Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Finger in the air estimate - new fence.

Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 27 May 2018 13:15:05 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 22:56:02 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/05/2018 19:51, David wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 16:55:52 +0100, alan_m wrote:
On 26/05/2018 14:17, David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:55:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

To be clear, I am talking about no wood at all but a number of gravel
boards stacked on top of each other.

This gives a concrete fence/wall which doesn't rattle in the breeze,
doesn't rot, and stores heat from the afternoon sun to radiate back.

And everywhere I've seen it done it looks like s***e

Yes, a common solution for the less salubrious areas.

They do have some advantages:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb6c6f

Painted with exterior paint it looks remarkably good.

I prefer wedges to stop the panels rattling in the wind and replacing
them as and when needed.

SteveW

The main aim is to use it as a heat store - it faces West and so the
afternoon/evening sun will warm it. This should help plants, shrubs etc
near the wall. Also us when sitting there.

I assume that it is cheaper than getting in a bunch of brickies to build a
wall.

Cheers

Dave R

timber fences don't store heat.

NT

The concrete ones being discussed might do better.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/