Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage door openers, manual release mechanisms...

How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2018 10:58, Jim K wrote:
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

They are usually a pull cord which disengages the electric opening
mechanism but are normally inside the garage for obvious security reasons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K submitted this idea :
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

It depends upon the type of door, but...

My electric roller shutter type, has a loop at one end of the roll,
into which a crank handle can be hook to manually wind it open or
closed. I have that door, plus a small side door and a third slightly
larger at the rear, so no need to be able to wind the roller from
outside. Where the roller is the only door, they do an extra kit, which
takes the winding mechanism through a wall, so a crank handle can be
used from outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tufnell Park wrote:

On 06/05/2018 10:58, Jim K wrote:
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

They are usually a pull cord which disengages the electric opening
mechanism but are normally inside the garage for obvious security reasons.

But with an up-and-over door, you can damage yourself trying to tug them
open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Really? How come you do not have a door, I've yet to see one without one,
its surely a safety thing if nothing else.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which was my point exactly. I'd suggest you need a door in your garage, was
this a self assembly one, maybe they forgot to send you the side with a door
in it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tufnell Park" wrote in message
news
On 06/05/2018 10:58, Jim K wrote:
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

They are usually a pull cord which disengages the electric opening
mechanism but are normally inside the garage for obvious security reasons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes really ??

What about those delightful local authority blocks of garages
Brian? Do they all have a pedestrian door?

And no, mine's not one of those, mine's an ancient conversion of
old farm buildings, with no pedestrian door hence the
question...

"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Really? How come you do not have a door, I've yet to see one without one,
its surely a safety thing if nothing else.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

--
Jim K

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Yes really ??

What about those delightful local authority blocks of garages
Brian? Do they all have a pedestrian door?

And no, mine's not one of those, mine's an ancient conversion of
old farm buildings, with no pedestrian door hence the
question...

Quite common, the garages under a flat we own in Barnet have only the
up-and-over door, no other means of access. All my garages (yes, I
have a ridiculous number of them) that I've fitted automatic openers
to have alternative access though. The instructions do warn of the
problem if you don't!

I think it's *possible* to have some means of access that doesn't
require power but it will reduce the security somewhat. It depends
really if the opener is just a convenience for when you arrive with
the car and nothing of value is kept in the garage then some sort of
manual access would be OK.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Jim K submitted this idea :
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

It depends upon the type of door, but...

My electric roller shutter type, has a loop at one end of the roll,
into which a crank handle can be hook to manually wind it open or
closed. I have that door, plus a small side door and a third slightly
larger at the rear, so no need to be able to wind the roller from
outside. Where the roller is the only door, they do an extra kit, which
takes the winding mechanism through a wall, so a crank handle can be
used from outside.

That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access. Very low
geared so it only opens slowly.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb formulated on Sunday :
That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access. Very low
geared so it only opens slowly.

Mine is painfully slow to hand crank too, but fine when powered. I only
found out how slow when I tried it out of curiosity, luckily I have
never had a failure. I suppose if I lost power often, I would either
make a battery backup system (it is 24v DC), or make an attachment to
fit my battery drill to crank it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access. Very
low geared so it only opens slowly.

Been there, done that at son's house, when taking delivery of some
building materials for him.

I wound and wound, sweat dripping, while the driver looked more and more
irate. I got it to where we could poke stuff under the door. He went and
I had to wind it down.
It's a large double garage.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 May 2018 16:31:18 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Tim Lamb formulated on Sunday :
That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access.
Very low geared so it only opens slowly.

Mine is painfully slow to hand crank too, but fine when powered. I
only found out how slow when I tried it out of curiosity, luckily I
have never had a failure. I suppose if I lost power often, I would
either make a battery backup system (it is 24v DC), or make an
attachment to fit my battery drill to crank it.

I've cranked them with an Allen key in a cordless drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve
writes
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Tim Lamb formulated on Sunday :
That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access.
Very low geared so it only opens slowly.

Mine is painfully slow to hand crank too, but fine when powered. I
only found out how slow when I tried it out of curiosity, luckily I
have never had a failure. I suppose if I lost power often, I would
either make a battery backup system (it is 24v DC), or make an
attachment to fit my battery drill to crank it.

I've cranked them with an Allen key in a cordless drill.

Mine is 6.4mm 1/4"? square section and about 18" long. I suppose they
have to consider cavity wall thickness for built in jobs.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My one has the pull chord inside the garage which disconnects the door from the motor driven thread enabling you to push the door open. If your garage door has one of those locking handles which rotates moving bars out to lock into the frame..... Maybe you could disconnect the bars and the connect the chord to the mechanism that turns. When locked from outside it does nothing. When unlocked from outside and turned it pulls the chord and disconnects the door for you.