Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Morris battery. Again.

On Friday, 11 May 2018 15:04:05 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/05/2018 09:36, Marland wrote:

Hornby originally used a much higher voltage.

http://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/i...,_110V_(Hornby)

"The first version of the Hornby Metropolitan loco had an additional
level of realism in that - just like the real thing - it seemed to offer
the possibility of accidentally electrocuting yourself if you touched
the rails. The "HV" ("High Voltage") model's motor ran off one hundred
and ten Volts AC current, which was obtained from the 240V mains power
by passing the power through a lightbulb before it passed through the
speed controller and reached the rails."

Can't see the lightbulb idea working very well. It certainly wouldn't
produce a regulated 110V supply.

Bill

it would give 240v any time the train wasn't sat on the track!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 May 2018 15:08:39 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/05/2018 14:24, tabbypurr wrote:

We didn't all survive.

Good thing too. The problem nowadays is that the dim-witted are
protected from their own stupidity, so they go on to breed. Since
intelligence is largely inherited this is preventing the forward
progress of the species.

Bill

Today's conditions do largely stop the weeding out of the gene pool, though I doubt anyone involved would see that as a positive thing. All kids do stupid things, it doesn't make everyone stupid adults though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2018 14:40:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2018 11:11:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Not that I think turning the engine around had any effect on the
battery position as such - the exhaust manifold was at the front
(then at the back), which didn't change the distance to the battery.

I'm trying to remember my many Minis owned a long time ago, but I'd
guess if you could have located the battery at the front, it would
have been where the Minor one is - just below the windscreen. And I
don't think there was room given the carb and filter are there.

See the picture at the link I posted. It was under the bonnet, on the
opposite side to the fan.

Ah - just looked at it. However it does beg the question if the engine
end plate and clutch cover etc with the new transfer gears had the same
sort of space available. I'd have thought boot space on such a small
cheap car more important than weight distribution for handling.

There was only one extra gear, in a vertical plane, so I don't think it
made a lot of difference. The battery was still under the bonnet after
the engine reversal - I just don't have a picture of it. See my earlier
quote from one of the decision makers - he was really quite worried about
the rear wheel lockup problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 11/05/2018 12:09, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

If the teacher felt that they were being cheeky (what he called
'insubordinate') he would generally deal with them appropriately.

Appropriate is subjective.* I had teachers that yelled, teachers that
struck with metre sticks, and one who regretted yelling when a boy
punched him in the stomach sending him sprawling across the floor.

I used to find assembly amusing. First we would be told about
Christian forgiveness, then the names of those who must report to the
headmaster's office would be read out. I never imagined that they would
be there so he could forgive them...

My life was changed for ever one day in 1964. I wanted to leave school
and go to a tech college, in order to eventually get a job in
electronics or broadcast. In order to do this I needed documentation
from the school head. I knew he would be displeased because if I left it
would be one less in the GCE class, of which he was very proud. I
knocked and waited, but there was no reply. Then from within I heard the
sounds of an almighty beating. The repeated swish-crack of the Head's
notorious cane; shrieks of pain, sobs, pleas for mercy. My nerve was
gone and I slunk away. I never returned to that door. I didn't transfer
to the tech. I stayed on at school, and eventually became a teacher. Had
I approached the Head's door at any other time I would had had a
different life thereafter.

Bill

We had a hard barsteward as a head teacher he was three miles high and
around two wide any implement was used to wallop you with, being sent to
stand outside his door was not the place to be. If that wasn't bad
enough he smoked like a blast furnace and the stench in there was enough
to gas you as well.

BUT..

We learnt to behave and not to repeat our misdemeanours thats one good
thing!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
So clearly the battery *was* originally in the front. This is also shown
by an early photograph of the engine compartment, which shows the
battery (note that this particular version has the engine oriented the
other way round - later changed due to carburettor icing).

It was a major engineering job to turn the engine round, involving adding
transfer gears. And situating the battery right above the exhaust manifold
would have been a recipe for disaster.

