going rate per metre of a board fence?

I assume concrete posts and gravel boards and standard fence panels might
be cheaper, as well.

TIA

Dave R

---