Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix a tap to a big barrel (but it's not a 'water butt' tap)?

I have a big barrel that collects rainwater and has a submersible pump
in it to pump the water out when we want to use it.

I'd like to fit a tap to the pump outlet that comes through the side
of the barrel near the top but I can't work out a simple way to plumb
it. The pump outlet (when it gets to the top of the tank) is a 22mm
plastic pipe which runs horizontally to the side of the tank.

Thus I need a tap to mount on the relatively thin side of the barrel
with a 22mm inlet and, preferably a 3/4" BSP on the outside for hose
fittings.

What's the simplest way of doing this?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 12:33:07 UTC+1, wrote:
I have a big barrel that collects rainwater and has a submersible pump
in it to pump the water out when we want to use it.

I'd like to fit a tap to the pump outlet that comes through the side
of the barrel near the top but I can't work out a simple way to plumb
it. The pump outlet (when it gets to the top of the tank) is a 22mm
plastic pipe which runs horizontally to the side of the tank.

Thus I need a tap to mount on the relatively thin side of the barrel
with a 22mm inlet and, preferably a 3/4" BSP on the outside for hose
fittings.

What's the simplest way of doing this?

--
Chris Green
·

You want a bib tap plus a back nut. And a washer.

https://shopping.search.yahoo.com/se...p=yhs-adk_sbnt

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...focus5_em_ cr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

.... but doesn't that just fix the tap onto the barrel, how do I feed
the water from the 22mm pipe into the tap? ... and aren't most/many
of those taper threads on the back of the tap?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 12:18:30 +0100, wrote:

I have a big barrel that collects rainwater and has a submersible pump
in it to pump the water out when we want to use it.

I'd like to fit a tap to the pump outlet that comes through the side
of the barrel near the top but I can't work out a simple way to plumb
it. The pump outlet (when it gets to the top of the tank) is a 22mm
plastic pipe which runs horizontally to the side of the tank.

Thus I need a tap to mount on the relatively thin side of the barrel
with a 22mm inlet and, preferably a 3/4" BSP on the outside for hose
fittings.

What's the simplest way of doing this?

Not answering your query, but from experience with plastic water
butts, fatigue cracks develop around the purpose-made tap attachment
point after a few years. I imagine this would be worse on thin
sections of the wall not intended to have a tap. I would suggest that
you try and reinforce the butt wall in the area you intend to fit the
tap to try and reduce fatigue cracking.

If I could find a way of simply feeding the pipe securely through the
wall of the barrel that would probably be sufficient but the prices
for 22mm straight bulkhead fittings seem exorbitant. About the
cheapest I can find is:-

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Straigh...yk3BoCwS_w_wcB

Almost £25 including carriage.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that I fully understand what it is that you want (too long in
The Malt Shovel Tavern is my excuse), but something like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...nnector/p79127

Or, possibly, an IP66/67 25mm electrical grommety thingy might compress down
enough to do it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

OK then, just feed the pipe through a clearance hole, secure with a
cable tie inside and out, and cover both sides with a fillet of silicone
or mastic. If you think you are going to apply large forces to the tap,
get the type of tap which is designed to be screwed to a wall, make up a
wooden saddle, fix it to the barrel with screws and washers from inside,
and screw the tap to the saddle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

I'm not sure that I fully understand what it is that you want (too long in
The Malt Shovel Tavern is my excuse), but something like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...nnector/p79127

No, that's a tank connector for taking water out of the tank by
gravity, doesn't do what I need at all. I want to connect a pipe
*through* the side of the tank/barrel.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 11:16:07 UTC+1, wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Well use a tank connector or just an ordinary tap connector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 May 2016 18:48:25 +0100, wrote:

PeterC wrote:

I'm not sure that I fully understand what it is that you want (too long in
The Malt Shovel Tavern is my excuse), but something like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...nnector/p79127

No, that's a tank connector for taking water out of the tank by
gravity, doesn't do what I need at all. I want to connect a pipe
*through* the side of the tank/barrel.

OK, so the cable gland method should do it. CPC has a useful filter for
min/max diameters. One of these should seal to the tank and to the pipe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/st...e&pf=111687268
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

I'm not sure that I fully understand what it is that you want (too long in
The Malt Shovel Tavern is my excuse), but something like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...nnector/p79127

No, that's a tank connector for taking water out of the tank by
gravity, doesn't do what I need at all. I want to connect a pipe
*through* the side of the tank/barrel.

OK, so the cable gland method should do it. CPC has a useful filter for
min/max diameters. One of these should seal to the tank and to the pipe:
http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/st...e&pf=111687268

Yes, you're right, a cable gland is a reasonable solution, thanks.

--
Chris Green
·

Water Butt Bill[_18_] UK diy 24 October 31st 13 09:07 PM
Connect 5/16" OD 22LR steel barrel liner to larger OD barrel? [email protected] Metalworking 2 August 11th 11 10:53 PM
water butt tap? Stephen[_6_] UK diy 11 September 11th 09 02:47 PM
water butt plumbing Cuprager UK diy 16 August 14th 06 12:28 AM
Oak barrel as water butt Stephen UK diy 3 July 25th 05 02:22 PM