Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Dining Room Chair Repair (simple minded)

This was a chair that a tenant broke in two pieces? (hell if I know)
and, since it is cheap (Chinese) furniture in a summer lake house, it
didn't deserved too much time. I stuck the pieces in the back of the
truck a couple of weeks back in AR and finally got around to it in the
shop today.

Sometime quick and dirty does the trick:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...ngChairRepair#

A recent thread mentioned the alignment problems with dowel joinery ...
it really isn't that difficult to do if you're careful about religiously
using reference faces, use dowel pins, and have a flat assembly surface
you can count on ... AAMOF, the few 5/16" dowel holes required in this
were drilled by hand with a cordless Makita drill (the dowel jig I have
was too setup intensive to bother with).

On chairs, dowel joinery is generally where Angels fear to tread, but
this chair now sits perfectly, and squarely, on all four legs ... and
the tenant gets the bill.

Sometimes you get lucky ... I'll know more if/when the emailed invoice
is paid.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Looks good for another 100,000 miles. Hope you collect and charged what
the repair was worth..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2013 7:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

And sometimes it's just gratifying fixing something instead of tossing
it in the never ending abyss of garbage.

--
Jeff
Junior Member

The furniture whether relates to home or shop should be repaired from time to time. The best method is to repair all joints and change the wood which is broken.

shutters London

Last edited by smith46 : May 27th 13 at 09:52 AM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2013 4:56 AM, smith46 wrote:

The furniture whether relates to home or shop should be repaired from
time to time.

Say what??

The best method is to repair all joints and change the
wood which is broken.

The best method is to repair only those joints that need repair and
replace any wood which is broken.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2013 8:06 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/25/2013 4:56 AM, smith46 wrote:

The furniture whether relates to home or shop should be repaired from
time to time.

Say what??

The best method is to repair all joints and change the
wood which is broken.

The best method is to repair only those joints that need repair and
replace any wood which is broken.

Ah come on! Let's fix what ain't broke.