Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finger in the air estimate - new fence.

On Friday, 25 May 2018 13:18:06 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2018 18:37:24 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 24 May 2018 14:19:51 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google)
wrote:

A friend is getting quotes to replace a fence. The fence is 20 metres
long.

He has initially specified lapped boards and wooden posts (concrete
posts another option).

The fence needs a gate about half way along.

The old fence needs removing.

He has been quoted 3 men for 2 days and a total cost of around £3,500.

Does this seem reasonable?

Next door had their fence replaced (estimated 20 metres) by 3 men in
less than a day including making them move their proposed fence line
which took a chunk out of our garden to go around next door's apple
trees which had become integral with the old fence. Cheeky sods!

I suspect there may be an allowance for clearing bits of tree and
shrubbery which have grown into and over the old fence, but £3.5k seems
a bit stiff.

House is in a nice part of town which may attract a premium quote, of
course.

Anyway, what is the going rate per metre of a board fence?

I assume concrete posts and gravel boards and standard fence panels
might be cheaper, as well.

TIA

Dave R

60' for £3,500 is £350 per 6' panel & post. What do you think?

Price is for continuous run, not for panels,

obviously

but it does seem too high.

a lot too high.

I am looking for suggestions of a reasonable price (as posted).

Labour rate depends where you are. You can look up he cost of the panels & posts you want & people have reported how long how much length of fence took to do.

For simple jobs like this if you know what to do a practical nonhandyman that's willing to work per hour is usually much cheaper.

NT