Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a chimney

I have an external structure Im using to House my smoker.
The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2€ pipe would be enough ... though could be bigger, dont really want bigger than 4€.
Needs to able to let smoke out and stop rain coming in ....

Anybody think of a fitting that I can use ... simple flange fitting would be ideal ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 10:20:28 -0700, Osprey wrote:

I have an external structure Im using to House my smoker.
The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put
in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2€ pipe would be
enough ... though could be bigger, dont really want bigger than 4€.
Needs to able to let smoke out and stop rain coming in ....

Anybody think of a fitting that I can use ... simple flange fitting
would be ideal ....

How hot is the smoke likely to be?

If you are cool/cold smoking then you might get away with drainpipe or
soil pipe.

Or find someone who still has old iron drain pipes.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 18:31, David wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 10:20:28 -0700, Osprey wrote:

I have an external structure Im using to House my smoker.
The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put
in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2€ pipe would be
enough ... though could be bigger, dont really want bigger than 4€.
Needs to able to let smoke out and stop rain coming in ....

Anybody think of a fitting that I can use ... simple flange fitting
would be ideal ....

How hot is the smoke likely to be?

If you are cool/cold smoking then you might get away with drainpipe or
soil pipe.

Or find someone who still has old iron drain pipes.

Cheers

Dave R

If it is warmer you need something like this

http://www.i-sells.co.uk/semi-rigid-...CABEgL_u_D_BwE

To keep rain out, probably best to fabricate a little "roof" something
like a traditional chimney cowl. Or just bend hose to face downwards?

50 mm sounds a bit small to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 10:20:28 -0700, Osprey wrote:

I have an external structure Im using to House my smoker.
The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put
in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2€ pipe would be
enough ... though could be bigger, dont really want bigger than 4€.
Needs to able to let smoke out and stop rain coming in ....

Anybody think of a fitting that I can use ... simple flange fitting
would be ideal ....

How hot is the smoke likely to be?

If you are cool/cold smoking then you might get away with drainpipe or
soil pipe.

Or find someone who still has old iron drain pipes.

Might be something suitable in the galvanised air duct suppliers.

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/04/2018 18:31, David wrote:

How hot is the smoke likely to be?

If you are cool/cold smoking then you might get away with drainpipe or
soil pipe.

Out of interest, does a chimney work at all with cold smoke? I thought
it needs hot smoke to rise inside the chimney?

If the chimney is not going to draw, the OP might as well just make a
vent in the wall or leave the door open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 13:14, GB wrote:
On 01/04/2018 18:31, David wrote:

How hot is the smoke likely to be?

If you are cool/cold smoking then you might get away with drainpipe or
soil pipe.

Out of interest, does a chimney work at all with cold smoke? I thought
it needs hot smoke to rise inside the chimney?

Cold smoke is still warmish in the sense of not cold and rises slowly,
it just isn't warm enough to cook whatever is being smoked.

If the chimney is not going to draw, the OP might as well just make a
vent in the wall or leave the door open.

3" mild steel pipe with an old bean can on top cross wise would get my
vote (assuming function is more important than form).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 18:20, Osprey wrote:
I have an external structure Im using to House my smoker.
The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2€ pipe would be enough ... though could be bigger, dont really want bigger than 4€.
Needs to able to let smoke out and stop rain coming in ....

Anybody think of a fitting that I can use ... simple flange fitting would be ideal ....

or perhaps correct term is need a flue