Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default tip of the day

On 08/05/2018 12:00, alan_m wrote:

I have a set of 2 in 1 aluminum step-ladder/ladder which I'm currently
using while refurbishing my stair well and hall way. The ladder is
topped off with two black rubber(?) bumpers designed to protect the
surface on which it is resting.Â* Unfortunately the rubber seems to act
as a paint softener when rested, even lightly rested, against any
painted surface of emulsion walls or water based paint on woodwork.Â* It
doesn't matter if the paint has been applied days or years before. It
leaves a black mark which is firmly embedded in the painted surface and
cannot be removed with vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth with detergent
or de-greaser.

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie them
over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

The ladder is around 15 years old and the bumpers still feel reasonably
hard and not stickyÂ* but I assume that something is leaching out of them
that quickly attacks some paints.

I use a pair of cheap gardening gloves with leather fingers and backs,
slipped over the ladder uprights.

I also have a special pair of mittens than have some sort of sticky
plastic over the palms that are intended for handling panes of glass.
These are handy for slipping over the tops of a ladder to protect
decorations.