Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Aerial in Loft

I'm planning to put an aerial in a loft, slate tiled roof. The signal is
pretty good where I am, and I can get all channels at the top of the
house using a cheap internal aerial. Downstairs is less reliable.

Thinking of one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-t...-element/30515

and cable, which will run externally from the eaves down a wall:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-nx...5m-black/8809t

Are they decent choices for this installation?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 06:52, RJH wrote:
I'm planning to put an aerial in a loft, slate tiled roof. The signal is
pretty good where I am, andÂ* I can get all channels at the top of the
house using a cheap internal aerial. Downstairs is less reliable.

Thinking of one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-t...-element/30515

Can you physically get something that large that in the loft without the
aerial hitting some obstruction and being in the optimum location?.

If you can get all channels with a "cheap internal aerial" consider a
short log periodic for the loft which can be installed with minimal
space available.

Example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raptor-LTE-...VZA9FX8BCAV0PJ
Not necessarily best price or make.

and cable, which will run externally from the eaves down a wall:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-nx...5m-black/8809t

Nexans data sheet with zero specifications list this cable as "INDOOR
CABLE"

Look at the PF100 on screwfix site or go for Webro WF100.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try these people, plenty of good advice and reasonable prices.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/18 06:52, RJH wrote:
I'm planning to put an aerial in a loft, slate tiled roof. The signal is
pretty good where I am, andÂ* I can get all channels at the top of the
house using a cheap internal aerial. Downstairs is less reliable.

Thinking of one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-t...-element/30515

and cable, which will run externally from the eaves down a wall:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-nx...5m-black/8809t

Are they decent choices for this installation?

Should be fine.

I ended up with a log periodic because IIRC it was a tad smaller and
Sudbury had then a pretty broad range of frequencies in use. I think
today that reallocation means that is no longer the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 08:12, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try these people, plenty of good advice and reasonable prices.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Clarke
scribeth thus
On 08/05/2018 08:12, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try these people, plenty of good advice and reasonable prices.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

2+ if required! Very knowledgeable lot them
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

2+ if required! Very knowledgeable lot them

They even seem to have mended the website so text doesn't wrap horridly
with extra scroll bars where paragraphs sit beside images :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 10:56, Andy Burns wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

2+ if required! Very knowledgeable lot them

They even seem to have mended the website so text doesn't wrap horridly
with extra scroll bars where paragraphs sit beside images :-)

They don't have a very high opinion of bacofoil aeriels like the
ones flogged by Labgear.

You might be better off with a log-periodic aerial if you are
within 20 miles or so of the xmitter. It is less bulky, without
the massive reflector.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 10:19, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mike Clarke
scribeth thus
On 08/05/2018 08:12, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try these people, plenty of good advice and reasonable prices.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

2+ if required! Very knowledgeable lot them

Many thanks - will do. They've got a loft kit - and they're just up the
road from me.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2018 15:33, RJH wrote:
On 08/05/2018 10:19, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mike Clarke
scribeth thus
On 08/05/2018 08:12, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try these people, plenty of good advice and reasonable prices.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

+1

2+ if required! Very knowledgeable lot them

Many thanks - will do. They've got a loft kit - and they're just up the
road from me.

If you go for a log periodic some come pre-wired (with a short bit of
cable) and terminate in a F plug. Otherwise the wire runs up the array
boom and the connections are under the plastic cover at the opposite end
to the mounting pole. You may need to buy some F plugs while purchasing
the aerial/cable
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/wiringup...nectorWiringUp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/18 06:52, RJH wrote:
I'm planning to put an aerial in a loft, slate tiled roof. The signal
is pretty good where I am, andÂ* I can get all channels at the top of
the house using a cheap internal aerial. Downstairs is less reliable.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf

I suggest you use a log periodic.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/8/2018 6:52 AM, RJH wrote:
I'm planning to put an aerial in a loft, slate tiled roof. The signal is
pretty good where I am, andÂ* I can get all channels at the top of the
house using a cheap internal aerial. Downstairs is less reliable.

Thinking of one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-t...-element/30515

and cable, which will run externally from the eaves down a wall:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-nx...5m-black/8809t

Are they decent choices for this installation?

just as well they are digital antennas ....r

--
Living the post amateur radio nightmare ...