Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Villery & Bosche toilet repair rather than replace

Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but
what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have
cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg

Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?

I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q, but
then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?

Miscellanea have a series of greenhouses stuffed full of old bathroom bits:
https://brokenbog.com/

Worth asking if they can help.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 19:00:23 on Fri,
11 May 2018, Theo remarked:

Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?

Miscellanea have a series of greenhouses stuffed full of old bathroom bits:
https://brokenbog.com/

Worth asking if they can help.

Thanks for the link.

But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2018 11:05, Roland Perry wrote:

But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

With a design such as the one you have surely any close look alike would
not look out of place. Others would notice that it's not original only
if they had an intimate knowledge if the white porcelain market or if
you told them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a
plain white toilet.

Theo
(trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:22:57 on Sat, 12
May 2018, alan_m remarked:

But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at
around £250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact
match with the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But
a plain white toilet is a plain white toilet!

With a design such as the one you have surely any close look alike
would not look out of place. Others would notice that it's not original
only if they had an intimate knowledge if the white porcelain market or
if you told them.

I agree, but the cistern would have to physically fit well enough, even
if from a cheaper brand. As this one (and its pedestal obviously) is
20yrs old, it may or may not.

I do hope to fix it without having to re-plumb either the pedestal, or
just as importantly where the cold water feed emerges perpendicularly
out of the wall, via a cutout in the back wall of the cistern. And not
through the side or bottom of the tank.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:44:59 on Sat,
12 May 2018, Theo remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a
plain white toilet.

Theo
(trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

The two things which need to "fit" are where the water feed enters the
rear of the cistern, and the soil pipe exits the pan. The latter fit is
probably easier to source than the former, but a whole new unit needs
both, of course.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:40:03 on
Sat, 12 May 2018, Martin remarked:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 11:59:32 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:44:59 on Sat,
12 May 2018, Theo remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a
plain white toilet.

Theo
(trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

The two things which need to "fit" are where the water feed enters the
rear of the cistern, and the soil pipe exits the pan. The latter fit is
probably easier to source than the former, but a whole new unit needs
both, of course.

Aren't they made to a standard? We had no problems replacing both our toilets
more than 30 years after they were first installed.

Where the water goes into the cistern appears to vary quite a lot.
External pipework is a lot easier to adapt than ones coming out of the
wall.

Hopefully the "close coupling" is fairly standard, but a feature of this
model is a crescent-shaped lip in the top of the pan just behind the
hinges, which will constrain the dimension of the bottom of the cistern.

Rather than like this one where it's essentially a flat shelf:

https://www.yourhomemagazine.co.uk/s...ace-a-close-co
upled-cistern-step2.jpg?

And like that one, there's a significant gap between the hinges and the
cistern. Most modern designs are much closer. If this means the pan
itself is closer to the wall, it might not marry up with the soilpipe
properly if replacing the whole unit.

I'm going to need to go to B&Q with a measuring stick!

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk...arts-209-c.asp

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is £200 for just the two
bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/05/18 11:44, Theo wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a
plain white toilet.

Theo
(trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

or even Ideal Standard

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2018 16:42, Roland Perry wrote:
Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but
what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have
cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg

Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?

I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q, but
then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.

You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are excellent,
plus they will correspond in English.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 10:40:52 on Sun, 13
May 2018, remarked:
Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but
what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have
cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg
Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic
on
their own, or a plausible compatible?
I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q,
but
then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.

You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are excellent,
plus they will correspond in English.

It looks like they are selling mainly new complete units (and not many
of them WCs), not spares for 20yr old ones. But thanks for the link.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2018 15:10, Roland Perry wrote:

The two things which need to "fit" are where the water feed enters the
rear of the cistern, and the soil pipe exits the pan. The latter fit is
probably easier to source than the former, but a whole new unit needs
both, of course.

Aren't they made to a standard? We had no problems replacing both our
toilets
more than 30 years after they were first installed.

Where the water goes into the cistern appears to vary quite a lot.
External pipework is a lot easier to adapt than ones coming out of the
wall.

IME most these days will expect the feed to enter from the underside of
the cistern...

If yours comes out of the wall somewhere in the back of the cistern that
may prove more tricky - depends on how high up it is.

(moving it down, is possible obviously, but slightly more work).

Hopefully the "close coupling" is fairly standard, but a feature of this
model is a crescent-shaped lip in the top of the pan just behind the
hinges, which will constrain the dimension of the bottom of the cistern.

In many cases you may be able to, but its not a safe assumption that you
can in all cases - offsets will vary as will the mating surfaces.

