Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default eWoodShop - Dining Room Chair Repair (simple minded)

Swingman wrote:
This was a chair that a tenant broke in two pieces? (hell if I know) and,
since it is cheap (Chinese) furniture in a summer lake house, it didn't
deserved too much time. I stuck the pieces in the back of the truck a
couple of weeks back in AR and finally got around to it in the shop today.

Sometime quick and dirty does the trick:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...ngChairRepair#

A recent thread mentioned the alignment problems with dowel joinery ...
it really isn't that difficult to do if you're careful about religiously
using reference faces, use dowel pins, and have a flat assembly surface
you can count on ... AAMOF, the few 5/16" dowel holes required in this
were drilled by hand with a cordless Makita drill (the dowel jig I have
was too setup intensive to bother with).

On chairs, dowel joinery is generally where Angels fear to tread, but
this chair now sits perfectly, and squarely, on all four legs ... and the
tenant gets the bill.

Sometimes you get lucky ... I'll know more if/when the emailed invoice is paid.

Looks good for another 100,000 miles. Hope you collect and charged what
the repair was worth..