Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rog Rog is offline

Default Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have been wood turning for about four years now. Over
those years I've lurked this group on a regular basis.

I need to replace the handle/knob off a saucepan lid and was wondering
what would be a suitable wood to use (and available in the UK) to
withstand the heat and steam. The existing knob is a light coloured
wood (yellowy orange) but I've no idea what.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Rog
I would use beech or sycamore which were commonly used before plastic,
you should be able to find both easily here in th UK.
Cheers Michael
http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Rog wrote in news:not_here-31EFE1.10111805122006
@News-West.Usenet.com:

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have been wood turning for about four years now. Over
those years I've lurked this group on a regular basis.

I need to replace the handle/knob off a saucepan lid and was wondering
what would be a suitable wood to use (and available in the UK) to
withstand the heat and steam. The existing knob is a light coloured
wood (yellowy orange) but I've no idea what.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com

Rog,
Just about any hardwood should be suitable. I would suggest a wood with a
very tight grain.
Regards,
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rog Rog is offline

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi Rog
I would use beech or sycamore which were commonly used before plastic,
you should be able to find both easily here in th UK.
Cheers Michael
http://www.usenet.com

Thanks for the replies, I'll give those a go.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com

Suitable wood [email protected] Woodworking 14 December 3rd 05 11:17 PM
Saucepan handle john UK diy 3 November 5th 05 11:02 PM
handle for older solid wood door Ian Home Repair 4 September 8th 05 04:57 PM
(Q) Online Listing of Suitable Turning Wood Greg G. Woodturning 18 October 12th 04 02:01 PM
Chisel Handle wood choices Mike Woodworking 22 November 6th 03 09:04 PM