Rather than like this one where it's essentially a flat shelf:

https://www.yourhomemagazine.co.uk/s...ace-a-close-co
upled-cistern-step2.jpg?

And like that one, there's a significant gap between the hinges and the
cistern. Most modern designs are much closer. If this means the pan
itself is closer to the wall, it might not marry up with the soilpipe
properly if replacing the whole unit.

That's usually less of a problem since there are a wide variety of WC
connectors available that have slight offsets, or bends, or flexible or
hinged bits etc. You can normally find something that will get the two
to mate ok.

I'm going to need to go to B&Q with a measuring stick!

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk...arts-209-c.asp

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is £200 for just the two
bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place. If you want a
compatible match you may have to be prepared to pay top money, or just
swap the pan as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 11:40, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:40:52 on Sun, 13
May 2018, remarked:
Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but
what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have
cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg
Â*Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?
Â*I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q, but
then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.

You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are
excellent, plus they will correspond in English.

It looks like they are selling mainly new complete units (and not many
of them WCs), not spares for 20yr old ones. But thanks for the link.

Too many years ago for me to remember where, but my insurance company
put me in touch with a company in Birmingham to source replacement parts
for an old, discontinued bathroom suite.

The insurance company were also going to pay for fitting, but I said I'd
do that myself. They then actually offered to pay me for doing it, but
only at minimum wage. I said not to bother. I later found that they
didn't charge many the excess. My premium didn't seem to change either.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 14:02, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

That should have been "didn't charge me the excess"

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
13:18:42 on Sun, 13 May 2018, John Rumm
remarked:
On 12/05/2018 15:10, Roland Perry wrote:

The two things which need to "fit" are where the water feed enters the
rear of the cistern, and the soil pipe exits the pan. The latter fit is
probably easier to source than the former, but a whole new unit needs
both, of course.

Aren't they made to a standard? We had no problems replacing both
our toilets more than 30 years after they were first installed.

Where the water goes into the cistern appears to vary quite a lot.
External pipework is a lot easier to adapt than ones coming out of the
wall.

IME most these days will expect the feed to enter from the underside of
the cistern...

Yes, that's where they were on earlier houses, but it results in exposed
pipework which the builder here was trying hard to avoid.

If yours comes out of the wall somewhere in the back of the cistern
that may prove more tricky - depends on how high up it is.

It's right at the top of the cistern. The pipe then turns 90degrees and
runs horizontally across the back of the cistern and straight into the
top of the float-valve gubbins.

(moving it down, is possible obviously, but slightly more work).

It'd mean taking off tiles and all sorts of other stuff.

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk...arts-209-c.asp

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is £200 for just the two
bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place. If you want a
compatible match you may have to be prepared to pay top money, or just
swap the pan as well.

I'm not that much against replacing the pan (and thus having a slightly
odd one), but I need to make sure its cistern has the rear-feed.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:11:10 on
Sun, 13 May 2018, Martin remarked:
On Sun, 13 May 2018 10:40:52 +0100, wrote:

On 11/05/2018 16:42, Roland Perry wrote:
Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but
what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have
cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg

Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on
their own, or a plausible compatible?

I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q, but
then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.

You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are excellent,
plus they will correspond in English.

Thanks for that.

WCs https://www.megabad.com/bad-keramik-...eramik/wc.html

The whole thing
https://www.megabad.com/hersteller-m...ramik-classic-
100-a-327949.htm

That's remarkably similar (but not how the whole range only has two such
models; I can't work out why the other so much more expensive).

Off to take measurements... but it doesn't look like that one has the
rear water feed.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:27:11 on Sun, 13 May
2018, Roland Perry remarked:
[...]

While I'm pretty confident the measurements for the pan are the same,
the cistern is completely different. Mine is shorter, fatter, and tapers
towards the back (to 310 vs 364mm) rather than rectangular with a
slightly bowed front.

See my earlier link:

https://www.bathroomstudio.com/image.../villeroy_boch
_omnia_classic_replacement_toilet_seat_1.500.jpg

But that gives me more confidence the Omnia Classic (rather than Classic
100) is the model I'm looking for.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 18:33, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 11:45:03 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around
£250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with
the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white
toilet is a plain white toilet!

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a
plain white toilet.

Theo
(trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

And failing to resist ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 14:21, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Diamond blade on a multimaster will let you slot tiles in situ... If the
cut is behind the cistern when its reinstalled you would not even see it.

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk...arts-209-c.asp

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is £200 for just the two
bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place. If you want a
compatible match you may have to be prepared to pay top money, or just
swap the pan as well.

I'm not that much against replacing the pan (and thus having a slightly
odd one), but I need to make sure its cistern has the rear-feed.

