Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Condensed Milk Brands

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

Nestlés as far as I recall.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 16:50:56 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

carnation did make it too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cond...w=1718&bih=863
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/04/2018 16:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

According to this website
https://www.thekitchn.com/what-s-the...ed-milk-125900

"Both condensed milk and evaporated milk are forms of concentrated milk
in which approximately 60 percent of the water content has been removed.
The major difference that sets these two canned milk products apart is
sugar content; sweetened condensed milk, as the name implies, is always
sweetened, while evaporated milk is unsweetened."

"Condensed milk contains 40 to 45 percent sugar." !!!!
(That's a lot of sugar.)

Why not just buy some evaporated milk and a large bag of sugar, then mix
them up to make condensed milk?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

--
TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

44 years ago I was Chief Engineer on a small oil tanker sailing out of
Fleetwood. Fleetwood is in Lancashire.
The milk supplied was condensed milk and I found it to be utterly
disgusting, both by taste and smell. The other members of the crew had no
problem with it. I drank my coffee black.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John Wrote in message:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

--
TOJ.

My dad swore by fussells. AIR boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel
!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...condensed+milk
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:10:06 GMT, The Other John
wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

I had a great aunt whose housekeeper made the most amazing fudge using
Fussels - back in the late 60s, early 70s. I think the formulation
got changed sometime after that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Bob Minchin
wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

What is?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 16:50:56 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

If it was old enough it might have been wartime National Milk.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:08:03 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

Tim Streater Wrote in message:

wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

What is?

Condensed milk.

But which? He's after a brand not a general source?...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webs...carnation+milk
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/258050084

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

What is?

Condensed milk.

But which? He's after a brand not a general source?...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webs...carnation+milk
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/258050084

Which ones are "mainly white label with possibly blue writing"? As
per op...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

What is?

Condensed milk.

But which? He's after a brand not a general source?...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webs...carnation+milk
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/258050084

Which ones are "mainly white label with possibly blue writing"? As
per op...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...CGIQ_B0IkAIwCg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel

I think that's why we bought it but never got round to using it. I've
discovered a 'best by' date on it of 'Dec 1995'! It's older than I
thought. Think it will be OK still?
--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 16:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

As others have said - Nestles and Fussels. If you're nostalgic for it,
get some Nestle Carnation Squeezy condensed milk, which is the same in a
handy dispenser.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

What is?

Condensed milk.

But which? He's after a brand not a general source?...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webs...carnation+milk
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/258050084

Which ones are "mainly white label with possibly blue writing"? As
per op...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...CGIQ_B0IkAIwCg

Is anyone actually in Australia though?

Maybe UK Carnation used the same 50 years ago? Are you just going to
ask questions and not look for answers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel

I think that's why we bought it but never got round to using it. I've
discovered a 'best by' date on it of 'Dec 1995'! It's older than I
thought. Think it will be OK still?

My dad would say - it'll be fine!
What've you got to lose?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 17:03, GB wrote:
On 19/04/2018 16:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

According to this website
https://www.thekitchn.com/what-s-the...ed-milk-125900

"Both condensed milk and evaporated milk are forms of concentrated milk
in which approximately 60 percent of the water content has been removed.
The major difference that sets these two canned milk products apart is
sugar content; sweetened condensed milk, as the name implies, is always
sweetened, while evaporated milk is unsweetened."

"Condensed milk contains 40 to 45 percent sugar."Â* !!!!
(That's a lot of sugar.)

Why not just buy some evaporated milk and a large bag of sugar, then mix
them up to make condensed milk?

Condensed milk came first (by about 70 years). It took that long to work
our how to concentrate tinned milk without sugar.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

--
TOJ.

My dad swore by fussells. AIR boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel
!

There are quite a few recipes that use this. I've been wondering about
cooking up a tin in a pressure cooker, to take the temperature a bit
higher (but still safely, on the assumption that nothing in there will
decompose to evolve significant amounts of gas). I suppose I could
always puncture the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/18 20:28, Jim K wrote:

Is anyone actually in Australia though?

No Jim. Its completely uninhabited

*plonk*

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Tenuous ?

Are you just going to spend more time being contrary?

See my other responses...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave W
wrote:

On 19/04/2018 16:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

As others have said - Nestles and Fussels. If you're nostalgic for it,
get some Nestle Carnation Squeezy condensed milk, which is the same in a
handy dispenser.

