Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saucepan question

We have some cheap but perfectly functional stainless steel saucepans
with glass lids. Another feature which they have is a second (thin)
stainless steel baseplate. One of the saucepans has started to
delaminate badly, so I pulled the baseplate off to investigate (by hand,
relatively easily). I was interested to discover that the two layers
were originally bonded together by "soldering" with some form of white
metal alloy, softer than the stainless but (by a scratch test) harder
than typical aluminium sheet. The bond was not particularly strong but
it certainly appeared to have wetted both sides originally. Anyone got
an idea what the material might be? (Next time I am in a lab with
SEM/EDAX I will see if I can sneek in a sample, but I don't know when
that might be). I am assuming it might be unwise to continue using the
pan with a gas flame now playing directly on the "solder". Obviously, I
could attack it with a propane torch to see if I can get back to the
stainless pan body, but I guess that is likely to distort it (as well as
creating a thicker oxide).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes:
[...]

Are you sure the extra base is stanless steel? It's expensive and
has poor heat properties for a pan base, which is why an aluminium
or copper base is often attached to stainless steel pans.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Electric Kettle or Gas Saucepan Cheapest Use? T Bently UK diy 52 September 23rd 13 01:22 PM
Delaminating saucepan Geoff Mills UK diy 7 January 24th 10 09:41 AM
Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle Rog Woodturning 3 December 6th 06 09:00 AM
Saucepan handle john UK diy 3 November 5th 05 11:02 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Cuprager UK diy 0 April 21st 05 04:58 PM