Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tip of the day

I have a set of 2 in 1 aluminum step-ladder/ladder which I'm currently
using while refurbishing my stair well and hall way. The ladder is
topped off with two black rubber(?) bumpers designed to protect the
surface on which it is resting. Unfortunately the rubber seems to act
as a paint softener when rested, even lightly rested, against any
painted surface of emulsion walls or water based paint on woodwork. It
doesn't matter if the paint has been applied days or years before. It
leaves a black mark which is firmly embedded in the painted surface and
cannot be removed with vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth with detergent
or de-greaser.

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie them
over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

The ladder is around 15 years old and the bumpers still feel reasonably
hard and not sticky but I assume that something is leaching out of them
that quickly attacks some paints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 12:00, alan_m wrote:

I have a set of 2 in 1 aluminum step-ladder/ladder which I'm currently
using while refurbishing my stair well and hall way. The ladder is
topped off with two black rubber(?) bumpers designed to protect the
surface on which it is resting.Â* Unfortunately the rubber seems to act
as a paint softener when rested, even lightly rested, against any
painted surface of emulsion walls or water based paint on woodwork.Â* It
doesn't matter if the paint has been applied days or years before. It
leaves a black mark which is firmly embedded in the painted surface and
cannot be removed with vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth with detergent
or de-greaser.

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie them
over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

The ladder is around 15 years old and the bumpers still feel reasonably
hard and not stickyÂ* but I assume that something is leaching out of them
that quickly attacks some paints.

I use a pair of cheap gardening gloves with leather fingers and backs,
slipped over the ladder uprights.

I also have a special pair of mittens than have some sort of sticky
plastic over the palms that are intended for handling panes of glass.
These are handy for slipping over the tops of a ladder to protect
decorations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie
them over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

Alan, I cannot answer the 'why' but can say mine do exactly the same,
and I love your brilliant solution.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 12:00, alan_m wrote:

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie them
over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

I use oven gloves from the kitchen - the double ones so if one end comes
off in transit it can't get left behind. I'm too mean liberate the
latest silicon oven gloves (£21.99 from Lakeland and still going strong)
but I'm hopeful they'll be even better i.d.c.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew writes:
[...]

Pipe insulation offcuts for thick pipe here...

A step ladder which I sometimes use folded against a wall has
bubblewrap around the top for the same reason.

--
Andrew Gabriel