Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default I didn't want to be a plumber..

Well I blame the phase of the moon, it affects the tides so why not over
time pulling and pushing on the different densities of your pipe and nail?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
So, first morning of the long weekend.

Have you noticed that wet patch says she!

Fortunately near an existing access point in the landing floor. A 15mm
copper pipe with a slight weep although her vanity mirror got lost under a
Gorilla's armpit of pipework. Bathroom soil, shower waste, basin waste, 6
lots of 22mm pairs... heating, boiler flow/ret. and hot/cold offtake.
So, through the ceiling then. Nice rectangular cut for easy re-fitting.
Levered it down carefully and got an immediate shower of water, about as
fast as I used to be able to piddle!

Not mains, turned off. Not gravity cold, turned off. Not hot.... oh ****
it must be central heating. But the valve is off, the rad stats should be
closed... oh **** again it must be the bathrooms which are open for boiler
overrun!

Luckily we have buckets and the water was surprisingly clean.

The fault turned out to be a galvanised nail (plasterer) which had just
entered the pipe wall leaving a neat square hole. Nicely sealed for 23
years so why pick today?
--
Tim Lamb