Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The trouble with being DIY Minded

....is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

And that's just from walking into your own home :-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

To be fair, even with a DIY mindset you often note all these things, and
then just add them to the list of things to do, that never gets done!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, even with a DIY mindset you often note all these things,
and then just add them to the list of things to do, that never gets
done!

grin True! Beyond that, though, I do find that asking here often
helps to solve a problem in direct AND indirect ways. Just the process
of typing a question helps to get my thoughts in order, and sometimes
I'm halfway to the answer even before any responses appear. Similarly,
some responses don't necessarily provide a direct answer, but do steer
the brain in the right direction.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 15:34:46 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.

Or aerial / satellite cables not clipped back properly and just asking
to be ripped out. ;-(

The doors that don't close properly.

Or 'Norman doors'.

The push down taps that need fixing.

Any tap that doesn't work.

The dirty extractor fan louvres.

Any blocked vent.

The groaning car door.

Any un oiled hinge. [1]

The weeds in the block paving.

Any stuff growing in the wrong place.

Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.

Any closure that needs adjusting.

Door closers that don't.

See above.

Lamps that need replacing.

Check.

Overhanging shrubs and trees.

And when 'lifted' done so properly.

Drives that need sweeping

Anywhere that needs sweeping.

Floodlights that dazzle.

Check.

Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

Or satellite dishes ... especially those hanging by one screw or their
cable.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Or, simply don't notice such things as we do (till pointed out to
them) and / or don't have the time / money / opportunity / skills /
equipment / position to do anything about it)?

Like, we have some flashing that has come adrift on our 'rear
addition' but it's right on the top of a flank wall on the road. I'm
not going up there, the guy who built it has moved away and I don't
know any roofer that I trust to do it for me.

Ever since I taught our daughter how to decorate she see's everone's
bad tiling, slipshod wallpapering and slapdash cutting in ... some to
a laughable degree. There is 'the right way' (as in result at least)
and all the other ways.

Ignorance (and poor observation) is bliss? I think it is because then
they 'aren't bovvered' about half the things we are? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] There are times though when some might leave say a gate hinge
un-oiled because it then gives an audible warning of anyone opening
it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

When my wife was giving birth to our eldest son, he was in distress and
she had to have an emergency ceasarean. As they couldn't get the needle
in for a spinal, she had to have a GA, so they threw me out of theatre
and I had to wait in the delivery room.

First I paced for a bit, then made a cup of tea, then sorted out the
power and aerial cabling for the TV and clipped the lid of the
mini-trunking back in place.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...is that you notice things that others should fix.

Any closure that needs adjusting.

Door closers that don't.

See above.

Staying in a cheap hostel in Prague, our room was near the
internal entrance door, which closed noisily all night. Next day
I was quick to find the two adjusters and soon had it working
properly but silently.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:

First I paced for a bit, then made a cup of tea, then sorted out the
power and aerial cabling for the TV and clipped the lid of the
mini-trunking back in place.

I tend to re-tune the waiting room TV if it can be done without the
remote. It annoys me when the tuning is wrong because in two of the six
hospitals I've been in since Christmas the TV distribution was done by
me and is now maintained by Paul.

Talking about Paul, when he and his twin sister were about to be born
there was some concern about the table that Hil was on, because one of
the legs was very loose. We'd arrived in the van so I went out and
grabbed a few tools and fixed it. It was surreal to be tightening the
bolts on a table leg as my wife was starting to eject my daughter just
above my head.

When I was in the operating theatre about to be made unconscious so Mr
Helm could rebuild my hand the anesthetist (a short plump Chinese lady)
came through the door. The auto door closer broke and a piece fell,
rolled down her ample bosom, and disappeared under an instrument
trolley. The door wouldn't stay shut because of the air cond and they
said they couldn't operate until it was because of germs or something,
so I said, "Get the bolt! It's gone under there!" A lanky lad retrieved
it and with me telling him how he managed to reach up and slot it into
place. The anesthetist said to me, "I'm going to put you to sleep now. I
hope we will be able to manage without your advice."

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...is that you notice things that others should fix.

Any closure that needs adjusting.

