Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stuck lock...

Neighbour asked for help today. Or rather the sister of that neighbour.
They're French.

Neighbours (husband and wife) are in France. Sister house sitting -
presumably because of the two teenage kids at school here.

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock the
inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the window etc.

And that is on. Both the keys they have open the door from the outside,
but neither will work in the lock in the handle. Probably copies which are
OK in the often used outer lock, but not on the seldom used inner one.

At the moment, one of the kids goes out via the window and opens the door
from the outside...

I offered to remove the lock and see if I could open it in the workshop.
but thought it prudent to talk to the owner first on the phone. Who didn't
want the lock removed. ;-) Tried to explain my lock is similar, and they
come off and go back easily. But although her English is much better than
my French, difficult to get that across.

Obviously, tried some WD 40 type stuff. No success.

Could have just latched it open, but they don't have a key for the fitted
mortise lock.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock the
inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the window etc.

Euro, Yale or some other type?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that you can unlock the door
from the outside but the internal handle still won't move? Or does the
internal handle then move, but you can't then lock it from the inside?
If you can't unlock the internal handle and open the door from the
inside, I'd not like to think of the consequences of a sudden fire.

Out of interest, if the handle is put in the lock position with the door
open, and the key used to lock it, will it then turn to unlock it with
the door open, and the key never having been removed? I ask only because
sometimes the key will not turn in our lock unless the internal handle
is pushed down another mm. Once fully down, it will turn to lock it; I
wondered if something similar is going on but with an "unlock" turn. If
it still doesn't turn, does pushing up or down one of the locking
"claws" make any difference?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does it work when the door is open?

Have you also tried pulling the key out by about 1mm before turning in case
there was a cutting error.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 18:28, Jeff Layman wrote:

snip

Out of interest, if the handle is put in the lock position with the door
open, and the key used to lock it, will it then turn to unlock it with
the door open, and the key never having been removed? I ask only because
sometimes the key will not turn inÂ* our lock unless the internal handle
is pushed down another mm. Once fully down, it will turn to lock it; I
wondered if something similar is going on but with an "unlock" turn. If
it still doesn't turn, does pushing up or down one of the locking
"claws" make any difference?

I've known Euro locks on modern doors which behave like that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it's like mine, the inside lock locks the *handle* such that it won't
turn regardless of the state of the door. The normal way of using it is
to lock the handle, and then slam lock the door from the outside. You
can unlock the door with the key, but if someone breaks the glass and
reached through, they can't turn the handle to open the door.

So, when locked in this way, the door can't be opened from the inside -
not recommended when there are people inside!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:55:23 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

If it's like mine, the inside lock locks the *handle* such that it won't
turn regardless of the state of the door. The normal way of using it is
to lock the handle, and then slam lock the door from the outside. You
can unlock the door with the key, but if someone breaks the glass and
reached through, they can't turn the handle to open the door.

So, when locked in this way, the door can't be opened from the inside -
not recommended when there are people inside!

We have one like that. BS3621 Yale cylinder lock with a large number of
differs.

I have changed the cylinder twice now due to lost keys. It doesn't change
the inside lock, so we can't use that anyway. I never liked the idea, and
it certainly wasn't why we got that lock; it just saved having the
mortice one that the insurance company otherwise insisted upon. And it's
a solid door anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock the
inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the window etc.

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand. Big and shiny chrome and looked pretty new. An
expensive brand like Chubb, I'd guess.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that you can unlock the door
from the outside but the internal handle still won't move? Or does the
internal handle then move, but you can't then lock it from the inside?
If you can't unlock the internal handle and open the door from the
inside, I'd not like to think of the consequences of a sudden fire.

Very common with this type of lock. You should only lock the inside handle
when the house is vacant.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

They had two keys. One sort of started to move it - the other not at all.
Both worked just fine on the outside part. I fiddled for ages - thinking I
might 'whisper' it. ;-)

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I have changed the cylinder twice now due to lost keys. It doesn't
change the inside lock, so we can't use that anyway. I never liked the
idea, and it certainly wasn't why we got that lock; it just saved
having the mortice one that the insurance company otherwise insisted
upon. And it's a solid door anyway.

One benefit (or not) is if you are out and burgled, the thief can't easily
open the front door for his escape.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

--
*When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

You should only lock the inside handle
when the house is vacant.

I keep a key on a string inside, where I know it will be if I need to
get out, but far-enough away and round a corner so it isn't 'fishable'
through the letter box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 00:57:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

I thought of that. Wonder if one of the kids found an old key ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 00:50:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock the
inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the window
etc.

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand. Big and shiny chrome and looked pretty new. An
expensive brand like Chubb, I'd guess.

Could be a Yale like mine:

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale...o-deadlocking-
nightlatch-40mm.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand. Big and shiny chrome and looked pretty new. An
expensive brand like Chubb, I'd guess.

Not much you can do if they don't want it touched

Could be a Yale like mine:

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale-pbs2-auto-deadlocking-nightlatch-40mm.html

Previously I had one of these (was Chubb back then)

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/union-4l67e-deadbolt-nightlatch-60mm.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock the
inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the window etc.

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand.

So as you say yours is similar, what brand is yours?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 09:00:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand. Big and shiny chrome and looked pretty new. An
expensive brand like Chubb, I'd guess.