Oh don't tell me that. In Geneva I used to buy the same stuff in a
toothpaste tube format - what a temptation it was.

Very handy for ultra runners. I plan to slurp a couple of tubes in two
weeks time.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 22:21, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 19/04/18 20:28, Jim K wrote:

Is anyone actually in Australia though?

No Jim. Its completely uninhabited

Aren't there 1000ft cliffs all around it, with dinosaurs and
pterodactyls and stuff on top?

No, that's the Lost World.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!

The ones I remember are Carnation and Ideal evaporated, and Nestles
(pronounced Nestles not Nes-lay) condensed, the Nestles condensed being
in a tin with a blue and white label. The tin was more 'squat' than a
bean tin.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Oh don't tell me that. In Geneva I used to buy the same stuff in a
toothpaste tube format - what a temptation it was.

Very handy for ultra runners. I plan to slurp a couple of tubes in two
weeks time.

Far too more-ish, I found.

More-ish is good. The biggest problem with all gels and other high energy
foods is losing the appetite for them during an event.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/04/18 20:28, Jim K wrote:

Is anyone actually in Australia though?

No Jim. Its completely uninhabited

Aren't there 1000ft cliffs all around it, with dinosaurs and
pterodactyls and stuff on top?

No, that's the Lost World.

I didnt think Islington was like that...

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 16:50:56 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

I think my father's grocers shop (early 1960s to late 1970s) sold Fussells.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

44 years ago I was Chief Engineer on a small oil tanker sailing out of
Fleetwood. Fleetwood is in Lancashire.
The milk supplied was condensed milk and I found it to be utterly
disgusting, both by taste and smell. The other members of the crew had no
problem with it. I drank my coffee black.

Is there anything you do like? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy sweet
white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of stand baked
bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing on
it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall the
name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

best sooked out of a tube .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

--
TOJ.

My dad swore by fussells. AIR boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel
!

There are quite a few recipes that use this. I've been wondering about
cooking up a tin in a pressure cooker, to take the temperature a bit
higher (but still safely, on the assumption that nothing in there will
decompose to evolve significant amounts of gas). I suppose I could
always puncture the tin.

It's a pretty standard way of making the "offee" for Banoffee pie. (And
millionaires shortbread). I've never used a pressure cooker though, but
it is important to never let the pan boil dry - they have the potential
to explode otherwise.

Takes 2-3 hours, depending on how dark & thick you want it.

Never puncture the tin either - you'll end up with gloop all over
the place.

Of-course in these elf'n'safety days, they tell you not to do it,
but as long as the pan never boils dry, it's fine.

Or if you have lots of £ and like supporting Nestle then you can
but it already toffeed in the tin...

Cheers,

-Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2018 11:03, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10
years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must
have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until
recently.

--
TOJ.

My dad swore by fussells. AIR boil it gently, sealed in the tin,
in a saucepan of water & it turns into delicious caramel
!

When STWNFI does that. I leave the room!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 16:56, Tim+ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall
the name and it is bugging me now!
TIA
Bob

Nestlés as far as I recall.

Tim

Lidls sells it under their own brand name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 19:45, The Other John wrote:
It's older than I
thought. Think it will be OK still?

Probably not. I Opened a 12 yo 'emergency' tin
recently and it had turned into a foul tasting
yellowish jelly. I presume the milk protein will
eventually denature and you don't know what has
leached out of the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Probably not. I Opened a 12 yo 'emergency' tin
recently and it had turned into a foul tasting
yellowish jelly. I presume the milk protein will
eventually denature and you don't know what has
leached out of the tin.

Bin it is then! I'll open it to recycle the tin and see what's happened
to the contents.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bob Minchin
wrote:

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS,
Morrisons, etc.

Proved quite useful a few weeks back when our milkmen could get to us due
to the snow,possibly he could not get to his depot as it is 20 miles away.
Eventually we got to our nearest small town but no normal milk was to be
found ,many people were having a grumble. Quick look at the cooking section
of the only supermarket ,a CoOp and there plenty of condensed milk on the
shelf.
Purchased a couple and once home diluted some with water and used it .
Sweeter than normal milk especially for people like us who dont take sugar
in tea or coffee but better than nothing, excellent for the porridge which
I usually sweeten with honey and it made a nice rice pudding.

GH