Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default TOT Condensed Milk Brands

On 19/04/2018 17:03, GB wrote:
On 19/04/2018 16:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy
sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of
stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago.
My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing
on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

According to this website
https://www.thekitchn.com/what-s-the...ed-milk-125900

"Both condensed milk and evaporated milk are forms of concentrated milk
in which approximately 60 percent of the water content has been removed.
The major difference that sets these two canned milk products apart is
sugar content; sweetened condensed milk, as the name implies, is always
sweetened, while evaporated milk is unsweetened."

"Condensed milk contains 40 to 45 percent sugar."Â* !!!!
(That's a lot of sugar.)

Why not just buy some evaporated milk and a large bag of sugar, then mix
them up to make condensed milk?

Condensed milk came first (by about 70 years). It took that long to work
our how to concentrate tinned milk without sugar.

--
Max Demian