Not much you can do if they don't want it touched

Could be a Yale like mine:

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale...o-deadlocking-

nightlatch-40mm.html

Previously I had one of these (was Chubb back then)

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/union-4l67e-deadbolt-

nightlatch-60mm.html

Rather more expensive than mine...but by the time I'd paid for the door
release...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

I thought of that. Wonder if one of the kids found an old key ...

Only chatted to the daughter whose English is perfect, having spent most
of her life in the UK. She couldn't explain why it was locked. I guessed
the parents had done it when leaving, using a key they'd taken with them.
But we did have the mother's set to try. That was the one which moved the
lock slightly - the other key not at all. But both worked fine on the
outside barrel.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The front door has once of those night latches where you can lock
the inside handle - to stop the door being opened by breaking the
window etc.

Euro, Yale or some other type?

Not sure of the brand.

So as you say yours is similar, what brand is yours?

Mine is a Chubb, but uses an entirely different type of key. More like a
mortice lock key (but shorter) than the usual night latch 'flat' type.

IIRC, mine was the first night latch that conformed to the standard for a
single lock on a front door, whatever that BS number is. It's several
years old now.

BTW, they have a locksmith in at the moment. ;-)

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Rather more expensive than mine...but by the time I'd paid for the door
release...

Love to know what the locksmith's bill will be. I'd have fitted a new lock
the same as the old for a cup of coffee. ;-)

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2018 08:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

You should only lock the inside handle
when the house is vacant.

I keep a key on a string inside, where I know it will be if I need to
get out, but far-enough away and round a corner so it isn't 'fishable'
through the letter box.

Just wait until drones are small enough to fit through the letter box!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Bob wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

They would have to have locked it and then mislaid the key they used to
lock it.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

They would have to have locked it and then mislaid the key they used to
lock it.

How did they get out of the house when going off to France, then?

You can't open the closed door from the inside...

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

Often people change the outer cylinder but forget about the inner which
may be still keyed to an old key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

andy burns says...

I keep a key on a string inside

ours was on a keyring and hung on a hook.

The string is more to stop me thinking
"where's my keyring? I know, I'll take the spare" ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 23:49:57 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I didn't forget - I just couldn't get a matched pair of cylinders. And
they would probably have cost more than a new lock, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Roger wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:48:14 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

Very likely - that happened to mine (see other post).

Err, how did it get locked, then?

They would have to have locked it and then mislaid the key they used to
lock it.

How did they get out of the house when going off to France, then?

You can't open the closed door from the inside...

The same way that you're supposed to use those locks! You lock it while
the door is open, then slam it shut from the outside. Simples!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 21:10:46 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 04/04/2018 14:41, Terry Casey wrote:
In ,
says...

Obviously, tried some WD 40 type stuff. No success.

Could have just latched it open, but they don't have a key for the
fitted mortise lock.

Are you sure there isn't another key somewhere? If the outer rim lock
has ever been replaced, its key may no longer match the inner part.

When we had problems with our Yale lock I assumed the cylynder was worn
so I contacted Yale to ask if they could supply a matching cylinder or,
if not, a new matching pair.

They replied that they couldn't but suggested it was extremely unlikely
to be due to wear and suggested trickling some light oil into the slot.

I did and it worked - and has continued to do so ever since.

I'm not sure WD40 would work as well as it isn't intended for use as a
lubricant.

No. Graphite powder is the stuff, like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Locksmiths-...e-Lubrication/

dp/B008OH957A

It lasts for ever. I've still got a similar one I bought about 40 years
ago.

It does indeed last forever. We have one, and I got one for M-I-L when
she had a sticky lock. I posted it to her, and when she next visited she
brought it back - wouldn't keep 'your oil'. So now we have two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
They would have to have locked it and then mislaid the key they used to
lock it.

How did they get out of the house when going off to France, then?

You can't open the closed door from the inside...

The same way that you're supposed to use those locks! You lock it while
the door is open, then slam it shut from the outside. Simples!

Ah - right. They locked it then threw away the key. ;-)

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I do not have any of these problems I just put new pins in to match the
new key on the front lock
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

Well, I could have done that. But for safety reasons, we don't lock it on
the inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Well, I could have done that. But for safety reasons, we don't lock it
on the inside.

Why pay for an expensive lock and not use it as intended? You could have
saved money with a basic one.

And how is this type of lock more dangerous than the mortise lock most
front doors have for insurance purposes?

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 11:03:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Well, I could have done that. But for safety reasons, we don't lock it
on the inside.

Why pay for an expensive lock and not use it as intended? You could have
saved money with a basic one.

Because it has other features. Many more differs than a standard rim
lock. Deadlocking (anti-carding). Protection against jiggling. More
attachment points. Rated at BS3621.

Apart from making it easier for thieves to exit, it's just as secure as a
mortise lock since it's a solid door.

And how is this type of lock more dangerous than the mortise lock most
front doors have for insurance purposes?

It's as dangerous as a mortise lock, if locked from the inside. One of
the reasons I didn't want a mortise lock.

Frigidaire Range Lock Stuck with door open MoonsOfJupiter Home Repair 4 March 11th 19 12:44 AM
Trailer hitch lock is stuck TomR[_3_] Home Repair 28 July 13th 17 06:14 PM
Stuck pad lock Bill Stock Home Repair 11 June 28th 07 08:38 PM
Spindle Lock Stuck on Milwaukee Circular Saw C. Schmidt Woodworking 3 April 21st 05 07:56 PM
Frigidaire Oven lock stuck MoonsOfJupiter Home Ownership 1 August 16th 04 12:36 PM