Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Kitchen sink waste

If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

--

Adam

Problem is it would be classed as foul waste (kitchen grease food
fragments etc) and so come under building regs which are enshrined in
law. It will stink after a while.
If it does not cause a nuisance to others then you will possibly get
away with it.
For years I have a washing machine in my garage discharging into a 50
gallon drum with a seep hose discharging on the gravel between my house
and neighbours. I just raked over the gravel now and then when it
started turning white with the detergent residues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Recycle plastic cartons like butter etc, OK?

In V1 of our council's scheme they wouldn't take butter/yoghurt
containers, in V2 they will take them, along with plenty of other things
they previously wouldn't.

No matter how diligent you are, when you have finished there is a
residue, so you wash them oin the sink and all that fat goes down and
creates fat burgs

I don't dick about washing anything that's going into recycling ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-04-14, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Recycle plastic cartons like butter etc, OK?

In V1 of our council's scheme they wouldn't take butter/yoghurt
containers, in V2 they will take them, along with plenty of other things
they previously wouldn't.

Which is one of the (several) things that **** me off about so-called
"recycling" schemes. There should be a single country-wide scheme.
Preferably like the one here, where all recyclable waste goes into
a single bin.

And as for idiotic schemes where stuff marked as recyclable isn't
accepted, words fail me.

No matter how diligent you are, when you have finished there is a
residue, so you wash them oin the sink and all that fat goes down and
creates fat burgs

I don't dick about washing anything that's going into recycling ...

Good man, me neither. Use my expensively heated metered water to
wash garbage? Forget it.

I'm reasonably sure that if you did a Total Cost analysis of domestic
recycling schemes, they'd be shown to be pointless. The only reason
they "work" is the artificially inflated cost of land-fill and because
they push a lot of the cost onto the householder, where it's hidden.

I'm inclined to agree. But suitable incinerators do potentially supply
some useful energy, and there is an externality cost to land-fill, even
if it is normally likely to be rather lower than the "tax".

Round here it is the greenies who are most likely to oppose the
incinerator, which I find somewhat ironic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guarantees employment for sewer technician.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine that depends on what you put down the sink!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 April 2018 16:10:53 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

If it's an old house with shallow foundations, the law of gravity might get broken

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 16:10, ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

--

Adam

Possibly none - as long as none of it finds its way into a water course.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/04/2018 23:30, Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/04/2018 16:10, ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

Possibly none - as long as none of it finds its way into a water course.

Bugger.

I now wish I had not spotted this problem. The nearest river is very
close. In fact so close that a 3m length of waste pipe could easily
discharge the kitchen sink waste into the river.

A small house with a few little quirks.

I cannot find a stop tap or indeed the entry point of a water pipe into
the building and I have no idea where the saniflow from one of the two
toilets pumps to.

Now I would say that I know buildings better than most people but this
one has me baffled. A 3 hour search today looking for the mains water
entry point revealed nothing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 16:10, ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

Possibly none - as long as none of it finds its way into a water course.

Bugger.

I now wish I had not spotted this problem. The nearest river is very
close. In fact so close that a 3m length of waste pipe could easily
discharge the kitchen sink waste into the river.

A small house with a few little quirks.

I cannot find a stop tap or indeed the entry point of a water pipe into
the building and I have no idea where the saniflow from one of the two
toilets pumps to.

Now I would say that I know buildings better than most people but this
one has me baffled. A 3 hour search today looking for the mains water
entry point revealed nothing.

Look outside for stop tap under metal cover.
Look in neighbour's house.
In old buildings, one stop tap sometimes covered several houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 16:10, ARW wrote:
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no drains) what laws are been broken?

Possibly none - as long as none of it finds its way into a water course.

Bugger.

I now wish I had not spotted this problem. The nearest river is very
close. In fact so close that a 3m length of waste pipe could easily
discharge the kitchen sink waste into the river.

A small house with a few little quirks.

I cannot find a stop tap or indeed the entry point of a water pipe into
the building and I have no idea where the saniflow from one of the two
toilets pumps to.

Now I would say that I know buildings better than most people but this
one has me baffled. A 3 hour search today looking for the mains water
entry point revealed nothing.

