Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default OT - Saucepan handle

One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:23:19 +0000, GB
wrote:

One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Something I would expect the son to do, not the father!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2018 18:23, GB wrote:
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

I take it the stews in that pan are started on the hob and then
transferred to the oven to simmer. 200C is way to high for that sort of
stewing. Also, many handles have a lower tolerance of heat than the pan
body - often 175C. So imv 200C for any significant time is far too
severe a test.

--
Oliver
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Not sure if theres any point in trying to €śstew€ť something in a closed lid
pan at anything much over 100C.

As long as theres water to boil off the temperature of the stew isnt
going to go much (if any) higher than that anyway. Ive never €śstewed€ť
anything at 200C.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2018 19:31, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

So what was the original handle made of, (meltable) plastic?

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Not sure if theres any point in trying to €śstew€ť something in a closed lid
pan at anything much over 100C.

As long as theres water to boil off the temperature of the stew isnt
going to go much (if any) higher than that anyway. Ive never €śstewed€ť
anything at 200C.

Probably 140 °C is enough, unless you want to be sure that it heats up
quickly, in which case you start it at 180 °C (preheated).

Generally it's better to use a vessel with small handles rather than a
long handle like a saucepan if you are going to put it in the oven.

Asian hardware stores sell loads of these, but you have to be careful as
some have plastic knobs and handles - presumably for cooking on the hob.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 18:23:23 UTC, GB wrote:
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

at 180 it'll gradually brown & char as does food.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 5:23:23 AM UTC+11, GB wrote:
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Perhaps a heat-shrinkeable Silicone rubber sleeve over the glued assembly might help prevent the adhesive heating and meleting or cracking up.
I used an metal_based epoxy (bought in an Autospares outlet) for a similar handle of a round metal pan and it withstood high heat of a gas fleme stove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 18:35:10 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:23:19 +0000, GB

Something I would expect the son to do, not the father!

How about the holy spirit ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:53:16 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:23:19 +0000, GB wrote:

One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of resin
has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Table 1 on this pdf suggests 200C is getting pretty close to ignition
https://bit.ly/2GhEeF4 and scroll down

Ignition temperature for cellulose based reading matter, according to
Ray Bradbury and my 8 digit calculator, corresponds to a temperature of
232.77777 deg C. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2018 18:05:55 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

Wood contains resin which is much more flashpointy. That's removed in papermaking.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

I am afraid Ray Bradbury's title annoyed me in the same way so much of
his work did. I dislike science fiction by people who obviously have no
grasp of science or engineering. The title is a gross example of
spurious precision, If the proposition that paper ignites in air at
about 450degF is true at all, then it would be reasonable to expect in
practice that it happened for a given book somewhere between +/- say
50degF of this figure.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude
wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me
that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews.

I stuck it in the oven at 150C for a few hours, and quite a bit of
resin has oozed out of the wood, but the wood isn't burning.

I've just turned it up to 180C, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Just make a steel handle, then you only need to worry if the oven
starts to melt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

====snip====

Any idea how hot it can go before it chars or bursts into flames? I'm
told that sometimes stews go up to 200C.

Just make a steel handle, then you only need to worry if the oven starts
to melt.

LOL! :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Saucepan question newshound UK diy 3 May 27th 14 01:11 PM
Electric Kettle or Gas Saucepan Cheapest Use? T Bently UK diy 52 September 23rd 13 01:22 PM
Delaminating saucepan Geoff Mills UK diy 7 January 24th 10 09:41 AM
Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle Rog Woodturning 3 December 6th 06 09:00 AM
Saucepan handle john UK diy 3 November 5th 05 11:02 PM