Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I didn't want to be a plumber..

So, first morning of the long weekend.

Have you noticed that wet patch says she!

Fortunately near an existing access point in the landing floor. A 15mm
copper pipe with a slight weep although her vanity mirror got lost under
a Gorilla's armpit of pipework. Bathroom soil, shower waste, basin
waste, 6 lots of 22mm pairs... heating, boiler flow/ret. and hot/cold
offtake.
So, through the ceiling then. Nice rectangular cut for easy re-fitting.
Levered it down carefully and got an immediate shower of water, about as
fast as I used to be able to piddle!

Not mains, turned off. Not gravity cold, turned off. Not hot.... oh ****
it must be central heating. But the valve is off, the rad stats should
be closed... oh **** again it must be the bathrooms which are open for
boiler overrun!

Luckily we have buckets and the water was surprisingly clean.

The fault turned out to be a galvanised nail (plasterer) which had just
entered the pipe wall leaving a neat square hole. Nicely sealed for 23
years so why pick today?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 18:58:55 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
So, first morning of the long weekend.
... Nicely sealed for 23 years so why pick today?

Because it's the first morning of the long weekend ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 May 2018 11:14:54 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 18:58:55 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
So, first morning of the long weekend.
... Nicely sealed for 23 years so why pick today?

Because it's the first morning of the long weekend ...

You're getting 'warmer'...

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Well I blame the phase of the moon, it affects the tides so why not over
time pulling and pushing on the different densities of your pipe and nail?

We will never know. Spotted because she was engaged in some stretching
Pilates exercise on the floor. Perhaps we need to explore the trigger
for that activity?
All fixed apart from the decoration and a concern about the floating
debris I saw disappearing into the boiler circuit from the expansion
tank refill.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Well I blame the phase of the moon, it affects the tides so why not over
time pulling and pushing on the different densities of your pipe and nail?

We will never know. Spotted because she was engaged in some stretching
Pilates exercise on the floor. Perhaps we need to explore the trigger
for that activity?
All fixed apart from the decoration and a concern about the floating
debris I saw disappearing into the boiler circuit from the expansion
tank refill.

For completeness, how did you fix the hole?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Well I blame the phase of the moon, it affects the tides so why not over
time pulling and pushing on the different densities of your pipe and nail?

We will never know. Spotted because she was engaged in some stretching
Pilates exercise on the floor. Perhaps we need to explore the trigger
for that activity?
All fixed apart from the decoration and a concern about the floating
debris I saw disappearing into the boiler circuit from the expansion
tank refill.

For completeness, how did you fix the hole?

After the drain down and strategically placed buckets.

The initial assumption was corrosion so I removed a short length of the
offending pipe. Partly because it was tightly fitted against a floor
joist and I could only get in with a Junior hacksaw. Once the pipe was
free to move I got the usual shower of black water. (all this with
mother hen flapping about with sponges trying to protect her recently
decorated wall).
I have plenty of 15mm pipe and Yorkshire fittings from the cottage job
so wire wool, flux and propane burner.

Batten along the floor joist, plywood lap over the ceiling plasterboard
and the cut out section re-fitted with *short* screws!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

Sounds good :-D thanks for sharing.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 May 2018 08:05:16 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

No the plasterer did that.
Brian

Cute! :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2018 18:58, Tim Lamb wrote:
Nicely sealed for 23 years so why pick today?

When I moved my cold tank in the loft in 2008,
32 years after the house was built, I discovered that
at the junction that fed the CH tank, the spur to
the CH tank was only inserted about an eighth of an
inch into the yorkshire fitting (not end feed).

And for 16 years I had been treading on that connector
every time I went into the loft.