I assume you are on an unmetered supply, or a stopcock would have been
fitted next to the meter. Mind you, if you have considered having a
meter fitted, your water supplier would have to find a suitable place
for it and put a stopcock next to it; might save you a bit of bother
searching for it. Anyway, if you have a stopcock, it might be outside
somewhere which has been covered by soil.

In our last house (fairly new - built in 1978) I looked under the
kitchen sink for a stopcock as I wanted to replace the taps. There
wasn't one, and I couldn't see where the mains water pipe went after it
disappeared into the floor. A few weeks later, by sheer chance, I was
clearing out a kitchen cupboard on an internal wall which backed onto
the cloakroom and found a chipboard "false" wall and shelf over it,
going back a few inches to the real wall. After removing the shelf, I
found the stopcock. So it appeared that the mains supply entered the
house under the front door, hall, and cloakroom, and then went into a
kitchen cupboard. Needless to say, it then took an hour to loosen the
stopcock so I could actually make use of it...

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/04/2018 16:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

A metered supply with a the meter outside not far away. Of course it's
full if **** so I don't know if its a copper or MDPE pipe I am looking
for. Just inside the building from the meter is an old capped off stop
tap with a lead pipe.

Solid floors and no sign of a pipe (other than the capped off one)
coming up out of the floor. I had all the kick boards off and hammered
away the dot and dab plasterboard behind them to see if there was a
buried pipe.

That just leaves the stud wall between the kitchen and toilet with the
saniflow (the saniflow disappears into the stud wall) and I do not have
permission to damage that wall.

Now the other toilet waste just disappears straight down and there is no
soil stack at all on or in the building.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 April 2018 12:22:57 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
That just leaves the stud wall between the kitchen and toilet with the
saniflow (the saniflow disappears into the stud wall) and I do not have
permission to damage that wall.

Chuck some dye down it, at least that will tell you if it's coming out near the river.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2018 10:05, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Where does the legislation for Scotland mean water from a kitchen sink
is not "foul"? AFAICS the position seems to be as in England.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Rubbish, it is grey water, not waste water. Needs to be
connected to mains sewage or a private treatment system.

With a river 3 metres away, there are some potentially
big fines for contaminating water courses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/18 10:05, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden
(ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

There is a distinction between grey water and sewage, but you don't want
even grey water getting into a water course.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden
(ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

There is a distinction between grey water and sewage,

Not for Jim. He doesnt even take the dishes out first....

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden
(ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

There is a distinction between grey water and sewage,

Not for Jim. He doesnt even take the dishes out first....

sorry i am old fashioned and favour the three pipe system just like the old
sensible days ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden
(ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

There is a distinction between grey water and sewage, but you don't want
even grey water getting into a water course.

grey water is waste water yes......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert!

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:47:49 +0100, Jim.GM4DHJ ... another notorious,
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered:

There is a distinction between grey water and sewage, but you don't want
even grey water getting into a water course.

grey water is waste water yes......

That's what YOU got for grey matter, cretin!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

not in my book ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

not in my book ......

Up to the age of 14 I lived in a house with only a rudimentary soak away
for the outflow from the kitchen sink. It was in the middle of an area
about 12 ft square planted with bushes. It never stank, or seemed to
cause a problem.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

not in my book ......

Up to the age of 14 I lived in a house with only a rudimentary soak away
for the outflow from the kitchen sink. It was in the middle of an area
about 12 ft square planted with bushes. It never stank, or seemed to cause
a problem.

Mike

there you go ...just what I was saying wasn't much of a problem and got
called a dick head for my trouble.........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"ARW" wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

Waste water is foul water dickhead

not in my book ......

We know that dear.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

It can still contain some nasty chemicals from washing machines and
dishwashers, which you wouldn't want to get into a water supply.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden (ie
no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

It can still contain some nasty chemicals from washing machines and
dishwashers, which you wouldn't want to get into a water supply.

yes but one wee sink into a soakaway is not going to kill anybody ......the
dickheads are the diy punters that stick a cludgy or shower into the rw side
of a two pipe system .........just because it was handy......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* wrote in message
If the kitchen sink waste is just discharging into the back garden
(ie no
drains) what laws are been broken?

it's waste water not foul so who cares ..........

It can still contain some nasty chemicals from washing machines and
dishwashers, which you wouldn't want to get into a water supply.

Not to mention the problems for aquatic wildlife if phosphate
rich detergent residues are allowed to contaminate watercourses.