Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage door

Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted. The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life. We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted.Â* The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life.Â* We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Make of door? Material? Plastic coated steel, or aluminium.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted. The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life. We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Make of door? Material? Plastic coated steel, or aluminium.

Rust suggests steel...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 19:37:44 UTC+1, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted. The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life. We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

There are many ways. Look on youtube.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2018 20:34, Jim K wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted. The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life. We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Make of door? Material? Plastic coated steel, or aluminium.

Rust suggests steel...

Yes but the OP is sufficiently imprecise to suggest that they might call
corrosion on aluminium "rust". To me, "Rust spots" could be aluminium
rather than steel corrosion. The corrosion on either painted or plastic
coated steel is not so likely to be "spots", more likely flaking of the
coating with rust around the periphery.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 15/05/2018 20:34, Jim K wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
[...]

The OP's last door died of rust, I suspect he knows what he's
looking at?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted.Â* The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life.Â* We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

I'd expect a steel garage door to be galvanised. Finding it is rusting
after 6 years suggests it either isn't, is of poor quality, or has been
damaged.

Treat the areas- remove paint, treat with something like Kurust, a
protective primer, and finish coat(s).

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 19:37:44 UTC+1, PeteFJ wrote:
Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

Rust will last almost indefinitely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted.Â* The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life.Â* We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Sorry folks. The garage door is plastic coated steel, about two years old.
petefj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2018 08:14, PeteFJ wrote:
On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted.Â* The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life.Â* We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction
of the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and
in the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its
lifespan?

petefj

Sorry folks.Â* The garage door is plastic coated steel, about two years old.
petefj

So is this where the plastic is cracked, or lifting? I don't think there
are any easy solutions here. You need to remove the rust (and that
probably involves removing locally flaked plastic). Treat with Kurust or
similar. Try to re-seal the surface with a good paint. Even if you can
find something which sticks well to both the steel and the plastic, it
is quite likely to crack over time with thermal movements, etc.

Get a fibreglass or galvanised door next time.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2018 15:23, newshound wrote:
[...]

Or a plastic one of course. I see that PVC and ABS are available now.
(Some time since I looked).

Googling "garage door paint" offers several products which claim high
performance.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:14:47 +0100, PeteFJ wrote:

On 15/05/2018 19:37, PeteFJ wrote:
Two years ago we had a new garage door fitted.* The old one was very
rusty and at 20 years old, coming to the end of its life.* We live in
Cornwall and the sea is only 6 miles away which is also the direction of
the prevailing wind.

The new door is starting to show rust spots over the its surface and in
the top and bottom corners.

Whats the best way of treating the rust in order to increase its lifespan?

petefj

Sorry folks. The garage door is plastic coated steel, about two years old.
petefj

Not been using an angle grinder nearby have you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That depends on whether the places where one sees rust are friction points
when opening or closing said door. Without an understanding of the
mechanism, it is almost impossible to know. Personally, I'd be looking at
the mechanism as well for hidden problems that might be more than of
cosmetic annoyance. The plastic coated untreated steel is notorious for
getting cracks, the water gets in and the coating starts to debond and fall
off. One often needs to get back to a good bond and treat it with some kind
of zinc based paint then paint the whole thing.
However ones rust starts as on cars it can be only when the paint blisters
somewhere and the rust comes through, that you know about it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...