Door closers that don't.

See above.

Staying in a cheap hostel in Prague, our room was near the
internal entrance door, which closed noisily all night. Next day
I was quick to find the two adjusters and soon had it working
properly but silently.

I was at a clients the other day, popped to the loo and noticed the loo
roll holder flopping all about the place. Since I had my mini SA knife
in my pocket I fixed it. Makes me wonder if someone will be sitting
there later, thinking, oh look - someone got that fixed!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Or they have better things to do with their time and you have OCD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote

Ever since I taught our daughter how to decorate she see's everone's
bad tiling, slipshod wallpapering and slapdash cutting in ... some to
a laughable degree. There is 'the right way' (as in result at least)
and all the other ways.

Ever since I built my own house from scratch on a bare block
of land I notice bad brickwork on TV series etc. You poms have
some of the worst brickwork I have ever seen, you don't see
anything like such bad walls here for some reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

When my wife was giving birth to our eldest son, he was in distress and
she had to have an emergency ceasarean. As they couldn't get the needle
in for a spinal, she had to have a GA, so they threw me out of theatre
and I had to wait in the delivery room.

First I paced for a bit, then made a cup of tea, then sorted out the
power and aerial cabling for the TV and clipped the lid of the
mini-trunking back in place.

SteveW

Often bad connections on things in hospitals - nurses twist plugs and pull
leads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 16:34:49 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.
People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Stickers on domestic appliances intended for shop display. I don't know why anyone would want a great big sticker on their fridge door. It's not exactly something to boast about having an A rated appliance.

Televisions are the worst, where the sticker is on the actual screen, and people still leave it on.

And I had to spend two minutes at work every morning lining all the mugs on the mug tray with the handles at the same angle.

And station announcements that start as soon as the train enters the platform instead of waiting for it to come to a complete stop and the doors to finish their bleepy-opening cycle before announcing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was at a clients the other day, popped to the loo and noticed the loo
roll holder flopping all about the place. Since I had my mini SA knife
in my pocket I fixed it. Makes me wonder if someone will be sitting
there later, thinking, oh look - someone got that fixed!

I always take a mini- multitool on holiday - and a couple of washers for
the shower hose / head connection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

T i m wrote

Ever since I taught our daughter how to decorate she see's everone's
bad tiling, slipshod wallpapering and slapdash cutting in ... some to
a laughable degree. There is 'the right way' (as in result at least)
and all the other ways.

Ever since I built my own house from scratch on a bare block
of land I notice bad brickwork on TV series etc. You poms have
some of the worst brickwork I have ever seen, you don't see
anything like such bad walls here for some reason.

They're made of tin?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like the stickers thing - at one time it was just mains leads - now all
over the place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn explained on 01/05/2018 :
etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

I tend to notice all of those things, including shops with lights not
working and I have to pinch myself to stop me fixing the issues.

I get lots of 'how do you fix...' type calls wanting free advice, on
all sorts of problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 May 2018 20:42:31 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

snip

The anesthetist said to me, "I'm going to put you to sleep now. I
hope we will be able to manage without your advice."

And not long after being sedated to have the camera stuck where the
sun don't shine and before the guy who was before me had even finished
his cuppa I had walked the diagonal of the hospital grounds and put
the (broken) automatic barrier on the exit back together, as everyone
else was just standing there looking at it (and in my way for getting
out). ;-)

I guess whilst on one hand, those of us who do know how to do some
stuff would know how to do it just as well as those they would call in
to go the same stuff at much greater cost, you can see why they
mightn't let 'anyone' do such things, should it be a poor job, go
wrong and hurt someone else.

Mind you, if it was hospital stuff they would be in the right place.
;-) [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Like my mate in the hospital who bent down to pick something up
close to a curtain and woke up in a hospital bed himself. Apparently
he hit his head on the handle of something behind the curtain and
knocked himself out. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/18 20:42, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Those are truly some excellent yarns Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many people don't even realise a fix is needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 18:13:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Any un oiled hinge. [1]

It's a dammed good excuse though, I've often used it.

