Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dangerous advice?

On 26/04/18 14:26, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 13:11:44 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/04/18 10:39, whisky-dave wrote:

How does a live or dead cable produce photons ?

AC current will generate photons (aka radio waves)

Unless your are talking about then Gestalt Aether Theory then prove it.

Science doesnt work on proof. It works on refutation.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 14:20:58 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 12:52:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/04/18 11:48, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 10:39:53 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/04/18 10:29, whisky-dave wrote:

it's not a cable it's a wire. Do you know the differnce.

I certainly do not.

Then why not look it up, educate yourself.
http://www.differencebetween.info/di...cable-and-wire

one man's semantic pedantry

When working in education you really should try to get things like this correct.
As I explained to the academic that asked me to take the Vandergraaf generator and a meter to a lectuer room.
I asked her what sort of meter as I don't think we've ever used one in the past, she said oh sorry I'm bulgarian when I said a meter I ment a metre stick, you know the rulers you keep in the lab.

Tell us oh great one, when is a wire not a cable and vice versa?

Now you need to educate yuorself on the differnce bewteeen potential difference and voltage.
http://www.differencebetween.info/di...ial-difference

Oh dear.

In that article: "Electric potential difference is the same as voltage"

But NOT in calculations, we always use voltage when we mean potentail differnce.
We say that V=IR so without current there is NO voltage so in that case a live wire could be considered dead, but that doesn't mean there is NO potentail differnce, and that for me is the differnce.

It;s like standing on the edge of a cliff, theer'es the potential to kill yuotself by falling but if you don't fall that deosn't mean there is no danger/risk.

you might also need to understand what is actual meant by live.

I am smiling - do carry on.

OK Live today we are watching live football but is it at 240V ?
Why use the term live do you even know ?
So what voltages do you think we can say the wire/cable is live can we say it's live if we have 1V on it ?
Is static electricity live ?
So a charged ballon can be live.

and when is a PP3 battery dead or any other battery.
I have about 100 AAs, AAAs, 2032, PP3s and other batteries in a bucket to be recycled people tell me they have dead batteries but some of them sghow 0.8V and when tested have 20% power remaining and measure above 1 volt are those batteries dead or alive ?

you're a hoot
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 April 2018 02:37:46 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

If yuo're going to use such stupid terms as dead or alive to decribe such things then maybe you also think that everything is black & white right and left , right and wrong.
The word live comes from the 1500s it meant having energy it, originaly came fron alive as a person could be alive or dead.

(As I explained earlier Dead or Alive the band fronted by Pete Burns)

But I''m not sure if they knew what dead was either. I think it was fist used in describing amunition as in live amunition and dead amunition (already used).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 April 2018 11:36:45 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 27 April 2018 02:37:46 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

anything to veer away from admitting that you're lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 03:58:19 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
"A live wire is a wire with current flowing through it. Because neutral
doesn't have any current in it, but line does, you could say that line
is live. This explains why that you can be shocked from touching just
the line. You can't be by touching just the neutral or ground. Line to
neutral is the most deadliest if it travels across you. Line to ground
will tingle a lot, but it won't necessarily kill you because the current
draw isn't nearly as much as line to neutral."

from: http://www.answers.com/Q/Is_line_wir...lled_live_wire

Bill

In your dreams, grab hold of a "live' wire and prove I'm wrong then.

Most dangerous tool in shop Sweet Sawdust Woodworking 137 February 11th 15 04:44 PM
dangerous chimney? JK UK diy 7 June 19th 04 02:30 PM
Humor: Dangerous Cocobolo! Bob Davis Woodworking 26 April 3rd 04 01:11 AM
Fwd: Dangerous way of getting 220V from 110V outlets jim rozen Metalworking 43 October 29th 03 11:40 PM
Suggested safety material for the "Most dangerous tool in shop" Walter H. Klaus Woodworking 3 August 28th 03 12:23 PM