Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does old PVA glue go off?

I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

Think it would go hard first. You did mix it well?

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

Think it would go hard first. You did mix it well?

I had a 1 litre tub, like a yougurt pot under the sink
for a few years and when I came to use it, it had
developed a nice thick layer of blackish mould.

However, it came off in more or less one big dollop,
a bit like the crust on clotted cream and the rest of
it seemed to work just fine. Smelt no different to the
new stuff.

PVA really needs to be applied to nice clean wood surfaces
and clamped. If you are repairing a broken, previously
glued joint, you might be better off using something like
Gorilla glue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well it depends on whether its been near water or open in a damp atmosphere.
I've seen it be totally useless, but it still looks liquid but a little less
pale than it used to be.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting assembled
with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2018 14:32, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

Think it would go hard first. You did mix it well?

I had a 1 litre tub, like a yougurt pot under the sink
for a few years and when I came to use it, it had
developed a nice thick layer of blackish mould.

However, it came off in more or less one big dollop,
a bit like the crust on clotted cream and the rest of
it seemed to work just fine. Smelt no different to the
new stuff.

Two weeks ago I started cleaning out my junk room where I keep half tins
of paint, half tubs of tile cement and an old tub of PVA.

Like you my tub of PVA had developed a thick layer of black mould
turning the PVA into something akin to cottage cheese. The smell was
rather unpleasant. This has now been chucked out along with the solid
tile cement and the paint that was more skin and rust rather than
liquid. There was also the 3 litres of white emulsion that had gone
stagnant with a purple/green tinge.

Strangely the very old can of **** brown paint that once matched the
colour of my tendy bathroom suite seemed to be in perfect condition.
That too went down to the local tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

They don't make em like they used to :-) including **** brown
bathroom suites?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 21/03/2018 16:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

If this is the same stuff that is used pre skimming then I am still
using from a gallon container which must be at least 10 years old by
now, I use it watered down for sticking labels to envelopes and sticking
down flaps on cardboard boxes. It is still `strong` as everytime I have
to make a new mix I have to use pliers to open the container. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 14:05:01 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

It goes mouldy eventually, 10 yrs or so, but remove the mould & what remains still glues ok if you can abide the smell.

In future I might add something to prevent mould. Not borax

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 14:05:01 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and
horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting
assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy
liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

--
Adrian C

I've had old stuff separate out into a clear liquid and a white rubbery solid.
Frost affects it as well.
Do a test before you use. Glue two bits of paper together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2018 07:37, harry wrote:

Do a test before you use. Glue two bits of paper together.

You need something stronger than paper to test it. Two strips of scrap
soft wood would be better and glue at right angles so you have two
handles to hold when trying to pull the bond apart. You can then see if
the glue to wood bond fails or it's the wood itself that is the weakest
point.