I suppose you could look at the "build in" cisterns - they are usually
flexible with piping directions etc. However you would then need to make
a tiled box to house it (and presumably then be searching for matching
tiles made from unobtanium!) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
00:28:28 on Tue, 15 May 2018, John Rumm
remarked:
[...]

I've done that before, but it would require cutting a large enough
"chase" in the tiles+plaster+breezeblock to be able to work on the feed
pipe (which comes up from the floor before turning 90-degrees towards
the cistern) and either lengthen or shorten it as required.

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk...arts-209-c.asp

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is £200 for just the two
bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place. If you want a
compatible match you may have to be prepared to pay top money, or just
swap the pan as well.

I'm not that much against replacing the pan (and thus having a slightly
odd one), but I need to make sure its cistern has the rear-feed.

I suppose you could look at the "build in" cisterns - they are usually
flexible with piping directions etc. However you would then need to
make a tiled box to house it (and presumably then be searching for
matching tiles made from unobtanium!) ;-)

Due to earlier remodelling elsewhere in the room, I have lots of spare
tiles But building and tiling such a box is disproportionately
effortsome for this ostensibly simple repair project.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:01:29 on Sun, 13
May 2018, remarked:
[...]

If "they" are Megabad, it's very unlikely they have 20yr old spares
(other than, like bathroomstudio, new seats which is a foreseeable
ongoing requirement). And the cost (with carriage) for a cistern and lid
will be prohibitive.

Yesterday I called brokenbog, and they didn't sound very thrilled. Said
they didn't have much V&B, but took the details and said they would call
me back. Which they haven't, yet. I know someone who will be in their
area tomorrow and could conceivably pick something up, but I'm not that
hopeful.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 12:58:26 on
Thu, 17 May 2018, Martin remarked:

They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email.

If "they" are Megabad, it's very unlikely they have 20yr old spares
(other than, like bathroomstudio, new seats which is a foreseeable
ongoing requirement). And the cost (with carriage) for a cistern and lid
will be prohibitive.

"I'd suggest sending them

Still not sure who "them" is.

or V&B an email." Did you send one to V&B?

Do they take enquiries from the public?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2018 13:59, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:58:26 on
Thu, 17 May 2018, Martin remarked:

They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email.

If "they" are Megabad, it's very unlikely they have 20yr old spares
(other than, like bathroomstudio, new seats which is a foreseeable
ongoing requirement). And the cost (with carriage) for a cistern and lid
will be prohibitive.

"I'd suggest sending them

Still not sure who "them" is.

Here's the earlier conversation, with a couple of bits omitted:
"You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are excellent,
plus they will correspond in English."
"Thanks for that"
"They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email."

Did you send one to V&B?

Do they take enquiries from the public?

The easiest way to find out is to ask them
https://www.villeroyboch-group.com/e...s-service.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:47:05 on Sat, 19
May 2018, remarked:
On 17/05/2018 13:59, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:58:26
on Thu, 17 May 2018, Martin remarked:

They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email.

If "they" are Megabad, it's very unlikely they have 20yr old spares
(other than, like bathroomstudio, new seats which is a foreseeable
ongoing requirement). And the cost (with carriage) for a cistern and lid
will be prohibitive.

"I'd suggest sending them

Still not sure who "them" is.

Here's the earlier conversation, with a couple of bits omitted:
"You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible
price) from
www.megabad.com ... their prices and service are excellent,
plus they will correspond in English."
"Thanks for that"
"They are very helpful so I'd suggest sending them or V&B an email."

OK. In any event I think the kinds of prices on their (Megabad) website,
plus shipping, will be prohibitive.

Did you send one to V&B?

Do they take enquiries from the public?

The easiest way to find out is to ask them
https://www.villeroyboch-group.com/e...s-service.html

I'll let you know how I get on.

ps Why do they need my date of birth, why is their country-list not in
alphabetical order, and why is their form asking for non-GDPR compliant
consent?

Later...

Four attempts to eventually get past their "I am not a robot" test, and
then:

"Oops, an error occurred! Code: 20180519160225f1e6b414"

So that's a bust.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/18 15:06, Roland Perry wrote:
I'll let you know how I get on.

ps Why do they need my date of birth, why is their country-list not in
alphabetical order, and why is their form asking for non-GDPR compliant
consent?

Later...

Four attempts to eventually get past their "I am not a robot" test, and
then:

"Oops, an error occurred! Code: 20180519160225f1e6b414"

So that's a bust.

No. thats modern software authors.

Having spent the last 5 hours trying to get thunderbird to download mail
from gmail account via POP3.

Imap took 30 seconds.

Google are complete Cnuts.

too dark to read.