Yes remember this now the mini vans i was rather fond of used the have
the exhaust descend down the back of the block at the rear. There was a
simple stabiliser bar that had a couple of rubber bushes therein that
used to deteriorate so that should you drop the clutch or be less so
with it the engine would jerk fore and aft and snap the clamp joint
and emit exhaust fumes and be rather loud about it very poor bit of
design that

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/05/2018 09:36, Marland wrote:

Hornby originally used a much higher voltage.

http://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/i...,_110V_(Hornby)

"The first version of the Hornby Metropolitan loco had an additional
level of realism in that - just like the real thing - it seemed to offer
the possibility of accidentally electrocuting yourself if you touched
the rails. The "HV" ("High Voltage") model's motor ran off one hundred
and ten Volts AC current, which was obtained from the 240V mains power
by passing the power through a lightbulb before it passed through the
speed controller and reached the rails."

Can't see the lightbulb idea working very well. It certainly wouldn't
produce a regulated 110V supply.

Bill

Dont think regulation needed to be too accurate ,as you will know at that
stage the voltage and type of current
varied widely around the country.
The resistance box was supplied without a lamp as the intention was you
installed one that was for the voltage in your area, the lamps should have
been carbon. filament.

Hornby were not alone, this article describes the very similar system by
Marklin at the same period.
https://marklinstop.com/2015/07/220-...ger-to-safety/

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2018 18:07:54 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

[...]

So you're not scarred for life as the modern-day moaners say happens with corporal punishment?
You mean to say he hasn't screwed up your life and filled you with hatred, making you need to see a psychiatrist every week?

--
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
scribeth thus
[...]

No and Nope;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used to like the post office telephones test lamp built with two carbon filament lamps in series across 50 volt battery and earth with the test probe connected to the centre point.
Once handled for a while to gain familiarity they were really useful testing/fault diagnosis tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2018 18:58:34 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

[...]

You have to wonder who these people are that think children must not be hit. Because I know of nobody who was hit as a child who thinks it affected them in any way.

--
Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 14:59:04 +0100, Bill Wright, obviously another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

I used to find assembly amusing...

FLUSH poor senile idiot's lengthy senile drivel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2018 18:58:34 +0100, tony sayer, yet another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding retard, blathered:

So you're not scarred for life as the modern-day moaners say happens with
corporal punishment?
You mean to say he hasn't screwed up your life and filled you with hatred,
making you need to see a psychiatrist every week?

No and Nope;!...

....but STILL always willingly complying with any dumb request, eh,
troll-feeding idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 11 May 2018 15:08:39 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/05/2018 14:24, tabbypurr wrote:

We didn't all survive.

Good thing too. The problem nowadays is that the dim-witted are
protected from their own stupidity, so they go on to breed. Since
intelligence is largely inherited this is preventing the forward
progress of the species.

Today's conditions do largely stop the weeding out of the gene pool,

Nope, most obviously with drug overdose and stabbings.

though I doubt anyone involved would see that as a positive thing. All
kids do stupid things, it doesn't make everyone stupid adults though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2018 11:06:02 -0700 (PDT), Cynic
wrote:

I used to like the post office telephones test lamp built with two carbon filament lamps in series across 50 volt battery and earth with the test probe connected to the centre point.
Once handled for a while to gain familiarity they were really useful testing/fault diagnosis tools.

And that's the thing, sometimes the simplest tools can be really
efficient / effective. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No but only if it was done under the right circumstances and not as a
form of abuse.

Further to the school punishment above one thing you didn't do was
complain to your parents that you had been wacked at school as you'd
only get a reinforcement of what the school did from your old dad!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 May 2018 21:30:41 +0100, tony sayer, yet another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding retard, blathered:

You have to wonder who these people are that think children must not be hit.
Because I know of nobody who was hit as a child who thinks it affected them in
any way.

No but only if it was done under the right circumstances and not as a
form of abuse.

You have to wonder how STUPID (and senile) those people must be that take
really EVERY single idiotic bait this filthy Scottish troll sets out for
them. BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's to stop the little ****s misbehaving.

Further to the school punishment above one thing you didn't do was
complain to your parents that you had been wacked at school as you'd
only get a reinforcement of what the school did from your old dad!...

--
You can lead a man to Congress . . .
.. . . but you can't make him think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May 2018 20:32:54 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

There was a specific decision to move it from the engine compartment, as
discussed here (by a close friend of Issigonis):

"...he (Griffin) made some calculations based on facts about wheelbase,
weight distribution and centre of gravity which proved that really hard
braking could result in locking teh rear wheels and complete loss of
control. This being an incontrovertible argument it led ... to the
transfer of the battery from the engine compartment to the rear luggage
locker, so as to transfer some weight from the front to the rear, and to
the introduction of the rear-brake limiting pressure valve."

