Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a water tap

I have a 32mm Alkathene incoming water main, reduced at internal
stopcock to a 22mm copper riser.

This is all inside my (attached) garage - so inside the property.

Thinking of adding a 22mm tap on this copper riser ..... 2 fold use ...
to allow water in the garage when required.
Plus to allow a full flow water feed to be used on a hose (to outside
the house)
I do have a 15m outside tap .... but thinking of a higher flow.

So it is an 'inside tap' not an external tap.

I would put a Tee on the 22mm rise feed this to a 22mm full flow balofix
type isolation valve, then to the 22mm tap.

If it were an external tap then I would fit a double check valve .....
is there any requirement for a check valve on this 'internal' tap.

Obviously you could connect a garden hose to any internal tap - these
would not have a check valve - but as this is slightly different
installation (not a bath or sink) ... just wondering what water by-laws
apply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick pretended :
Obviously you could connect a garden hose to any internal tap - these would
not have a check valve - but as this is slightly different installation (not
a bath or sink) ... just wondering what water by-laws apply.

I would suggest that any tap, usually ones outside the main dwelling,
where there is a possibility that it might be used with a hose, ought
to have a check valve fitted in line with it.

The taps with a threaded outlet, are the more usual type to fit in
these type of location, making it easy to connect a hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2018 11:38, rick wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the law says, but it makes sense to use a double check
valve if there's a possibility that an outside hose will be connected to it.

Is your supply metered and if so, where is the meter? You'll certainly
be in potential trouble if you draw water off *prior* to the meter so
that it doesn't get measured!
--
Cheers,
Roger