I'm suprised there's not a list of good excuses you can use on the DIY wiki, entitled what to tell your partner when you really don't want to do a job.

Cheers, T i m

[1] There are times though when some might leave say a gate hinge
un-oiled because it then gives an audible warning of anyone opening
it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/05/2018 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Before my son chose a university we with a group of other prospective
student families were being shown round the accommodation block but our
guide couldn't unlock a student room door. Another parent had a go and
failed. I then used my credit card to bypass the lock and successfully
open the door. Later on in the tour another parent spoke to me about the
lock incident "I'm a county court judge but really do not want to know
how you learned that trick"

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 21:25:55 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote

Ever since I taught our daughter how to decorate she see's everone's
bad tiling, slipshod wallpapering and slapdash cutting in ... some to
a laughable degree. There is 'the right way' (as in result at least)
and all the other ways.

Ever since I built my own house from scratch on a bare block
of land I notice bad brickwork on TV series etc. You poms have
some of the worst brickwork I have ever seen, you don't see
anything like such bad walls here for some reason.

One reason could be ... how old is your brickwork considering you built it.

My place was built around 1910 I think, I wasn't there at the time.
We alls have a wide range of weather conditions which takes it's toll on buildings and walls.
But we do have building which were erected long before Australia became part of the commonweath so we do have buiding that are much older than buildings in australia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 4:34:49 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

When LCD displays started to become the norm it was obvious that a lot of people just kept their CRT display resolution, so they're running a 1024 x 760 display at 800 x 600 or whatever; so I'd show them the improvement when running at the native resolution and bask in the admiration (apart from the miserable buggers who complained that "everything looks smaller...").

On holiday in Italy one year the sunbeds in the apartment complex had face shades held in place by friction in the bolts; needless to say they were all loose so one chap from the Netherlands was wandering about with an adjustable spanner tightening everything up. "Do you always bring your tools on holiday?" I joked. "Oh yah, you know what this Italian stuff is like" he answered. To be fair, he had driven there so probably had a tool kit with him anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 10:35:04 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 18:13:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Any un oiled hinge. [1]

It's a dammed good excuse though, I've often used it.

I'm suprised there's not a list of good excuses you can use on the DIY wiki, entitled what to tell your partner when you really don't want to do a job.

Write it, we can put it up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 10:59:09 UTC+1, Halmyre wrote:
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 4:34:49 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

...is that you notice things that others should fix.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

I normally adjust the feet correctly, it's easy enough to do. But I've got one appliance where the foot was found rolling about in another room after it went into place, yet it seems to be fine. Don't know how that works, but I'm not arguing with it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

With my integrated W/D, there's room to leave the appliance door open an
inch or so behind the decorative door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2018 10:35, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 18:13:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Any un oiled hinge. [1]

It's a dammed good excuse though, I've often used it.

I'm suprised there's not a list of good excuses you can use on the
DIY wiki, entitled what to tell your partner when you really don't
want to do a job.

What that DIY DIY faq.... if only you had an excuse, you could avoid
writing the list ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 11:20:30 AM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Halmyre wrote:

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

They ARE built in! I hate built-in appliances, extra aggro if, sorry, when they go wrong.

When our dishwasher packed in my wife saw one for £XXX pounds plus £50 installation charge. "I can install that", says I like a fool. "Great", says my wife, promptly buying the model which costs £XXX+50...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 10:35:04 AM UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 18:13:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Any un oiled hinge. [1]

It's a dammed good excuse though, I've often used it.

I'm suprised there's not a list of good excuses you can use on the DIY wiki, entitled what to tell your partner when you really don't want to do a job.

Cheers, T i m

[1] There are times though when some might leave say a gate hinge
un-oiled because it then gives an audible warning of anyone opening
it?

Those tins of paint for the front room are from two different batches, I'd better take them back.

Those are Philips screws and I've only got a Pozidrive screwdriver.

Those are Pozidrive screws and I've only got a Philips screwdriver.

It's too cold to paint the shed.

It's too hot to paint the shed.

It's too wet to paint the shed.

I can't paint the shed, it was creosoted previously.

You can't buy creosote any more.