So clearly the battery *was* originally in the front. This is also shown
by an early photograph of the engine compartment, which shows the battery
(note that this particular version has the engine oriented the other way
round - later changed due to carburettor icing).

Photograph he

http://www.ancientgeek.org.uk/misc/mini_engine.jpg

I knew about the engine orientation issue but I never knew any photos existed.

Only ever experienced carb icing on one journey long ago on the middle lane of
the M1 on a very humid July day (not on a Mini) It scared the crap out of me.
Gradual loss of power over half a minute and then zero power and a lucky coast
with the clutch depressed to the hard shoulder.

No amount of cranking would make it start. 10 mins later the problem went away
only for it to happen again a few miles up the road when the ice in the carb was
obvious. The cause? Failure of the piping from the hotbox on the manifold
to the air filter inlet tract / mixer flapper so only air at ambient got to the
carb rather than something a little bit warmer. Good for more power but only
with very dry air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:28:26 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

I knew about the engine orientation issue but I never knew any photos
existed.

Look for "The Mini Story" by Laurence Pomeroy. Fascinating.

We would never have had the Mini if a British battleship had got through
near Turkey in 1914...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
Only ever experienced carb icing on one journey long ago on the middle
lane of the M1 on a very humid July day (not on a Mini) It scared the
crap out of me. Gradual loss of power over half a minute and then zero
power and a lucky coast with the clutch depressed to the hard shoulder.

No amount of cranking would make it start. 10 mins later the problem
went away only for it to happen again a few miles up the road when the
ice in the carb was obvious. The cause? Failure of the piping from
the hotbox on the manifold to the air filter inlet tract / mixer flapper
so only air at ambient got to the carb rather than something a little
bit warmer. Good for more power but only with very dry air.

I've never experienced carb icing - but vapour lock on a hot day is far
more common. Carb Rover V-8s were notorious for it.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've never experienced carb icing
but vapour lock on a hot day is far more common.

I thought it was more of an issue for planes (and bikes?) than cars ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've never experienced carb icing but vapour lock on a hot day is far
more common.

I thought it was more of an issue for planes (and bikes?) than cars ...

yes I had a GPZ900r in 1984 which was susceptible to carb icing on a very
very cold day
they brought out a fix with heated inlet manifold

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May 2018 12:14:25 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:28:26 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

I knew about the engine orientation issue but I never knew any photos
existed.

Look for "The Mini Story" by Laurence Pomeroy. Fascinating.

Thanks, hopefully I've now got one slighly battered 54 year old copy reserved
for me.

We would never have had the Mini if a British battleship had got through
near Turkey in 1914...

I presume the story behind that might be revealed in the book

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 11:24:22 AM UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Well, I think the battery itself is OK. Went for a run Thursday
afternoon to charge the battery, then left it until this morning
(Tuesday) with the earth lead disconnected. Reconnected and an easy
start, from what felt like a still fully charged battery.

To recap, if parked with the battery connected, the battery is almost
flat after 48 hours, as in not enough to turn the engine to start. The
courtesy light switch(es) were suspect, but same thing happens with them
disconnected.

I tried Harry's bulb trick again (small MES panel light bulb between
-ve battery terminal and earth strap), and nothing. Tried using an
ammeter. Nothing. Yet current must be flowing somewhere.

Suspect dynamo control box.

I have a morris 1000 workshop manual somewhere. Send me an email and
I'll try and find the relevant info, scan and send it to you.
Bob

irrelevant perhaps but:

We had a Morris 1000 in the 1960s. I remember that the dynamo was not quite able to charge the battery if all the electrical loads were on (heater fan, lights, and windscreen wipers).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2018 11:50:01 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

On 15 May 2018 12:14:25 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:28:26 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

I knew about the engine orientation issue but I never knew any photos
existed.

Look for "The Mini Story" by Laurence Pomeroy. Fascinating.

Thanks, hopefully I've now got one slighly battered 54 year old copy
reserved for me.

I first read it back when it came out - library book. I boight my own
copy a few years ago.

We would never have had the Mini if a British battleship had got through
near Turkey in 1914...

I presume the story behind that might be revealed in the book

Right at the start.

Let me know what you think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 17/05/18 01:54, Bill Wright wrote:
On 16/05/2018 15:49, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes

We had a Morris 1000 in the 1960s.* I remember that the dynamo was
not quite able to charge the battery if all the electrical loads were
on (heater fan, lights, and windscreen wipers).

The dynamo should be able to cope, if in good condition.

It's a close call if you add it all up. There's the ignition and
occasional brake lights and indicators remember. I reckon you could
touch 22A at times.

Even in good nick dynamos of that ear could only just keep up with the
loads..my car fixing period started in the very late 1960s and by then
everyone was retrofitting alternators.

It was the availability of rugged silicon diodes and transistors that
made alternators viable, and signalled the end of the 'control box'

I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

IIRC it was because they could rotate much faster overall. At low engine
revs the dynamo wasn't putting out that much power and it IIRC again
couldn't stand being rotated too fast whereas the simpler mechanical
alternator could which was capable of giving a higher output with low
engine revs such as waiting in traffic..

But IIRC they ususally ran a bit faster on smaller puleys so they worked
better at e.g. idle

Yes!

Bill

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

Because an alternator doesn't have a high current commutator/brushes, it
can be spun much faster. Giving a higher output at lower engine speeds,
with suitable drive gearing. But then petrol engines also have a wider rev
range than once was common.

If you really wanted to use a dynamo these days you could add a fluid
drive to limit the maximum RPM. If you cared that much.

But basically all common alternators had a higher maximum output than the
dynamos that proceeded them. Probably because increased demand from
vehicle electrics arrived at about the same time.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

Cant see how that is relevant given that
they are locked to the engine speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2018 12:26, Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

I'm surprised that some pedant hasn't pointed out that all alternators
/are/ dynamos - which can be AC or DC - it's just a motor trade
convention that the word "dynamo" was kept for the original DC
generators when alternators came in.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2018 12:16:41 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 17/05/2018 12:26, Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
*** The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

I'm surprised that some pedant hasn't pointed out that all alternators
/are/ dynamos - which can be AC or DC - it's just a motor trade
convention that the word "dynamo" was kept for the original DC
generators when alternators came in.

Possibly because the pedants know that a dynamo usually has a commutator and
directly produces something resembling DC, an alternator usually has slip rings
and produces AC that has to be rectified.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The classic bike brigade often fit LED indicators etc in a bid to save as much lecky as possible for the main light.

I wonder if its worth doing something similar with a moggy (me, Id fit an alternator)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
I'm surprised that some pedant hasn't pointed out that all alternators
/are/ dynamos - which can be AC or DC - it's just a motor trade
convention that the word "dynamo" was kept for the original DC
generators when alternators came in.

They are both generators - but the definition of a dynamo is a generator
which produces DC by use of a commutator.

--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
I'm surprised that some pedant hasn't pointed out that all alternators
/are/ dynamos - which can be AC or DC - it's just a motor trade
convention that the word "dynamo" was kept for the original DC
generators when alternators came in.

They are both generators - but the definition of a dynamo is a generator
which produces DC by use of a commutator.

As per definition in the wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo

Yet the 'dynamo' on my old bike produced AC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo

Apparently I should have been calling it a 'magneto'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
scribeth thus
On Fri, 18 May 2018 12:16:41 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 17/05/2018 12:26, Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
*** The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I don't actually understand why alternators were capable of supplying
more current though.

Because they were designed to do so.

Larger dynamos were also fitted to larger cars, etc.

Alternators spun more freely than dynamos.

I'm surprised that some pedant hasn't pointed out that all alternators
/are/ dynamos - which can be AC or DC - it's just a motor trade
convention that the word "dynamo" was kept for the original DC
generators when alternators came in.

Possibly because the pedants know that a dynamo usually has a commutator and
directly produces something resembling DC, an alternator usually has slip rings
and produces AC that has to be rectified.

Never hear then referring to the Alternators in a power station as
Dynamo's!..
--
Tony Sayer

Attn: Abby Brown: Sketchup model of a Morris Dovey sawhorse - "Morris Dovey Sawhorse.skp" yEnc (1/1) William Douglas Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 15th 10 09:05 PM
PING Morris - again J T Woodworking 0 April 21st 07 06:09 AM
FSBO: Townhouse in Morris Plains, NJ [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 14th 05 02:21 PM
Morris Chair max Woodworking 9 February 11th 05 11:31 PM
Morris chest of drawers..worth anything? T Woodworking 2 February 8th 05 08:38 PM