I'll need to research shed paint on the Internet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 20:57:45 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I was at a clients the other day, popped to the loo and noticed the loo
roll holder flopping all about the place. Since I had my mini SA knife
in my pocket I fixed it. Makes me wonder if someone will be sitting
there later, thinking, oh look - someone got that fixed!

I always take a mini- multitool on holiday -

I generally take my multi tool everywhere (where allowed etc) because
you never know when you might need it.

Like, yesterday daughter was changing the spark-plugs on her motorbike
and they are down a fairly deep hole. I had just popped out after a
shower and only had my joggers on and she asked me for my Leatherman
to help 'rescue' a plug. I think everone who knows me always assumes I
have it on me (because I generally do) when they *need* to use it. ;-)

So, I'm often 'fixing' all sorts of things as I see them, signs
hanging off, trim hanging off plus opening boxes etc etc.

My Leatherman PST II really is now an extension of me and has saved me
loads of time when doing d-i-y because it will cover many of the basic
tools with no issue.

I helped daughter collect a Welsh Dresser from Gumtree the other day
and the top was screwed to the bottom with about 6 Pozidrive screws
(the front ones under little covers). I used the fine screwdriver to
pick the screw covers out and had undone all the screws before the guy
had come back with a screwdriver. ;-)

The Pozi bit on that seems to have a massive range, actually fitting
the tinyest of screw that you typically find on laptops and USB
enclosures up to screws that look way too big and you think the bit
will just float about in (Other makes and tools may exist but I'm not
sure any are as light, compact and versatile as the PST II. Shame they
stopped making them but did just come up with an anniversary / signed
version of the PST for £250!).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thats the way it is, but don't you believe it.
from a song of course.
Actually, I also think that often a person new in an area sees things that
everyone else has forgotten to see. Most of what people see is what they
expect to see, not what is actually there.
Listen to Elton Johns song Grey Seal.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Halmyre wrote:

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to
lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing
machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

Chris

Would never have integrated. Limits the choice - makes maintenance
difficult. You forget which door it is behind.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 11:20:30 AM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

They ARE built in! I hate built-in appliances, extra aggro if, sorry, when they go wrong.

That was my whole point - you pay extra, have a more limited
choice of appliance, have the door alignment hassle you are
currently experiencing, only to be told by the instructions to
leave the door open anyway.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The dirty extractor fan louvres.

At an office I worked in for a short time nearly 20 years ago, the
cleaner looked quite shocked when I asked to to wave her feather
duster over the extractor in the gents. (Probably she knew that I was
only there temporarily.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 01/05/2018 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

That pays my wages :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 21:25:55 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote

Ever since I taught our daughter how to decorate she see's everone's
bad tiling, slipshod wallpapering and slapdash cutting in ... some to
a laughable degree. There is 'the right way' (as in result at least)
and all the other ways.

Ever since I built my own house from scratch on a bare block
of land I notice bad brickwork on TV series etc. You poms have
some of the worst brickwork I have ever seen, you don't see
anything like such bad walls here for some reason.

One reason could be ... how old is your brickwork considering you built
it.

I wasnt talking about my brick work, I was talking about the brick work
I see everywhere. I started noticing the bad examples after I built the
house.

My place was built around 1910 I think, I wasn't there at the time.
We alls have a wide range of weather conditions which takes it's toll on
buildings and walls.

I wasnt talking about its current state, basic stuff like the bricklayer
not bothering to mix up the bricks before laying them so you get
great patches of the wall that are obviously a different batch etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85dvelxyvs...ding1.png?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Halmyre wrote:

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 11:20:30 AM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing
machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so
that the drum can dry out.

They ARE built in! I hate built-in appliances, extra aggro if, sorry, when
they go wrong.

That was my whole point - you pay extra, have a more limited
choice of appliance, have the door alignment hassle you are
currently experiencing, only to be told by the instructions to
leave the door open anyway.

You don't leave the door open all the time,
just long enough to let it dry out properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 15:34:46 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get
pulled off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.

Lamps that need replacing, but you can't get to the spare ones because
there's too much DIY-related stuff in the way ...